Hogan scored a TD

YoloinOhio

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I would like to bring up is somewhat simple and only a guess.

There is a reason Hogan is not lighting up the league at WR and players like Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Mike Williams and even Marquise Goodwin are held to a higher level. They are better. Sure, Hogan will flourish with the familiarity of Orton and vice versa, from running second team together. But once Orton plays enough with better talent he will begin to understand and play with that talent making the game even better.

Steve Johnson is a great example of this. He had familiarity with Fitzpatrick that Manuel could not adapt to but Fitzpatrick could. Fitz is smarter - no knock against Manuel since Fitz is smarter then 99% of the NFL. But, a better football player will catch on quicker with a WR - Kaep catching on with SJ13 is evidence of this.

So, while we all watch Hogan I am interested in watching Orton develop his use of other WR's. It was obvious he would use Chandler early and often but I think it will be a matter of weeks before he makes the progression to Woods, MWilliams, and Watkins.

There is a reason Hogan is not lighting up the league at WR and players like Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Mike Williams and even Marquise Goodwin are held to a higher level. They are better. Sure, Hogan will flourish with the familiarity of Orton and vice versa, from running second team together. But once Orton plays enough with better talent he will begin to understand and play with that talent making the game even better.

Steve Johnson is a great example of this. He had familiarity with Fitzpatrick that Manuel could not adapt to but Fitzpatrick could. Fitz is smarter - no knock against Manuel since Fitz is smarter then 99% of the NFL. But, a better football player will catch on quicker with a WR - Kaep catching on with SJ13 is evidence of this.

So, while we all watch Hogan I am interested in watching Orton develop his use of other WR's. It was obvious he would use Chandler early and often but I think it will be a matter of weeks before he makes the progression to Woods, MWilliams, and Watkins.

So in other words, as a QB is familiarizing himself with an offense, it's easier for him to connect with less talented receivers first and then as he becomes more comfortable, he will start trusting his more talented receivers?

So in other words, as a QB is familiarizing himself with an offense, it's easier for him to connect with less talented receivers first and then as he becomes more comfortable, he will start trusting his more talented receivers?

No. He is able to connect with WR's he is more familiar with then he is the more talented.

If Hogan matches the numbers he put up Sunday in another game this season I will be surprised. Happy but surprised.

If Hogan matches the numbers he put up Sunday in another game this season I will be surprised. Happy but surprised.

Maybe not the TD but total receptions and yards I would not be surprised at all.. He is a kid with very good physical talent, and only played 1 year of college football. He should get better with time.

Here is how he compares to Woods

Hogan pro day numbers

6’1” - 221

40 – 4.50

Bench Reps @ 225lbs – 28

Vertical – 36.5

Broad jump – 126” (10’06”)

3 cone – 6.75

20 yard shuttle – 4.15

Woods Combine numbers:

6’0” - 201

40 – 4.51

Bench Reps @ 225lbs – 14

Vertical – 33.5

Broad jump – 117” (9’9”)

3 cone – 7.15

20 yard shuttle – 4.47

Maybe not the TD but total receptions and yards I would not be surprised at all.. He is a kid with very good physical talent, and only played 1 year of college football. He should get better with time.

Here is how he compares to Woods

Hogan pro day numbers

6’1” - 221

40 – 4.50

Bench Reps @ 225lbs – 28

Vertical – 36.5

Broad jump – 126” (10’06”)

3 cone – 6.75

20 yard shuttle – 4.15

Woods Combine numbers:

6’0” - 201

40 – 4.51

Bench Reps @ 225lbs – 14

Vertical – 33.5

Broad jump – 117” (9’9”)

3 cone – 7.15

20 yard shuttle – 4.47

OH MY GOD! measurables!

Prior to today he had what 10 catches? Like his entire High School, College and Pro career?! Now he has 15 and he's all pro.

This is hilarious. It's f'n hilarious. It's the epitome of a sports fan and being a Bills fan. The very best on the team are nuisance, trouble makers, overrated or hurt too much. But, someone as amazing as Hogan - a player who has bounced from team to team is a stand out, talented, underrated, misunderstood, under utilized and full of promise.

What a joke.

That is all. One more and I think someone owes someone Taco Bell.

O shoot i recall this wager. Dont wanna mention names. But i could !

the first in his career, congratulations to him, he had a nice game.

He did. ran some nice routes decent blocking. The one drop in the hands hurt but Hey , he did alright .

Right you are.

They gave Orton a comfort level to work with.

Don't discount the tosses and catches by Oron to Chandler though. That was solid work by the two of them. Its a start . Not a win but a start . agree the rest of the Rec will tidy this up in a couple weeks

OH MY GOD! measurables!

Prior to today he had what 10 catches? Like his entire High School, College and Pro career?! Now he has 15 and he's all pro.

This is hilarious. It's f'n hilarious. It's the epitome of a sports fan and being a Bills fan. The very best on the team are nuisance, trouble makers, overrated or hurt too much. But, someone as amazing as Hogan - a player who has bounced from team to team is a stand out, talented, underrated, misunderstood, under utilized and full of promise.

What a joke.

Its a team game. they all need to hold up against the odds

OH MY GOD! measurables!

What a joke.

Hogan hasn't bounced around. The Bills picked him up based on his athleticism. He played lacrosse at Penn State for his fulltime college career, then played one year of football at Monmouth. Got some experience but realistically has always been a project. But, so far he's turning out really well. Excellent ST work, athletic enough to get open. As he gains experience running routes and recognizing defenses, he's all upside. He also is not a complainer, whiner, etc. He looks like he could develop into Steve Tasker v2.