Please tell me why Kyle Orton is not the long term answer ?

HOUSE

Very interesting stat from the Sal article:

"Even though he turns 32 on Nov. 14, take a look around the NFL right now. Of the top 13 quarterbacks in passer rating, 12 are 30 years old or more. The list includes Rodgers (30), Manning (38), Ben Roethlisberger (32), Tony Romo (34), Tom Brady (37), Philip Rivers (32), Carson Palmer (35), Drew Brees (35), Eli Manning (33), Jay Cutler (31), and Alex Smith (30). The interloper is 25-year-old Andrew Luck."

A reason to keep a vet AND develop a guy like EJ. I'd also draft a mid-rounder (this year or next, depending on how Uncle Orton plays out) and develop him too!

As for 'ol Kyle, let's see where we get over the next few games - if we make the playoffs, I think you pay the guy for a few more years...

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of crazy talk. If he finishes 10-6 or 11-5, and wins a playoff game you extend him for two years at $12 mil a year with an option after another good year to pay him real QB money as the TV revenue kicks up dramatically at that point, and see if he can repeat with better players.

Make sure we resign these good players we picked up like Hughes, and Glenn, and build a tough team. They have 8 games to figure out if Dixon and Brown are real RB's as Freddy as much as i love him will not last forever.

MGK , you suggest that the decisions be made post season. Thats all i would ask for now.

But if he continues trending upward ya gotta consider thinking a longer contract, But as the Bills are reasonably intelligent these days ( ? ) you dont discuss his contract till our playoff run. or after the season whichever comes second

ps you do think protecting the old goat should be the priority dont you ?

Edited by 3rdand12

Dear John,

read your letter . But i stopped at BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER. Everyone know it's Best Player Available BPA , Not BAP !

Do you even watch the games ? good grief Man !

For everyone who is participating on this subject ,including the press.

the guy has played , like , 4 games for Buffalo .

And folks are thinking contract already ?

Some have even decided that Kyle will walk.

This is all crazy talk. Let the Man finish the season .

But i sure like the guy and his chutzpah (? )

Go Bills

:)

We should obviously have him finish the season......dont want to pull another Fitzpatrick here

I don't think even Orton's Arm was saying "pay the man now" to be fair C.Biscuit. We need to see how this play out... but if Orton's performance stays as it has been so far I think you pay him starter money and intend on him starting at least through 2016.

I agree that it makes the most sense to wait until after the season before addressing his contract. Assuming his next eight games for the Bills are like his first four, it would then make sense to address his contract. And to address it very seriously. The Bills should enter those contract negotiations fully prepared to give him the kind of contract a top-15 quarterback would expect. A four to six year deal.

:)

We should obviously have him finish the season......dont want to pull another Fitzpatrick here

Why are you all saying this? We have no leverage after the season. Does nobody think any other teams will want him?

The Fitz deal was reported as some crazy contract, but in reality it wasn't and didn't hamstring us at all.

Why are you all saying this? We have no leverage after the season. Does nobody think any other teams will want him?

The Fitz deal was reported as some crazy contract, but in reality it wasn't and didn't hamstring us at all.

How many teams are going to be willing to pay top money for Kyle Orton? Look at the Josh McNown situation. One outliner season and a team pays him to be a starter. Orton has a career high of 21 tds.

You don't re-energize a fanbase by signing Orton. I don't think his market will be as big as some think. Also, if he does finish up the year here well, is there a better situation for him? These are decisions you make after you have clinched a playoff berth, not after 4 games.

How many teams are going to be willing to pay top money for Kyle Orton? Look at the Josh McNown situation. One outliner season and a team pays him to be a starter. Orton has a career high of 21 tds.

You don't re-energize a fanbase by signing Orton. I don't think his market will be as big as some think. Also, if he does finish up the year here well, is there a better situation for him? These are decisions you make after you have clinched a playoff berth, not after 4 games.

+1

4 games and one against a truly pathetic team in the NYETS.

And some might say against a bad Vikings team as well.

queue the trolls to blast me and not others critical of KO

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

+1

4 games and one against a truly pathetic team in the NYETS.

And some might say against a bad Vikings team as well.

queue the trolls to blast me and not others critical of KO

IMO, his far and away best game was the Jets. Hopefully, this is the start of a trend.

IT's not Orton's fault but this franchise settles on QBs. You need to play the odds and the odds say that mostly likely, Orton will regress to the mean. He (his team) started 5-0 one season and finished 8-8.

He might be the best backup QB in the NFL. He is a really good spot starter. But I think it is ok to questions about him being a long term starter. We need more evidence. People love Fitz (myself included) and now trash him here. The difference between Fitz and Orton isn't that big.

Yes, it was the best game by KO of the 4 WRT to TD's and the lack of turnovers and may it continue.

what people are ignoring

the NYETS have only 1 INT this season. 6 strips with 2 recoveries.

putting Kyle in the same category as Brady, Luck, P Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger and Brees is ludicrous at this time. Kyle's only 2 games over .500 for his career. That's Mark Sanchez like numbers.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

There was nothing wrong at all with the contract. The problem was deciding we were set at the qb position and having nothing behind Fitz.

Think of it this way: waiting for awhile longer is smart for both sides.

1) For the Bills, they need to know his play will continue to be high end. His play warrants a "big" contact, putting age/status/history aside for a moment. If he leads them to the playoffs, he deserves it. Now, while they might get him cheaper now, he's worth what he is worth. Therefore, the Bills should match any price he gets from another team.

2) For Kyle Orton, if he continues his top shelf play, he'll get paid either way. From us, or someone else. Now, given that we've established that he's worth what he is worth (market value), and that the Bills would (should) match any offer given to him, then he would likely pick the best team/situation he can find. If he just got to the playoffs with the Bills, I think you'd be hard pressed to find another team that needs a QB and has made the playoffs like the Bills just did. Why would he leave in that case?

So the downside there is that you might get him cheaper if you offer a contact sooner, but I think it's a risk that is justified. Wait and see how it plays out.

Edited by gregor7777

There was nothing wrong at all with the contract. The problem was deciding we were set at the qb position and having nothing behind Fitz.

I don't think they'll make that mistake again. I think they would be thinking of being set maybe for 2-3 years.

I would not wait until the end of the season.

If he goes 3-1 in November, I push hard for this.

So you're saying wait for him to reach peak value, then let him go on the open market? Brilliant! I'm sure there will be plenty of options after he leaves.

This is what I am thinking!

Well if we had kept him maybe. But we paid him alot not to be here. Thats another story of course !

Thing about this situation with Bills is they cannot afford to keep f'ng up the QB position any longer.

Not a decision i would want to make for sure. Maybe the end of the season is a bit too long for leverage. ( i dont think we have any anyways ) he is a shrewd fellow ). But now is much much too soon. Bills need to get a feel for EJs development , spy the End of season potential FA market and most important makes sure Kyle survives. I have said before i am rather worried about his health behind this line .

One thing is nice about this discussion is that ...most of us like the guy enough to try keeping him ! I am a fan for one.

GO BILLS!