Can we start the Rex Ryan watch?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a foot fetish for Rex Ryan and I'm beginning to think that my fantasy just might become reality.

The Jets are 1-5 and Ryan is widely believed to be done at season's end unless the Jets miraculously turn things around, which is extremely unlikely given the state of their roster.

Rex Ryan can flat out coach. His players love him, he can out-scheme anyone in the league from a defensive standpoint, knows how to beat Brady, and is just the sort of brash, confident, ultra-competitive and professional/competent sideline manager that we've been pining for since ... forever.

Rex would also be anointed king in Buffalo - he looks like the kind of guy you'd find at the end of the bar on Hertel Street at either 3 a.m. or even 3 p.m. He'd instantly make the Bills relevant, exciting, confident, and competitive. He'd make defense the strength, and with the personnel we already have in place, he'd make our defense dominant.

IMO, Rex Ryan is one of the best coaches in the league and we can't pass up the opportunity to get him here this offseason.

For those who would hold his offensive track record against him, it has been well-documented that Rex has had little say over the personnel on the offensive side of the ball, including the QB (he doesn't even have control over which QB plays). While his choice of offensive coordinators over the years does concern me, I'd hope we could pair him with someone more competent than Nate Hackett - in fact, anyone would be an upgrade over Hacket.

So in sum, my fantasy is that the Pegulas hire a consultant who evaluates the roster and organization and realizes that Marrone and Hackett are not at the level of competence that it takes to be elite; Marrone is sent packing, and the Bills pounce on the opportunity to bring in one of the best coaches in the league, one who would just happen to have an axe to grind with our division rivals who just canned him.

Please let this happen.

I'm with you, Coach. I never get the Ryan disdain from some people. I think he's a terrific coach and also a very interesting personality. I like the dude. But more importantly, to my eye he has regularly overachieved with that Jets roster, present season temporarily excepted.

I'm on the fence about Marrone right now. I'm not that optimistic about him, but he definitely needs a little more time to convince me one way or the other. If we do make a coaching switch, though, I would be very, very happy with Ryan.

Agreed.

Doesn't mean he'd be the right choice after Marrone is canned though.He's an OK head coach. Great defensive mind, doesn't have a clue what hes doing offensively.

In addition to being a great defensive mind, he's a great motivator. His players love him. He gets more out of guys than most coaches. A 1-5 Bills team would roll over in a heartbeat in NE. You almost never see the Jets quit.

I'd take Ryan over anyone who's coached in Buffalo in the last 15 years without hesitation.

In addition to being a great defensive mind, he's a great motivator. His players love him. He gets more out of guys than most coaches. A 1-5 Bills team would roll over in a heartbeat in NE. You almost never see the Jets quit.

I'd take Ryan over anyone who's coached in Buffalo in the last 15 years without hesitation.

since we have never been 1-5 under Marrone, how do you they would roll over in a heartbeat?

I'm down on Marrone but I don't ever think his team has quit on him. They might be poorly coached at times but for the most part, they give good effort.

That said, Rex is a great defensive mind. He will be one of the biggest FAs this offseason. If he can even luck into a QB like Belichick, he might win a SB.

Hey I got called an idiot for suggesting that.

Look at his record.

Even with inferior talent on offense and Sanchez as his QB he was a few plays away from a Superbowl. Idzik has given him a garbage roster in the last two years, yet they don't embarrass themselves on a semi regular basis. They're 1-6, while starting with the hardest schedule in the league, and they were in very single game until the end. What do you think Bills record would be if the schedule was switched?

If Jets fire him, he'd get a HC job within seconds.

The thing about Rex, as others have said already, is his players play balls out for him...and while his Offense has been woeful at times, he's also fired Offensive Coordinators and he's been forced to deal with the Offensive players other GMs have provided...I don't know, nor do any of us, if he has any input on the Drafting of Offensive players. It's almost a "given" that he DOES have input on Defensive players Drafted, which is probably one reason why the Defense continuously looks stout and a raging. But Offensively, he may very well have relied on the GM and others to determine who is worthy of a pick, and in that case, if Rex were to be fired in NY and the BILLS were to hire him (not saying I'm for or against the idea), it would seem much like any coach who knows his weakness, hiring the right Offensive Coordinator would be the *KEY* for Rex to be successful and while Whaley hasn't been perfect by any means, he's been very, very good IMHO thus far. "All in on EJ" being his biggest gaffe but I'm ok with trying to make your hopeful future QB successful, Chris Williams was the only other true fail I can think of to this point. Either way, IF Rex is to be fired in NY and Marrone shown the door, I would hope Rex is considered b/c let's not forget, he did take a Mark Sanchez led Offense to the AFC Championship game two years in a row when there was Offensive talent and based on a similar philosophy the BILLS have allegedly endorsed: good running game and solid Defense, while the BILLS' running game has been suspect at best of recent weeks, that appears to be the way they want to play.

Look at his record.

Even with inferior talent on offense and Sanchez as his QB he was a few plays away from a Superbowl. Idzik has given him a garbage roster in the last two years, yet they don't embarrass themselves on a semi regular basis. They're 1-6, while starting with the hardest schedule in the league, and they were in very single game until the end. What do you think Bills record would be if the schedule was switched?

If Jets fire him, he'd get a HC job within seconds.

I'm looking at his record, it's 43-44. He's had 2 winning seasons. The inferior talent and the offensive philosophy fall at his feet too. He's in charge of hiring his own staff. I think he has some say in the talent acquired. Maybe good OC's don't want to work with Rex because they don't like his coaching style.

Why would you think any of that would change if he was a head coach in Buffalo? So Buffalo would have a good/great defense and a piss poor offense. How would that be any different than what's on the field right now?

I'm looking at his record, it's 43-44. He's had 2 winning seasons. The inferior talent and the offensive philosophy fall at his feet too. He's in charge of hiring his own staff. I think he has some say in the talent acquired. Maybe good OC's don't want to work with Rex because they don't like his coaching style.

Why would you think any of that would change if he was a head coach in Buffalo? So Buffalo would have a good/great defense and a piss poor offense. How would that be any different than what's on the field right now?

I take it there's collective amnesia about the time when Brian Schottenheimer was seen as one of the better HC candidates based on the job he did with the Jets for a few years they actually had talent on offense?

Here's jut one a hundreds' stories about Ryan's and Idzik's relationship and who assembles the roster.

Schottenheimer blew.

Jets fans hated him and he still sucks in St.Louis. Theres a reason he was run out of town after the 2011 season.

That's not the year I'm talking about. Look at 2009 & 2010. Point being, when he had talent on offense and a bad OC (as you admit) Rex's teams made it deep into the playoffs. How did the Orchard Park crew do in that time span?

I know, it would really suck beating the snot out of New England every year.

I take it there's collective amnesia about the time when Brian Schottenheimer was seen as one of the better HC candidates based on the job he did with the Jets for a few years they actually had talent on offense?

Here's jut one a hundreds' stories about Ryan's and Idzik's relationshipand who assembles the roster.

What amnesia? Where's Brian Schottenheimer now? And this is perfect that you bring up Schottenheimer, because he was with the Jets before Rex arrived. Schottenheimer started with the Jest in 2006, the same year Tannenbaum started as GM. From 2006-2008 the average offensive ranking for the Jest was 17th, highest ranking being 12th. Not brilliant but it is what it is. When Rex took over Schottenheimer kept his job, so no change in offensive philosophy. Tannenbauml was still the GM, so no change there. From 2009-211, when he was fired, the Jest offense average rank was 22, the highest being 19th. Rex Ryan is the only change, plus the defense got better, which in turn you would think would give the offense MORE opportunity. Then after all that, in a moment of shear brilliance, he hires Tony Sparano as his OC.

You keep pointing to Izdik as if he's been there the entire time. Izdik has been there for all of a 1.5 years. You do realize there was another GM right? Rex's struggles go back beyond Izdik, I don't know how many times I need to say this.

That's not the year I'm talking about. Look at 2009 & 2010. Point being, when he had talent on offense and a bad OC (as you admit) Rex's teams made it deep into the playoffs. How did the Orchard Park crew do in that time span?

I know, it would really suck beating the snot out of New England every year.

Again, go look at from 2006-08, Schottenheimer was the OC for the Jest then as well, and they were a better offense.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

What amnesia? Where's Brian Schottenheimer now? And this is perfect that you bring up Schottenheimer, because he was with the Jets before Rex arrived. Schottenheimer started with the Jest in 2006, the same year Tannenbaum started as GM. From 2006-2008 the average offensive ranking for the Jest was 17th, highest ranking being 12th. Not brilliant but it is what it is. When Rex took over Schottenheimer kept his job, so no change in offensive philosophy. Tannenbauml was still the GM, so no change there. From 2009-211, when he was fired, the Jest offense average rank was 22, the highest being 19th. Rex Ryan is the only change, plus the defense got better, which in turn you would think would give the offense MORE opportunity. Then after all that, in a moment of shear brilliance, he hires Tony Sparano as his OC.

You keep pointing to Izdik as if he's been there the entire time. Izdik has been there for all of a 1.5 years. You do realize there was another GM right? Rex's struggles go back beyond Izdik, I don't know how many times I need to say this.

Again, go look at from 2006-08, Schottenheimer was the OC for the Jest then as well, and they were a better offense.

Tennebaum got fired for mismanaging the roster and Woody did the unimaginable by hiring a worse successor. Jet's talents on offense have gotten progressively worse since 2009. You can blame Schott Jr and Rex for that, but the roster changes are undeniable. Yet with all that inferior talent, Rex managed to blow the Bills' record out of the water

Tennebaum got fired for mismanaging the roster and Woody did the unimaginable by hiring a worse successor. Jet's talents on offense have gotten progressively worse since 2009. You can blame Schott Jr and Rex for that, but the roster changes are undeniable. Yet with all that inferior talent, Rex managed to blow the Bills' record out of the water

This. Woody also cheaped out this offseason and left the Jets with $25 million in cap room. We should be so lucky as to have Rex Ryan return our phone call this offseason if he becomes available.

Edited by billsfaninmanhattan

I'm looking at his record, it's 43-44. He's had 2 winning seasons.

I know could you imagine if the Bills had a team with that record over the same period? Including two good playoff runs?

Safe to say a lot of fans would have been happy with that record. Still Marrone has a shot of at least hitting the "Jauron Line" this year.

This. Woody also cheaped out this offseason and left the Jets with $25 million in cap room. We should be so lucky as to have Rex Ryan return our phone call this offseason if he becomes available.

In the middle of Kraft's ball washing last night, CBS guys mentioned the Pats*' record prior to his ownership. I can point to two key events - stealing BB from the NYJs and lucking into Brady. Pegula could get lucky like that if Ryan is available this offseason. He's Bellichick's kryptonite.

In the middle of Kraft's ball washing last night, CBS guys mentioned the Pats*' record prior to his ownership. I can point to two key events - stealing BB from the NYJs and lucking into Brady. Pegula could get lucky like that if Ryan is available this offseason. He's Bellichick's kryptonite.

Yep. Just need the QB after that!

And roster changes, IMO, fall at his feet too. I believe he's had some say in that. Tannenbaum was acquiring good offensive talent, he drafted Mangold and Ferguson before Rex got there. Both Pro Bowl talent. Hell, Tannenbaum drafted Revis before Rex got there. He also acquired Calvin Pace, Damien Woody in FA, before Rex arrived. The point isn't to defend Tannenbaum but to put the some of the blame for the offensive struggles on the HC.

As far as Rex having a better record, Lovie Smith had a better record in Chicago than any coach in Buffalo, what's your point? Look what he's doing Tampa.

All the mean girls yukked it up when I suggested as much in the shoutbox yesterday.