Report: Pegulas Looking to Bring Consultants for Bills Transition

Ernie Accorsi or Ron Wolf consulting would be a welcome relief after years of the OBD lifers running the show. I'm sure Accorsi or Wolf can provide what is needed to fix what's wrong at OBD. If LaCanfora is correct, the Pegula's already understand the financial side of the house has interfered with the football side.

As has been said numerous times, you don't invest 1.4B into a NFL team and then not evaluate what's going on. There will be changes after this season regardless of the result.

I think everyone thought that of course they would bring in their own people, but that "changes" was really referring to President, GM and HC, meaning Brandon, Whaley and Marrone.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone thought that of course they would bring in their own people, but that "changes" was really referring to President, GM and HC, meaning Brandon, Whaley and Marrone.

I would be really surprised if all 3 weren't here in 2015. Marrone is the only one that there is even a CHANCE of not being here. Russ will be there as long as he wants to be and Whaley has a pretty long leash as well.

A fresh set of eyes that have had success elsewhere would be a nice way to help restructure the organization. However, unless they're either talking about relieving Whaley of his duties or this being a short term hire, this would seem to create a congestion of administration, as it would seem to me that the names mentioned in the article are essentially GMs.

For the first time in years this team at least appears to be decisive and moving forward. There have been signs of life in free agent signings, the draft, player trades, and with coaching hires since Brandon took the reigns. While tweaks in structure may be helpful and necessary, and would be something a short term hire could provide, I hope they let things play out for a season or two with the people currently in place to see if the team is indeed heading in the right direction, instead of making knee jerk changes that will take yet more time to take root.

I would be really surprised if all 3 weren't here in 2015. Marrone is the only one that there is even a CHANCE of not being here. Russ will be there as long as he wants to be and Whaley has a pretty long leash as well.

Agreed. I also don't think that Whaley just reporting to the Pegulas instead of Brandon changes anything either.

If we tank from now on, which I don't think is happening, then and only then will Marrone not survive next year. And that would be Whaley's call, not a new guy like Accorski or Wolf (both of whom I like a lot).

A fresh set of eyes that have had success elsewhere would be a nice way to help restructure the organization. However, unless they're either talking about relieving Whaley of his duties or this being a short term hire, this would seem to create a congestion of administration, as it would seem to me that the names mentioned in the article are essentially GMs.

For the first time in years this team at least appears to be decisive and moving forward. There have been signs of life in free agent signings, the draft, player trades, and with coaching hires since Brandon took the reigns. While tweaks in structure may be helpful and necessary, and would be something a short term hire could provide, I hope they let things play out for a season or two with the people currently in place to see if the team is indeed heading in the right direction, instead of making knee jerk changes that will take yet more time to take root.

Even though the guys used to be GMs the job would not at all be a GM job. They wouldn't be making player decisions.

I read this a I'm thinking this must be some kind of dream. That part on how to best separate the business side from the football side? Pure genius. Then I kept going and saw how he did the same with the Sabres. And that was basically an epic fail. Unless he brings in someone like Holmgren or Parcells, people shouldn't think this article means anything more than Pegula is trying to pick his best cronies to install at One Bills Drive. He did it with the Sabres, he'll do it with the Bills.

When you spend 1.4b you can "install" or hire any "cronies" or management personnel you like. The Bills are not a public asset, they are privately owned enterprise. As for the Sabres, they tore down an antiquated vestige of a franchise to rebuild it for long term success. This infuriates the lunch pail crowd that yearns for second tier fa's to make a run at the final playoff spot. But the big picture is that everyone in the NHL sees the upward trend continuing. Hardly an epic fail.

Agreed. I also don't think that Whaley just reporting to the Pegulas instead of Brandon changes anything either.

If we tank from now on, which I don't think is happening, then and only then will Marrone not survive next year. And that would be Whaley's call, not a new guy like Accorski or Wolf (both of whom I like a lot).

Even though the guys used to be GMs the job would not at all be a GM job. They wouldn't be making player decisions.

If it is a short term consulting position, I would agree with that. If it is a long term hire, it creates an odd dynamic, IMO, and usurps the GMs role to a certain extent. It's also not much of a vote of confidence for those already in place.

Polian would be great but he will try to push for his son to be a part of something and I'm not sure he has the credentials yet.

The polian tree right now is pretty impressive. Hack mcdaniels out of it and the group of guys that went to school with his sons and their nfl success is pretty impressive

I post it every few months as I find it incredible by the sheer volume of nothing else

Edited by NoSaint

If it is a short term consulting position, I would agree with that. If it is a long term hire, it creates an odd dynamic, IMO, and usurps the GMs role to a certain extent. It's also not much of a vote of confidence for those already in place.

It has nothing to do with confidence of those already in place. It's to find out how much confidence should or should not have for those already in place. But more so, how well the entire front office is run, how the scouting department and other elements of OBD is run. They want and need an outside respected set of eyes. It was inevitable and the only thing to do. Says nothing about what the Pegulas think about anyone.

It has nothing to do with confidence of those already in place. It's to find out how much confidence should or should not have for those already in place. But more so, how well the entire front office is run, how the scouting department and other elements of OBD is run. They want and need an outside respected set of eyes. It was inevitable and the only thing to do. Says nothing about what the Pegulas think about anyone.

Right - if the right set of eyes are used, it's simply a well visit with your doc or scheduled maintenance on your car. Pegula isn't a doctor or mechanic so he's looking to bring someone in to see if things are in good shape.

The Sabres have Craig Patrick. It's not the same job but he doesnt get in the way of the GM. He's a highly respected consultant. LaFontaine was more of the guy and position. It blew up in Terry's face because of a personality struggle but the end result was a solid group of people running the team now that virtually all fans like. But the difference is, Pegula seems to already like Brandon and Whaley.

The speculative nature of our fan base is slanted majorly in favor of doom. The report states clearly that the position being created is a consultant position. Not a new GM, and not a new president.

And listening to WGR this morning I heard several callers starting their calls with, "I'm worried about the Pegulas doing..." getting too involved, making the same mistakes they made with the Sabres, etc.

The Sabres were a bad team masquerading as a playoff team when the Pegulas bought them. They gave that regime one full season and parts of two others...then made swift changes. I think they made no mistakes in those actions.

Give it a rest with the Nervous Nelly speculation. Let these owners screw it up before we invent the reasons they failed.

I read this a I'm thinking this must be some kind of dream. That part on how to best separate the business side from the football side? Pure genius. Then I kept going and saw how he did the same with the Sabres. And that was basically an epic fail. Unless he brings in someone like Holmgren or Parcells, people shouldn't think this article means anything more than Pegula is trying to pick his best cronies to install at One Bills Drive. He did it with the Sabres, he'll do it with the Bills.

Better to start bashing the new owner ASAP. Why wait until he actually make some decisions, right? Expect the worst!

The polian tree right now is pretty impressive. Hack mcdaniels out of it and the group of guys that went to school with his sons and their nfl success is pretty impressive

I post it every few months as I find it incredible by the sheer volume of nothing else

Chris Polian resume:

Chris Polian is an American football executive. He was the vice president and general manager of the Indianapolis Colts of the National Football League from 2009 to 2011.

On November 27, 2009, he was promoted by Colts owner Jim Irsay to his position. He had previously served in other roles in the Colts football operations. He concurrently extended his contract through the 2012 season.[1] His father was the President of the team, Bill Polian.[2] Both Polians were fired by Irsay following the 2011 season in which the team posted a 2–14 record.[3] On May 2, 2013 he was hired by Jacksonville Jaguars as Director of Pro Personnel.[4]

His best asset is to be Bill's son, if in a couple of years he becomes a prominent name, go for it.

was just listening to Howard Simon talk about this...I feel like the only reaction here should be jubilation.

This will be the first step in getting Russ Brandon the hell away from football operations....which needed to happen years ago. Let him go back to being a full time bean counter.

Someone who's been down this road before can decide whether we need a new coach and/or GM.

I was worried about whether Pegula learned anything from his mistakes with the Sabres....when he FAILED to do this...and the team subsequently went down the crapper.

Now we know he has!