Hackett not properly using Spiller & Jackson

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller needs to be used in space and in the passing game more often and Jackson needs to be used with Spiller to create mismatches. Hackett has no idea what he's doing.

That's clear when Kyle Orton is on a 16 game pace for 4800 yards, 24 TDs and 16 picks.

Face it, if CJ needs his own special game plan to be above average (even when he had it in 2012 he still wasn't the world beater revisionists would have you believe he was), then he's simply not that good of a RB.

And oh yes, while we're making a habit of repeating things, here's something that needs to be talked about more: the Bills wanted Carlos Hyde...badly. Why do you suppose that was?

That's clear when Kyle Orton is on a 16 game pace for 4800 yards, 24 TDs and 16 picks.

Face it, if CJ needs his own special game plan to be above average (even when he had it in 2012 he still wasn't the world beater revisionists would have you believe he was), then he's simply not that good of a RB.

And oh yes, while we're making a habit of repeating things, here's something that needs to be talked about more: the Bills wanted Carlos Hyde...badly. Why do you suppose that was?

That's such a cop out. Good coaches make talent work. Spiller averaged 6 ypc and 10 yards per catch before Hackett. He was a 1st round pick and one of the better offensive players in college football of the last decade.

What is Hackett's resume? Being lucky who is dad is? Why are people defending him? He wasn't even a good OC at Syracuse. There is zero imagination with our offense.

But yeah, Spiller is the problem, not the 1st time NFL OC who wasn't even great in the Big East.

Hackett is bush league.

I second that emotion. what a predictable run up the middle automatically on first down joke this offense has become. Santa? can we have a real O coordinator for xmas?

Edited by BeefCurtns

Spiller needs to be used in space and in the passing game more often and Jackson needs to be used with Spiller to create mismatches. Hackett has no idea what he's doing.

What does 'used in space' mean? He still needs to learn to follow blockers in order to get 'in to space' since he is a poor runner, I assume the defenses will watch him a little closer if he starts to run a pass pattern. The fact is , he is not very good. Maybe on a different team, he would be more effective, but he doesn't fit on this team, right now.

That's such a cop out. Good coaches make talent work. Spiller averaged 6 ypc and 10 yards per catch before Hackett. He was a 1st round pick and one of the better offensive players in college football of the last decade.

What is Hackett's resume? Being lucky who is dad is? Why are people defending him? He wasn't even a good OC at Syracuse. There is zero imagination with our offense.

But yeah, Spiller is the problem, not the 1st time NFL OC who wasn't even great in the Big East.

Cop out? Shall I list all the college sensations that didn't about to diddly **** in the NFL? How in gods name is that a defense of Spiller's "talent?"

"Good talent" should be able to run between the mother !@#$ing tackles, dude. Come on.

And AGAIN what evidence is there, when the line and Spiller struggle to execute BASIC plays, that "creative"

ones are the sudden cure-all?

What does 'used in space' mean? He still needs to learn to follow blockers in order to get 'in to space' since he is a poor runner, I assume the defenses will watch him a little closer if he starts to run a pass pattern. The fact is , he is not very good. Maybe on a different team, he would be more effective, but he doesn't fit on this team, right now.

Excellent point. Even "in space" he's shown, repeatedly, that he's lousy at setting up and following blocks.

But seriously, let's just repeating this "get him in space" nonsense.

I've been asking posters to define the concept in some way that didn't involve the spread which was equally disdained

around here (how conveniently we forget).

Usually the answer is "run screens," a reply which also conveniently ignores how !@#$ing deplorable our line has been at executing screens over the last 22 games.

Cop out? Shall I list all the college sensations that didn't about to diddly **** in the NFL? How in gods name is that a defense of Spiller's "talent?"

"Good talent" should be able to run between the mother !@#$ing tackles, dude. Come on.

And AGAIN what evidence is there, when the line and Spiller struggle to execute BASIC plays, that "creative"

ones are the sudden cure-all?

Spiller was a 1,200 yard rusher on like 200 carries before Hackett.

Seriously, what do people give him the benefit of the doubt? If his dad wasn't a former NFL coach, would he even be in this position? Spiller has proven himself at the NFL level. What had Hackett done?

It's such a joke. I'm like the most positive Bills fan but it's getting harder. They draft a qb, give him a rookie OC and no qb coach, then bail on him after 14 games. They take one of the most dangerous players in the NFL and just keep running him up the middle. The oline, despite a ton of resources, is much worse than it was 2 years ago.

You're right. Even though a ton of offensive players are regressing, Hackett is not a problem. I'm sure Norv Turner, Chip Kelly, or Sean Payton would be achieving the same results with this talent.

All hail Nate Hackett!

Jackson and Spiller should be used as inside/outside rushing tandem. It has been done. Hackett has not exploited Spiller's skill set. Unless the Offensive line gets better soon, neither will have a good season. There are no holes to run in. Once the line is fixed, the RBs will rack up the yards.

I do blame Hackett to some extent for the poor running attack but the fact of the matter is our line cannot block.

This seems to be a project for the Bills .

I like Hackett. The players are just too stupid and slow.

And CJ refuses to run behind the guards . WTF .

Seriously, what do people give him the benefit of the doubt? If his dad wasn't a former NFL coach, would he even be in this position? Spiller has proven himself at the NFL level. What had Hackett done?

It's such a joke. I'm like the most positive Bills fan but it's getting harder. They draft a qb, give him a rookie OC and no qb coach, then bail on him after 14 games. They take one of the most dangerous players in the NFL and just keep running him up the middle. The oline, despite a ton of resources, is much worse than it was 2 years ago.

You're right. Even though a ton of offensive players are regressing, Hackett is not a problem. I'm sure Norv Turner, Chip Kelly, or Sean Payton would be achieving the same results with this talent.

All hail Nate Hackett!

In a thread calling him a zero, contending otherwise is hardly calling him a hero. Resorting to straw men is never a good sign.

Also, if you're going to gush about his above average 2012 (a delightful segment of the 1.5 above average years he's

had in 4.5) the least you could do is acknowledge is 1.7 ypc over the last eight quarters.

Nepotism is killing this team. Hackett had prior NFL experience, but only as a Quality Control coach for the Bills. Frank Reich, for example, would have been a better choice because he was a quarterbacks coach at the time and Marrone probably could have hired him away from SD because the OC position would have been a promotion.

They take one of the most dangerous players in the NFL and just keep running him up the middle.

Maybe Hack-it is a gambling addict who keeps betting against the Bills?

Perhaps because between the tackles there is a center and two guards who are supposed to block. On the Bills there is a center who blocks.

But Pears does so much more than block, he blocks poorly. It's precisely that quality that has endeared him to Saint Doug's heart. You might watch Pears play and say to yourself, "Gee, that's an awful excuse for an offensive lineman," but you'd only be half right. Pears is an artist of awfulness, a virtuoso of ineptitude. Just when you think he can't possibly get worse, he finds a way to out-do himself. In many ways, he's the Michael Jordan of terrible offensive lineman.

Why would that endear Pears to his coach's heart? Let's remember that St. Doug named himself this because it took a miracle to win at 'Cuse and will take a miracle to win in Buffalo. But the ol' ball coach needs one more miracle to be canonized. And what would be more miraculous than to win in Buffalo while starting the league's worst Guard -- not worst starting guard, that wouldn't be miraculous enough. In order to qualify for the divine, St. Doug needs to take the league's absolute worst guard, including practice squad players and hobos living near the stadium. That's where Pears comes in.

It's the only thing that makes sense. Why else would Doug refuse to play Ubrik or go out and get anyone else -- literally anyone else -- to fill what is such a glaring and obvious weakness on the team?

For Sainthood, that's why.

But Pears does so much more than block, he blocks poorly. It's precisely that quality that has endeared him to Saint Doug's heart. You might watch Pears play and say to yourself, "Gee, that's an awful excuse for an offensive lineman," but you'd only be half right. Pears is an artist of awfulness, a virtuoso of ineptitude. Just when you think he can't possibly get worse, he finds a way to out-do himself. In many ways, he's the Michael Jordan of terrible offensive lineman.

Why would that endear Pears to his coach's heart? Let's remember that St. Doug named himself this because it took a miracle to win at 'Cuse and will take a miracle to win in Buffalo. But the ol' ball coach needs one more miracle to be canonized. And what would be more miraculous than to win in Buffalo while starting the league's worst Guard -- not worst starting guard, that wouldn't be miraculous enough. In order to qualify for the divine, St. Doug needs to take the league's absolute worst guard, including practice squad players and hobos living near the stadium. That's where Pears comes in.

It's the only thing that makes sense. Why else would Doug refuse to play Ubrik or go out and get anyone else -- literally anyone else -- to fill what is such a glaring and obvious weakness on the team?

For Sainthood, that's why.

You need a HC with confidence. It's like spotting your 8 year old kid 10 points in 1 on 1 basketball, then scoring 11 straight to win. Can't teach that kind of confidence.

Edited by FireChan

I think all of us know it is a passing league except Marrone and Hackett. It's pretty sad that it's been 22 years since the Bills had a TE that had 100+ yards in one game, while since that time, TE's in the league have had 100+ yards receiving over 260 times.

I agree they've misused the RBs, but I don't think this is a fair criticism. They opened the Houston game with three straight passes which arguably opened up the run game, then were roundly criticized for throwing too often. The problem they had was not having a QB who can pass.

What I don't understand is why they start the game with the quick, change of pace, light running home run threat and then sprinkle in the hard running bigger guys. It seems to me you soften them up with the tough running, get manageable downs early, get in a rhythm, then sprinkle in CJ. The continued use of him on first down boggles my mind. At least it appeared they may be moving away from that yesterday. One can hope.