Best heavy metal- Started as a courtesy to Buffalo Barbarian.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know Sabaton?

They seem to base their songs on military history. I'm not convinced of the music, but anyone who writes a song about the 7th Panzer Division can't be too bad.

Wow sounds like glam rock meets Dream theather, better luck next time

not the heaviest band, not the heaviest song, but i like it quite a bit.

not bad, plus having Napalm Death frontman Mark Greenway guest vocals doesn't hurt.

Yeah, I've gotten hooked on Mastodon. Their quirky progressive-metal sound is right up my alley. Take for instance:

I mean, really? Snorting wood chips? Light-up titties? SIGN ME UP.

Not a Mastodon fan but this solid, Blood and Thunder was a good jam

Old school Death Metal still the best, here is a classic from English death band Bolt thrower. the 7th song Ritual has heavy opening riffs .

"They formed in 1986 and released their first album with Vinyl Solution in 1988. The band then shifted to a new record label, Earache Records, soon becoming one of the best selling bands on that label. Their current label is Metal Blade Records. The band has had a succession of members and have toured Europe, the United States, and Australia. The band takes its name from a weapon in the popular tabletop strategy game Warhammer Fantasy Battle."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolt_Thrower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Y3iSKOeJk

One of the side benefits of listening to Mastodon is it's opened up a whole other genre of metal for me. Found this recently: Baroness

Yeah, I like Baronness as well. It's nice to hear something heavy where the vocals are actual singing and not unintelligible ogre croaks for a change.

Yeah, I like Baronness as well. It's nice to hear something heavy where the vocals are actual singing and not unintelligible ogre croaks for a change.

where is the fun in that :D. for me the growls are just another instrument and adds to the heaviness of the song.

Although if a band has something to say then understanding is nice which is why I like Hatebreed

where is the fun in that :D. for me the growls are just another instrument and adds to the heaviness of the song.

A lot of people feel like you do. I don't mind if a vocalist uses a voice like that occasionally, but like with rap, if there's no melody in the vocal part, then it's just rhythm. Metal used to have some of the best vocalists outside of opera - singers like Ian Gillan, Dio, Rob Halford, (and if you consider them to be from metal bands) Robert Plant, David Byron, David Coverdale, etc.

Since the old days of metal, the level of musicianship among the instrumentalists has begun to approach virtuosity, but instead of exploiting an entire range of melodic potential by actually singing, most metal vocalists today are falling over each other to sound exactly the same as each other; ie like they're some kind of dark lord that just walked straight out of a Diablo game. It is a matter of taste though. That's why I've all but stopped listening to metal.

A lot of people feel like you do. I don't mind if a vocalist uses a voice like that occasionally, but like with rap, if there's no melody in the vocal part, then it's just rhythm. Metal used to have some of the best vocalists outside of opera - singers like Ian Gillan, Dio, Rob Halford, (and if you consider them to be from metal bands) Robert Plant, David Byron, David Coverdale, etc.

Since the old days of metal, the level of musicianship among the instrumentalists has begun to approach virtuosity, but instead of exploiting an entire range of melodic potential by actually singing, most metal vocalists today are falling over each other to sound exactly the same as each other; ie like they're some kind of dark lord that just walked straight out of a Diablo game. It is a matter of taste though. That's why I've all but stopped listening to metal.

Seems like your best bet is in progressive metal man. I've listened to a bunch of good stuff lately all from that genre.

It's not Dream Theater anymore.

Seems like your best bet is in progressive metal man. I've listened to a bunch of good stuff lately all from that genre.

It's not Dream Theater anymore.

There's a lot of good progressive stuff out there, but a lot of it's a bit 'mathy' for my tastes - I'm not a big fan of odd time signatures. I find that what I listen to tends to influence my writing a lot, so more than anything lately I tend to listen to classical music. It's very dynamic, melodic, and incorporates themes, which I like a lot.

Wish it hadnt taken me this long to see this thread! BB ive seen impending doom live, they rule. Lead vocalist is a super down to earth dude, talked to me for a while at the show.

Saw Dying fetus live this summer at Rapids Theatre and wow they did not dissappoint! I see you like Dfetus amd MiseryIndex, makes sense, alot of the same guys in both bands.

If you like old school death, and swedish death youd love Bloodbath. Make sure you check them out. Good song by them is -Outnumbering The Day!

More good music from Relapse Records...these guys don't take themselves too seriously, just rock: Red Fang:

That is some pretty good s*** right there. Thanks for posting that Joe.

Wish it hadnt taken me this long to see this thread! BB ive seen impending doom live, they rule. Lead vocalist is a super down to earth dude, talked to me for a while at the show.

Saw Dying fetus live this summer at Rapids Theatre and wow they did not dissappoint! I see you like Dfetus amd MiseryIndex, makes sense, alot of the same guys in both bands.

If you like old school death, and swedish death youd love Bloodbath. Make sure you check them out. Good song by them is -Outnumbering The Day!

Bloodbath had a great song called Eaten written about about a guy in Germany who put an add in the paper about about wanting to eat someone for dinner, surprisingly someone offered and was well... eaten. Bad Ass song though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBfoMgllphs

• 5 months later...