Convince me Pepper Johnson knows what to do

jester43

im not referring to secret knowledge of a single player. I am referring to knowledge of game planning from the other side utilizing specific personnel tendencies toward matchups. That involves a good deal more than readily available film. He has sat in meetings for 14 years talking about what the offense does not want to see, what they feel comfortable doing and not doing against certain packages and formations. It's a similar advantage to what Schwartz had last Sunday. You can gain some info from game film, but practice and meetings are where the knowledge is. That's why even the pro scouts can't rely on film.

It's all on film. All of it.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all on film. All of it.

Really?

Line calls, checks, route adjustment strategies, etc are all on film?

Every coach in the NFL would love for you to share how you cracked that code.

Yolo's point is that the approach, methodology, and reasoning behind what you see on film is what a coach would hear/see in practice.

There's far more to knowing a player or coach's tendencies that just what you see on Sunday.

Unless your point is that NE has taped other teams' practices, in which case, good call, it'd all be on film.

ok man! You convinced me.

Knock it off. You've posited that there's a secret silver bullet. Tendencies that haven't been mapped over thousands of snaps. I'm not the one who has to do the convincing.

Really?

Yolo's point is that the approach, methodology, and reasoning behind what you see on film is what a coach would hear/see in practice.

There's far more to knowing a player or coach's tendencies that just what you see on Sunday.

Unless your point is that NE has taped other teams' practices, in which case, good call, it'd all be on film.

Good grief.

Another magic bullet believer.

Tell me more about the game plans put in place 10 months before the new schedule came out the Pepper is priviledged to.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I want to believe that's going to be the difference Sunday. I saw the Pats killing Cinci with their tight ends Sunday and that sent chills down my spine...since that has been how they killed us so many times. Evidently the kid they got from Tampa is finally helping them play offense they way they did before Hernandez got locked up.

Any of you X and O addicts think you can tell me what Pepper Johnson might suggest to slow them down?

welp, Pepper is our Dline coach and they are tied with the NFL lead in sacks and number 1 against the run. soo, yeah Edited by SJDK

Knock it off. You've posited that there's a secret silver bullet. Tendencies that haven't been mapped over thousands of snaps. I'm not the one who has to do the convincing.

Good grief.

Another magic bullet believer.

Tell me more about the game plans put in place 10 months before the new schedule came out the Pepper is priviledged to.

Did anyone say he'd know the game plan?

That's not even remotely close to what Yolo (or I) said.

He spoke of tendencies and coaching points among other things that coaches get exposed to in practice.

Are you really denying that?

Seems incredible that any educated fan could/would do so...

No, I said that he brings a level of knowledge of how to strategize and game plan for the Pats' offense that is deeper than what can be gained by studying readily available film. You came up with that term, not me.

He spoke of tendencies and coaching points among other things that coaches get exposed to in practice.

Explain to the group what tendencies Pepper is privy to which haven't shown up on thousands of snaps worth of game tape.

No, I said that he brings a level of knowledge of how to strategize and game plan for the Pats' offense that is deeper than what can be gained by studying readily available film. You came up with that term, not me.

No he doesn't. They Patriots don't do anything different than other teams do. They've simply executed better. Their tendencies are logged in thousands of snaps worth of game film, as are the strengths and weaknesses of their personel.

he was the LB coach in NE. He practiced against Brady for last 14 yrs. Against Gronk, Hernandez. He coached under Belichick for 26 yrs. Meetings, game planning, film study. I'm sure he has some knowledge.

Point of info- he's only been a coach since 2000 in any capacity. And much of that was d line.

He may know some but surely they will have some surprises up their sleeve and that relationship also goes two ways - bb knows our staff better than anyone we've faced yet

Edited by NoSaint

Point of info- he's only been a coach since 2000 in any capacity. And much of that was d line.

He may know some but surely they will have some surprises up their sleeve and that relationship also goes two ways - bb knows our staff better than anyone we've faced yet

Of course...I'd expect nothing less from any NFL coach.

The point is that much more goes into what happens on Sunday than what teams can glean from film. I agree that pepper would have insight as to how BB and his staff put those plans together and the thought process involved.

That the above poster would deny that was unfathomable to me.

Explain to the group what tendencies Pepper is privy to which haven't shown up on thousands of snaps worth of game tape.

Not that it should need to be explained for a 478th time, but...the thought process and methodology behind what you see on film is what Pepper would have insight into.

You may not think that's valuable; I feel comfortable that NFL coaches would disagree.

These are the same staffs that meet with FAs and sign guys off other team's practice squads for the sole reason of getting intel on their opponent.

No he doesn't. They Patriots don't do anything different than other teams do. They've simply executed better. Their tendencies are logged in thousands of snaps worth of game film, as are the strengths and weaknesses of their personel.

Right, and nothing can be gleaned from decades of working with and for the coach and the system. Must be like just playing Madden.

I don't think it's Pepper Johnson who needs to convince you. It's the players playing like they did for Schwartz last week.

After a bit of research I've found that the only encounters Schwartz has had against the Pats* was during his tenure as DC for the Tennessee Titans: 4 times across the 2002, 2003 and 2006 seasons. The averages surrendered over those meetings are as follows: 25.50 PPG, 310.25 Total YPG (189.25 Pass YPG & 121 Rush YPG), and 0.75 generated turnovers PG. Going into week 6 the Pats* offense is averaging 24.60 PPG, 339.80 YPG (217.80 Pass YPG & 122 Rush YPG) and 1 turnover PG.

As with any game stuffing the run and generating 3rd & long is key. Especially seeing as our D has an allowed successful conversion % on 3rd down of 32%, second only to the Colts (30.0%).

Do you think Schwartz can replicate and even improve on the averages during his time with the Titans?

With the way our offense has been struggling it is imperative....

Really?

Yes. Really.

Those are put in week by week as a specific game plan. Pepper Johnson's knowledge of last year's game plan will have no bearing on this year's game.

The code changes every week.

No, it really isn't.

Some people have been repeating this. It doesn't make it true.

Right, and nothing can be gleaned from decades of working with and for the coach and the system.

Approach towards player and personel management can be learned, as well as work ethic. Those aren't what's being discussed, however. Were talking about week to week x's and o's, and game by game planning for a unique opponent every single week. Nothing about Pepper's stay in New England will help him know devine some mystical way to eliminate Gronkowski.

Hours of film study, analyzing the game plans of teams who have mitigated his impact on the game will.

Film study also tells you how to take the starch out of Brady: constant pressure that moves him off his spot, takes him out of rhythm with his receivers, and doesn't allow his downfield routes to develop

Must be like just playing Madden.

This is the dumbest thing I've read on these boards in months, and that's really saying something.

Totally wrong!

Tom Brady has probably taken over 12000 snaps in his professional career. All of them are on film. There is footage of how he reacts and responds to every coverage shell, blitz read, personel grouping, etc. that exists. All of his tendencies are documented there. There is no such thing as a secret, undocumented tendency.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker