UB Fires Head Football Coach Jeff Quinn

UB is already a very good school academically and great in some areas like medicine. Trying to increase their status as a sports school can only help to serve UB well in the future.

UB's medical programs are a bit of a mess. Their surgery training program is on probation, so is pediatric surgery. Their otolaryngology program was suspended in the past. So was Rehab Medicine.

They voluntarily withdrew its radiology resident training program altogether. They voluntarily suspended their dermatology training program.

Of over 9000 medical training programs in the country, less than 1% at any time are suspended or on probation.

SUNY Buffalo Med is a mess.

Build a stadium that is football friendly(Not one that has a running track around it, and has end zone bleachers miles from the field), and that would be a good start towards getting more people there.

Their biggest problem is getting the students to go. You have 30,000 students who can get discounted tix(at least I would think they do), yet the majority stay home. They could fill that half-ass stadium all by themselves.

MAybe they are not interested in watching a consistenly bad team. Maybe it the Bulls dropped back down to the FCS, they would win more and student interest would be more like it is in real FBS schools.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Build a stadium that is football friendly(not one that has a running track around it, and has end zone bleachers miles from the field), and that would be a good start towards getting more people there.

Their biggest problem is getting the students to go. You have 30,000 students who at least some of can get in for free, yet the majority stay home. They could fill that half-ass stadium all by themselves.

Just how many first class stadiums are needed in Erie County? Who would foot the cost of a state university stadium? Wonder if anyone else is looking to build a stadium in Erie County in the next couple of years?

Just how many first class stadiums are needed in Erie County? Who would foot the cost of a state university stadium? Wonder if anyone else is looking to build a stadium in Erie County in the next couple of years?

They don't need a "first class" massive facility or hundreds of luxury suites. A 25-30k stadium with the potential to be expanded to 40-45k would suffice. The Bulls could play in a new Bills stadium, but if they can't draw fans to an ON-campus stadium, how are they going to draw better with an OFF-campus stadium?

Edited by LabattBlue

They don't need a "first class" massive facility or hundreds of luxury suites. A 25-30k stadium with the potential to be expanded to 40-45k would suffice. The Bulls could play in a new Bills stadium, but if they can't draw fans to an ON-campus stadium, how are they going to draw better with an OFF-campus stadium?

A new football-only stadium with decent amenities will still cost you over $100 million. That's insane for a state school with a struggling football program. I can see how it's kind of hard to go from Amherst to Orchard Park to watch the game. It's a different story to get downtown.

UB's medical programs are a bit of a mess. Their surgery training program is on probation, so is pediatric surgery. Their otolaryngology program was suspended in the past. So was Rehab Medicine.

They voluntarily withdrew its radiology resident training program altogether. They voluntarily suspended their dermatology training program.

Of over 9000 medical training programs in the country, less than 1% at any time are suspended or on probation.

SUNY Buffalo Med is a mess.

What's the source of the problem? Too much attention to investing in facilities over investing in quality staff?

A new football-only stadium with decent amenities will still cost you over $100 million. That's insane for a state school with a struggling football program. I can see how it's kind of hard to go from Amherst to Orchard Park to watch the game. It's a different story to get downtown.

Exactly--the absolute las thing this chronically poorly performing program is a nicer venue to struggle in. I guess ot would be OK to build such a shrine to failure if it was funded completely by all of those loyal alums...

What's the source of the problem? Too much attention to investing in facilities over investing in quality staff?

The problems seem to predate the new money the stae is dumping on UBs lap.

These things are rarely publicly explained. But UB I think has a quality issue with faculty, and more recently, students.

A billion dollars to create a health services economy/industry based on that particular health system makes little sense.

PTR drives from New Hampshire to go to every Bills home game. He's about as hardcore as it gets.

And yes, it's kinda crazy to suggest UB drop a level in football because of a bad start this year. Oliver has produced back to back 100 yard games and Mack is up for defensive rookie of the year. It is a growing program. The next head coach will be a big hire.

They don't pay enough to make a big splash in the coaching market. The Quinn's and the Gills will continue to be the hire.

Somebody mention NFL talent. I am just going off recollection here, but Quinn's players have been far more successful in the NFL. For what ever that is worth.

UB Fires Head Football Coach Quinn

Sloane Martin Reporting @SloaneMartin

After almost five years, Jeff Quinn is done as the head coach of University at Buffalo football.

With the team in a bye week coming off a conference loss to a 1-4 Eastern Michigan team, athletic director Danny White announced Monday afternoon that Quinn has been relieved of his duties.

"It is with great disappointment that we have to make this change," White said via a news release. "Unfortunately, the performance on the field this season and over Coach Quinn's tenure has not matched our expectations for the growth of Bulls football.

10-14: SLOANE MARTIN TALKS JEFF QUINN FIRING ON WGR (8:28)

@gggaughan: Jeff Quinn says he gave UB his all, cites accomplishments, offers thanks in statement. http://campuswatch.buffalonews.com/2014/10/14/jeff-quinn-says-gave-ub-cites-accomplishments-statement-firing/ …

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

WEO's answer for everything is you suck, give up and stop trying. Do you give motivational speeches?

FYI, regarding Quinn's buyout, apparently it only had a $250K out for the school.

Actually, no.

I've just suggested that they (and you) acknowledge the obvious--they have failed in Div I-A. Their own student won't watch the games anymore. They just dumped another coach (hey, only a $250,000 parting reward for a poorly performing state employee??--that's great news!). Where am I wrong on this? What is the point in playing in a league in which you aren't equipped to compete? What's wrong with dropping down to I-AA? Why are you insisting it's far better to be a FBS doormat than a possible FCS powerhouse? Enlighten us...

You have offer no rebuttal except (as usual) a personal attack. It's really all you have.

Actually, no.

I've just suggested that they (and you) acknowledge the obvious--they have failed in Div I-A. Their own student won't watch the games anymore. They just dumped another coach (hey, only a $250,000 parting reward for a poorly performing state employee??--that's great news!). Where am I wrong on this? What is the point in playing in a league in which you aren't equipped to compete? What's wrong with dropping down to I-AA? Why are you insisting it's far better to be a FBS doormat than a possible FCS powerhouse? Enlighten us...

You have offer no rebuttal except (as usual) a personal attack. It's really all you have.

because if you drop down to FCS you are irrelevant - so yea I would say its better to be FBS doormat with the possibility (regardless of how remote) of turning it around/sneaking into a bowl game and gaining notoriety than being unknown/irrelevant

and in NCAA can you be division 1 in some sports and not in others?

because if you drop down to FCS you are irrelevant - so yea I would say its better to be FBS doormat with the possibility (regardless of how remote) of turning it around/sneaking into a bowl game and gaining notoriety than being unknown/irrelevant

14 out of 16 seasons isn't irrelevance? Not even able to get their own college students to come to a home game of an FBS team is not the definition of irrelevance??

Look, peple are going to forget Khalil MAck pretty quick, so what "notriety" is left but the fact that they are a bad team overmatched in a league they don't belong in. And you say that's a good thing?

14 out of 16 seasons isn't irrelevance? Not even able to get their own college students to come to a home game of an FBS team is not the definition of irrelevance??

Look, peple are going to forget Khalil MAck pretty quick, so what "notriety" is left but the fact that they are a bad team overmatched in a league they don't belong in. And you say that's a good thing?

id take the POTENTIAL to be relevant over the GUARANTEE of irrelevance all day, every day

they nearly won the conference last season, and the Basketball team won their division and probably should have won the MAC. Didnt they also get like $1 Million (and exposure) for playing at the Horseshoe?

They lost a big and well attended game at RWS (they were terribly outcoached by Dave Clawson). There was the start of a buzz about the team. Some hype for the "Idaho Potato Bowl". The right hire here, who isnt a clown, and players like, can be huge. A few sustained seasons could do wonders.

This Quinn was like a characture of a coach. if you heard him on the radio, it was like he was playing a character. It would drive me nuts as a recruit and a player... From a athletic dept employee I heard his 1st practice there he was so hard on the guys there was a players meeting and many wanted to transfer out of there... (they thought it was a great thing to be a hard-line coach... but I dunno it seemed over the top). I have an acquaintance with one top echelon, well-known former Bull and he was ready to quit due to this staff.

Edited by May Day 10

Depends on the conference. UMASS is leaving the MAC because they won't put the money into their other sports to bring them up to MAC level.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10677441/massachusetts-minutemen-reach-agreement-leave-mid-america-conference-2015-season

id take the POTENTIAL to be relevant over the GUARANTEE of irrelevance all day, every day

I'm sure that top FCS teams/schools don't feel irrelevant. I bet most UB students would take a FCS championship over a laughingstock.

You think schools like Appalachian State, North Dakota St., Towson, McNeese St...and all of the Ivies feel "irrelevant"?