Convince me Pepper Johnson knows what to do

jester43

Watching a game or two? Or ten? Absolutely not. Watching hundereds of hours of broken down coaches film? Yes. That's how you learn the system.

Further, how much time to you think Pepper Johnson spend studying the Patriots offense during his time in New England? Or do you think he might have spent his time studying opposing offenses in order to, you know, build a defensive game plan against them?

I didn't realize you were speaking from experience. So you're telling me that Schwartz know the pats better than pepper, cous' Schwartz watched film on them this year...... A pepper was a coach on the team ....

Naw, you win. Makes perfect sense.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But its all on film...

OK, so we've come full circle, and I'm glad.

Tell me how Pepper's defensive game planning with New England ten months ago will impact his knowledge of the Patriots offensive game plan for Buffalo this week.

I didn't realize you were speaking from experience. So you're telling me that Schwartz know the pats better than pepper, cous' Schwartz watched film on them this year...... A pepper was a coach on the team ....

Naw, you win. Makes perfect sense.

Pepper knows more about Buffalo's offense last year than he does about New England's offense last year.

Pepper knows more about Buffalo's offense last year than he does about New England's offense last year.

I hope so. But that doesn't make you right.

One is you're task.... You're mission

The other is you're life style, friends, co workers and is a little more intimate.

Are you assuming Pepper is our DC? Because he's not the one comming up with any game plans..... The question is if he has experience enough with the how the coaching staff in NE thinks and likes things.

Edited by JaxBills

I hope so. But that doesn't make you right.

One is you're task.... You're mission

The other is you're life style, friends, co workers and is a little more intimate.

Hopefully, Pepper knows some tells. When the Pats have yellow Gatorade, their first play of the game will be a screen.

Are you assuming Pepper is our DC?

Pepper is the D-line coach. He coached the linebackers in New England.

Because he's not the one comming up with any game plans.....

Incorrect. Every member of the coaching staff works on the game plan. All of the work is a huge collaborative effort by the coaching staff, with vital input from each of them. They all study and break down the film together. Schwartz is the one who ties it all together, but he leans heavily on his people.

The question is if he has experience enough with the how the coaching staff in NE thinks and likes things.

That's all on film.

Agreed. I've been saying all week that I fully expect to see quite a bit of man coverage on the boundaries. I think Gilmore/McKelvin/Graham can win the boundary matchups with Lafell etc.

straight up - i agree, what concerns me with Brady is his ability to see the man cover, and shift his formation so his read is basically beaten before the snap.

I also think I like the idea of a disguising the Robey-Edelman matchup on the inside; show man coverage and play zone in the middle 1/3--use Robey as a blitzer some too.

yes, i saw that, and expect to see it.. but again, when Brady suspects something's up - he usually has the means to expose it, that's why we have to mix everything with pressure.. he only gets frustrated when forced to squander opportunities - and to his credit, he sees more opportunities than the average QB. and yeah, TYTTasker.. i'm thinking consistent pressure in Brady's face will help take the middle passing lanes away, but then you have the 'careful what you ask' situation of defending Edelman (out of the backfield) and Amendola (from the slot) on simple wheel routes - cleared out by the big TEs

straight up - i agree, what concerns me with Brady is his ability to see the man cover, and shift his formation so his read is basically beaten before the snap.

yes, i saw that, and expect to see it.. but again, when Brady suspects something's up - he usually has the means to expose it, that's why we have to mix everything with pressure.. he only gets frustrated when forced to squander opportunities - and to his credit, he sees more opportunities than the average QB. and yeah, TYTTasker.. i'm thinking consistent pressure in Brady's face will help take the middle passing lanes away, but then you have the 'careful what you ask' situation of defending Edelman (out of the backfield) and Amendola (from the slot) on simple wheel routes - cleared out by the big TEs

Agreed. Though I'm not speaking simply to pressue up the middle, though that's vital to keeping him from steping up in the pocket. I was referencing pressure off the edge as well to disrupt his timing, and speed up the clock in his head.

Also, if we can force the Patriots to beat us with underneath wheel routes and slants because we've taken away their ability to pile up chunk yardage on posts and seems? I'd call that a monster of a game plan.

Agreed. Though I'm not speaking simply to pressue up the middle, though that's vital to keeping him from steping up in the pocket. I was referencing pressure off the edge as well to disrupt his timing, and speed up the clock in his head.

Also, if we can force the Patriots to beat us with underneath wheel routes and slants because we've taken away their ability to pile up chunk yardage on posts and seems? I'd call that a monster of a game plan.

Honest question: How does one run a wheel route underneath?

Isn't a wheel route one that starts inside, breaks outside and turns up the sideline?

Isn't a wheel route one that starts inside, breaks outside and turns up the sideline?

I was refering to the initial break in the wheel on the out, though I probably could have been more clear.

If pressure is getting there quickly enough, those routes will have to be cut off as they won't develop quickly enough, and will never escalate to the curved portion run further downfield.

As I said, if were forcing them to try to beat us with that, then Schwartz and co have done a remarkable job.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I don't consider myself an "x" and "o" guy either but what does the DL coach have to do with neutralizing TEs?

So i was reading this at work this morning ( cant post at work ) and thought you had misunderstood Jesters intention with the post.

the gentle fellow i thought right away was talking about P Johnsons years of experience with the team and understanding the nuances of Bill B's methods. That guy has run one hell of a team , season after season after season. Kings of the AFC east. all paths must run through the Pats to achieve recognition in the divison.

What P Johnson and Brandon Spikes offer is a more intimate feel for how it is was done .

Its a good OP.

Every coach forever has looked for an advantage .

I think we beat them with postional disciplne and reacting well to the Pats Offense .

Pepper Johnson, i am SURE has answered some questions from Pajac and D Henderson and maybe even Jim S about the inner workings. Thats how the game is done .. Find the advantages to win on sunday

Edited by 3rdand12

it's basically an elongated swing pass to the RB - or motioned receiver from the opposite side - that can either turn upfield past a LB, or break off into a curl when there's a safety waiting. that's why i'd be concerned with Edelman - when our safeties are pre-occupied on the inside. hopefully we learned something defending the Chargers attack that helps us this Sunday

it's basically an elongated swing pass to the RB - or motioned receiver from the opposite side - that can either turn upfield past a LB, or break off into a curl when there's a safety waiting. that's why i'd be concerned with Edelman - when our safeties are pre-occupied on the inside. hopefully we learned something defending the Chargers attack that helps us this Sunday

Me too.

Personally, I'd like to see them get Preston Brown off the field in nickel situations, even if it means bringing in Duke Williams at SS and walking Searcy down into the box as a nickel LB.

Has to be a better coverage set than the one they kept getting burned on against Rivers

With mr. Brady it's all about pressure up the middle to get him off the spot. Then he gets just a little bit risky, ornery , and less accurate. I think most teams know this (including Pepper and Schwartz) but not many can execute it on a consistent basis. You also have to take away his running game and make them one dimensional which it seems like the Bills should be able to do.

Yup. Pressure up the middle is key. Darius and Kyle need to play well. Also team that can get pressure with 4 have fared better v Brady. If you go small and pass first, their running game will blow bils over like they have in the past.

I'm thinking keep spikes and brown or Bradham out there and a big nickle with Searcey and duke. Man up outside and clog up short middle with zone.

Then you've got run, and avoiding manning spikes on a tight end or RB.

Has to be a better coverage set than the one they kept getting burned on against Rivers

similar concerns in how to defend.. the good news is, defending our O can be a juggling act, too[quote name=over 20 years of fanhood'

timestamp='1413029112' post='3292536]

Then you've got run, and avoiding manning spikes on a tight end or RB.

50s chasing 20s is never a good thing - not in love or football :D

This just looks like a blown coverage to me. I'm thinking #58 he MLB should have been breaking harder to Wright once he released off of the line. The outside linebacker looks like to be responsible for the run and the coverage underneath and in the flat.

yep.. looks like the FS (not shown) is back toward the middle of the field - ready to give help on either seem - because the RCB's thinks he needs to pursue the seem.. 58 could have clamped on that earlier. notice that the 4 man rush is geting no pressure after what looks like free releases by the TEs - if those are both TEs.. (edit - oops.. missed bandit's original screen shots)

we can't let them feel at home, where the buffalo roam :thumbsup:

Edited by BackInDaDay