Fear of flying

I used to have a fear of flying then I discovered that **** loads of booze helps. They I also realized it's the safest way to travel and planes don't fall out of the sky.

This. I'm not saying it works for everyone, but it really helped me--still does. And what's the worst that could happen? You get drunk! You aren't flying the damn thing.

I never has a debilitating fear of flying, but I was uncomfortable, that's for sure. Then I discovered getting fairly sloshed helped make the trip pleasant. At one point friends were pouring me on, and off, planes. But now, I wouldn't go through security too drunk, if you don't wear your booze well. But take the hit at the airport bar and have a couple double shots, or big beers--whatever your poison of choice might be.

In a previous life I used to fly all the time, and while flying is not big deal to me, I found that it was MUCH more enjoyable when I got my Bose noise reduction headset. I don't recommend you buying them since you never fly, but ask around if someone has a set you can borrow. Load an ipod with music, grab a book you've been meaning to read, and settle in. Make sure you have no reason to get up during the flight. It'll be over before you know it.

Note: there are plenty of so-called noise reduction headphones out there. I've tried most of them. Bose continues to kick everyone's ass.

http://youtu.be/GYALKcapKN0

Noise cancelling headphones are a good idea. I have the Bose (got them from my brother who never flies), but really just about any decent noise cancelling phones will work. Truth, if you like to listen to your music really loud, they don't even need to be noise cancelling--but the person sitting next to you may not agree.

I also find that flying JetBlue, or any airline with TVs built into the seat backs, a great distraction. If that's an option for you, it might distract you a bit.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All good advice. Booze does help. Look at this way, you're waaay safer at 34000 feet with all the traffic being controlled around you than say...on the QEW. I mean, there are hundreds of people on the ground (controllers, supervisors, etc..) whose sole job that day is to make sure you land safely. Anybody care about your welfare on the QEW?

Myself, I love flying (except for delays) and everything about it. The hum of the engines, the motion of the plane, the awesome view, etc. It's like being in the womb to me. I once slept from the tarmac in Philly to about 30 minutes out of SFO. Relax and try to enjoy.

I never has a debilitating fear of flying, but I was uncomfortable, that's for sure. Then I discovered getting fairly sloshed helped make the trip pleasant. At one point friends were pouring me on, and off, planes. But now, I wouldn't go through security too drunk, if you don't wear your booze well. But take the hit at the airport bar and have a couple double shots, or big beers--whatever your poison of choice might be.

BTW, TSA will let you through security with a chit ton of airplane bottles. Booze gets expensive at the airport and on planes

.I am lucky and get free beers at the Club, but i bring my own booze on the planes...so may get one beer on the plane if i feel like a beer, but it is much more sipping whisky for me . PLus, i have the booze ready when i NEED it, takeoff, and when its bumping enough the flight attendants cant get up.

I dont need the damn booze when it smooth :thumbsup::wallbash:

Edited by plenzmd1

I don't fly as much as I used to, but I'm up in the multimillions range. If you're REALLY concerned, try to get seats in the wing box. It's structurally the safest part of the plane. What kind of books do you like to read? Get one that's completely engrossing, and start reading it a day or two BEFORE the flight. You'll be so into the book that you won't want to put it down. Add to this the many recommendations (mine included) to have a couple of belts, and you're already on the descent before you know it. But I'd stick with wine or hard liquor. Getting up to pump the bilge after too many beers is just going to remind you that you're not on Terra Firma.

BTW, TSA will let you through security with a chit ton of airplane bottles. Booze gets expensive at the airport and on planes

.I am lucky and get free beers at the Club, but i bring my own booze on the planes...so may get one beer on the plane if i feel like a beer, but it is much more sipping whisky for me . PLus, i have the booze ready when i NEED it, takeoff, and when its bumping enough the flight attendants cant get up.

I always load up on those small bottles. However they very rarely make it on the plane. Hell two are usually gone on the cab ride to the airport. However drinks on a plane are usually cheaper than In any bar. Where else can you get a Jack and coke for $5-$6?

Whatchu talkin' about plenzmd? You can't take a bottle of water through security but you can take little bottles of booze? Seriously?

I used to fill a water bottle with vodka or gin and an empty ice tea bottle with whiskey of some sort. But that stopped once the TSA banned water through security,. I don't fly very often, and my budget isn't what it used to be. But the past two times I flew I was hit with long delays. Long delays are hard on my wallet in an airport---but you do what you have to do. Truth is, I'd still probably hit the bar even if I had the little airline bottles. But I'd spend less on the aircraft.

And White's Bay makes a good point (he usually does). Beer may not be your friend on a long flight.

Always remember: Booze is the answer! (What was the question?)

I fly quite a bit, and takeoff is always tough for me. I really use to stress about turbulence, but did a ton of research on it and now understand it more. Still do not like it, but at least do not go into cold sweats anymore when we hit it.

Couple of strategies i have found useful not using chemistry

1) close the window..i dont know why but it helps me

2) I like to use flightaware to track the flight path before we leave. If there is weather ahead, and i know we going to bump a bit, at least i know why .

3) having said that, sometimes i see the weather ahead, get nervous, and we never even hit a little bump.

4) the noise cancelling headphones are God sends...i used to freak over every little change in engine, or squeak...just much easier this way.

5) As Chef said, do some research. Emotionally, i am still stressed, but my logical mind takes over and i know WAY safer than driving.

Now, if not an early AM flight, i also always have a few beers before i get on, and some airplane bottles at the ready if my nerves get a bit jagged in a storm or something.

For a while, i was taking a Zanax, but research, research, research, got me over the hump.Zanax plus two beers wiped me out for a long time, didn't like that feeling.

Chem

Thanks man!

Taking off is the worst for me. I am usually fine after that. and its a 6am flight

What is it about flying that scares you?

I would say to use the distraction method. Read, do a puzzle, listen to music, play a game, whatever.

It also might help to research how unlikely it is that anything bad is going to happen to you or your flight. If you're a common sense kinda guy that could make a big difference.

Taking off is the worst for me.

I cant even begin to tell you....

having a fear of flying is completely understandable, but it's not nearly as scary as you might think. I have an intense fear of heights, but flying doesn't bother me... I think because you're so high up that you lose the perceived perspective of height (unless you intentionally dwell on it). despite having flown many (many) times before, I decided to ask my doctor for something to relieve anxiety before my recent trip to Ireland, since turbulence over the atlantic on a prior trip to Madrid kind of freaked me out. I usually don't take stuff like that, but he gave me a prescription for Xanax. it worked like a charm without a drop of alcohol, in fact it took three attempts before I was able to watch the new Godzilla movie all the way through.

as others have already mentioned, the noises of the plane (most of which I believe is just hydraulics for steering/control and the stowing/deployment of the landing gear) can be a bit unnerving if you're not used to it. turbulence can potentially freak you out, but plenzmd1's advice is good - research. all turbulence really is is just the plane moving into areas of varying air pressure or crossing something like a jet stream. it sounds and feels like you're in a Greyhound bus hauling down an old dirt road, but it's nothing to worry about.

just do what I do: watch the way the crew behaves. if they're smiling, relaxed, and not batting an eye, then everything's okay.

Good point!

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

I always load up on those small bottles. However they very rarely make it on the plane. Hell two are usually gone on the cab ride to the airport. However drinks on a plane are usually cheaper than In any bar. Where else can you get a Jack and coke for $5-$6?

$7 now...and its $7 for beer too!!! Airplane bottle $2 :thumbsup:

Whatchu talkin' about plenzmd? You can't take a bottle of water through security but you can take little bottles of booze? Seriously?

I used to fill a water bottle with vodka or gin and an empty ice tea bottle with whiskey of some sort. But that stopped once the TSA banned water through security,. I don't fly very often, and my budget isn't what it used to be. But the past two times I flew I was hit with long delays. Long delays are hard on my wallet in an airport---but you do what you have to do. Truth is, I'd still probably hit the bar even if I had the little airline bottles. But I'd spend less on the aircraft.

And White's Bay makes a good point (he usually does). Beer may not be your friend on a long flight.

Always remember: Booze is the answer! (What was the question?)

as many of those little babies as you want...they are less than 3 oz. Actually, i am a little sissy boy and take the Fireball on with me as i am a beer drinker at heart, and those are a little over 3. Think they know some of us need the liquid courage and let it slide.And that has been at just about every freaking airport in this country.

I am not cheap usually, but saving $20 on a flight ...i am all for it.Like i said, bigger advantage is the booze is in my hand when i want it...takeoff and bad turbulance :thumbsup:

I just flew Southwest in August and they were $5.

I flew Southwest a few weeks ago, was number 55 in line to board. Paid the $16 to upgrade and be number 5 to board and got a free drink coupon with my purchase. Too bad I didn't notice the coupon on my receipt until after we had landed.

one great thing about e-cigs/vaporizers is that having kicked the cigarette habit by switching over to the electric variety, I can now go into the bathroom on a transatlantic flight and puff away without setting off alarms or bothering anyone. technology is awesome.

one great thing about e-cigs/vaporizers is that having kicked the cigarette habit by switching over to the electric variety, I can now go into the bathroom on a transatlantic flight and puff away without setting off alarms or bothering anyone. technology is awesome.

I noticed all the people that used to stand outside our office building and vape are no longer vaping. I used to see several of them and now everyone's smoking the real thing.

I flew Southwest a few weeks ago, was number 55 in line to board. Paid the $16 to upgrade and be number 5 to board and got a free drink coupon with my purchase. Too bad I didn't notice the coupon on my receipt until after we had landed.

on Southwest tomorrow coming in for the Pat* game...paid the $12 to get on early, need to check for free drink. Thanks for the heads up!