This year is different

Obviously, today is the start of a new era of Buffalo Bills Football. It has given me a chance to reflect a little bit on the great years in the early 90's to the struggles of the past decade and a half. While I'm hesistant to buy in too much I really believe this year is different.

When I look at the Bills roster I think when was the last time that the Bills had this many players that a good team would want? Even when the Bills got off to a good start in 2008 they had a few good young players and a decent team but nowhere near the talent on the roster now. By my count even the best teams would want: AW, Dareus, Kyle Williams, Kiko, Sammy, Glenn, Mario, Hughes, Carpenter and then you have some really good players in Graham, Gilmore, Freddie, Bradham, Spikes, Woods and Mike Williams. I am not trying to leave out guys but just proving a point. The Bills have guys that can play anywhere which hasn't been the case in a while. They have the most talented team in the division.

There is some poetic symmetry to the Bills ending the Wilson era in Detroit and starting the Pegula era at home against New Emgland. The unofficial changing of the guard. Let's hope that this positive momentum continues!! Go Bills

Your topic should be "this team is different", because in the ultimate team sport, this is the best team the Bills have had in many years. From backups to starters, this is a good roster. Now we have to keep most of it together and add to it over the next few years and this could be the run that's long overdue. GO BILLS!!!!!

I'm not so sure yet that this team is really different. I hope they are, but I'm not sold.

The story has always been the same, either the Bills have a good enough QB to win but don't have the talent around them or they have a good team without a decent QB. This team still doesn't have a quarterback. Orton may be good enough for a year or two but he's not the long term solution.

I'm not so sure yet that this team is really different. I hope they are, but I'm not sold.

The story has always been the same, either the Bills have a good enough QB to win but don't have the talent around them or they have a good team without a decent QB. This team still doesn't have a quarterback. Orton may be good enough for a year or two but he's not the long term solution.

At this point, "long term" is December and January -- and for that, Uncle Rico is plenty good. If they can get (and stay) healthy, and figure out a way to disguise the imposters posing as OGs, these Bills can beat anyone.

This team has a mental toughness not seen in a long time and has been on display pretty much every game...

Two quality road wins against good opponents, shut down San Diego for most of 2nd half giving chance after chance to the offense to get back in it and then clawed back into the Houston game even with EJ playing horrible...

This team galvanizes together when things go bad it doesn't fold like do many teams before it did...so refreshing for a change

Edited by matter2003

At this point, "long term" is December and January -- and for that, Uncle Rico is plenty good. If they can get (and stay) healthy, and figure out a way to disguise the imposters posing as OGs, these Bills can beat anyone.

You're leaving out February which is where we all ultimately want to be. I agree that Orton can get us to the playoffs which would be great but then we'd have to start all over again with a new QB in a few years anyway.

Good point about the O-line, we won't be getting very far if they don't improve.

Can we just worry about the year we are currently in?

Obviously, today is the start of a new era of Buffalo Bills Football. It has given me a chance to reflect a little bit on the great years in the early 90's to the struggles of the past decade and a half. While I'm hesistant to buy in too much I really believe this year is different.

When I look at the Bills roster I think when was the last time that the Bills had this many players that a good team would want? Even when the Bills got off to a good start in 2008 they had a few good young players and a decent team but nowhere near the talent on the roster now. By my count even the best teams would want: AW, Dareus, Kyle Williams, Kiko, Sammy, Glenn, Mario, Hughes, Carpenter and then you have some really good players in Graham, Gilmore, Freddie, Bradham, Spikes, Woods and Mike Williams. I am not trying to leave out guys but just proving a point. The Bills have guys that can play anywhere which hasn't been the case in a while. They have the most talented team in the division.

There is some poetic symmetry to the Bills ending the Wilson era in Detroit and starting the Pegula era at home against New Emgland. The unofficial changing of the guard. Let's hope that this positive momentum continues!! Go Bills

Yes Kirby I agree. I've believed that teams who have been down for a while become good when their level of talent simply causes them to better than most of their opponents. I believe we have reached that point, and with Orton as QB can really play with 90% of the teams in this league and have a realistic belief they can and/or should win the game.

Minus the QB we have a top 5 talented roster in the NFL. Even with QB considered and us having Orton I'd still put us near top 10...

Minus the QB we have a top 5 talented roster in the NFL. Even with QB considered and us having Orton I'd still put us near top 10...

At first I was kind of put off by this comment. But in all honesty, if this team has a top tier QB....wow, that would be fun to watch. But efficient will get us to the playoffs...Let's GO!!!!

It doesn't matter how much talent you have on your team if you don't have a competent qb or a not ready qb behind the center. As has been demonstrated in the first quarter of the season a talented receiver corps is wasted if the passes are consistently thrown in a scatter-shot manner. A very vulnerable OL, mostly at the guard positions, is even more exposed when the qb taking the snaps is indecisive and inaccurate. Orton playing at simply a competent level at the minimum limits its obvious vulnerabilities.

Orton is an average to below average starting qb. But he still falls in the category of being a capable starting qb. The difference between a raw young qb and a veteran qb who knows how to run an offense is very stark. I'm not an EJ basher. He is a high character person with an impressive work ethic. In time he may or may not become a franchise qb. But at this time he simply isn't ready.

Many people are praising Marrone for being courageous in making the qb swithch. Not I. He had no other choice. Unless he was willing to witness a season in its early stage spiral out of control.

There is a bright glow from the ownership change and confidence in knowing that the team will be anchored in western NY for a very long time. But when I watched Orton complete some tough throws and with poise hang in there against a high quality defense I was as optimistic about this team more than I have been in a long time.

While I think that Orton has reached his ceiling as a QB.....I think that he can improv on last weeks performance purely from the "rust" standpoint

As they progress through the season Orton will get better timing with his receivers.....which will result in better efficiency.

Many examples of teams bringing in veteran QBs for a few years on otherwise talented teams that made the playoffs...

Rich Gannon with Raiders, Trent Green with Chiefs, Alex Smith with Chiefs, Chad Pennington with Dolphins, etc...

Many examples of teams bringing in veteran QBs for a few years on otherwise talented teams that made the playoffs...

Rich Gannon with Raiders, Trent Green with Chiefs, Alex Smith with Chiefs, Chad Pennington with Dolphins, etc...

Some good examples can I add Kurt Warner to the Cards?

The point being that the top to bottom talent on this team is far superior to where it has been in a long time. The Bills have consistently picked early but when you take Maybin or Mike Williams or Losman or McCargo in the 1st round it sets you back. Then think about Hardy & Troupe people like that. The lasts few years the Bills have hit a much better % on these (Dareus, Glenn, Kiko, AW, etc...) and raised the talent level. Sprinkle in some FA's (Mario) and you are getting somewhere. Everyone would love Aaron Rodgers as their QB obviously. Would you rather have the Bills roster with Orton as your QB or Atlanta's roster with Matt Ryan as you QB? Baltimore? Pittsburgh? That's how I am looking at this. Outside of QB I don't think that anyone would trade rosters with those teams. That hasn't always been the case.