Websites / links you like

bowery4

I posted this before... But still think it is cool. Zoom in on the coast of China or near Singapore... Holy good God, this is where all our consumer crap is coming from? The miracle of the shipping container!

www.MarineTraffic.com

That is a good one seeing we can see all the ships anchored in the bay. Most are tankers waiting to go to the refineries over in Richmond.

Must look pretty cool to see it in person and then check the computer, iPad, or whatever... You can get the names of the vessels and pictures, etc...

Or back track their route in. We check the pics online then put the telescope or binoculars on them. Very cool.

Good! love way back archive, sort of forgot about that one freshly bookmarked. And

ExiledInIllinois do you have any idea about shipping stuff from Thailand to the US? I have stuff to send home and need advice. If you do can I PM you?

I really don't know about international shipping. My brother moves cars and his company helped one poster here move a car up from FLA to WNY. You can PM me if you want. When it comes to international shipping I suppose you get a container. A guy @ work did that when he moved to England and then back again. They drop it off @ your place, you load it up and then they pick it up and off it goes... By truck, rail and sea I guess. He actually said he got by packing his shotguns both ways... I think guns are a no-no in England. But this was back in the mid-1990's

I would call a container shipper... Maersk comes to mind. I see those containers all the time:

www.MaerskLine.com

They ship from Thailand and to all over the world. Ever see the way they stack those on the boats? Just hope it ain't the one that falls into the ocean... LoL... Those containers on ships look like they are going to topple right over. I suppose they lose stuff when it the seas get rough. I wonder how many big screen TV's are laying @ the bottom of the Pacific ocean? LoL... ;-)

Or back track their route in. We check the pics online then put the telescope or binoculars on them. Very cool.

That is so neat! They actually have "boat spotters" all over the world taking pictures. You can open an account with your email... Etc... Start your own "fleet" to track... Even get emails about which boat is your fleet is within range of you. I uploaded some of the pictures for our lock. It's open and you can upload photos of vessels and land stations. The pics I uploaded were already public on the internet to begin with. I checked and it wasn't a big deal (say with security).

I do think that MarineTraffic is a company out of Cyprus? Some of the lock operators through out the country were trying to get the Corps to link in with them... Being from Cyprus, that was the reason the Corps turned down the suggestion. I guess they have to be careful? @ work we use Google Earth Pro with the Corps AiS Production System as an overlay. It would be cool if we could get real-time ice conditions as an overlay during the winter.

Modern tech is so cool and wild! I can spend forever looking @ maps and tracking this stuff! It must be really cool to look out from your house and have a bird's eye view!

Thanks ExiledInIllinois I am an artist so I am mostly packing up artwork and some of my kids stuff. Don't have much in terms of things I want to keep otherwise. I won't need a whole container at all. It is crazy how convoluted shipping a crate is from here. I am thinking of maybe air freighting some pretty big boxes now. Sea shipping seems to be a giant hassle! Fumigated wood has to be used and all sorts of custom clearances....if you eff it up it goes into government storage which I am sure aint cheap, ah the good old USA. I still have to figure out where to ship it to because I really am not sure where I will end up yet.

More links

http://www.etymonline.com/

https://japan.webike.net/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-factory-releases/the-greatest-electronic-albums-of-the-1950s-and-1960s-2/

Edited by bowery4