Article- Reality Check: Is EJ Manuel a Bust?

YoloinOhio

Misleading/bad article.

It demonstrates why human beings are paid a lot of money to make key personnel decisions, and why we don't rely on computer programs filled with statistics instead.

This article suggests EJ will be just fine, b/c he is statistically on course with lots of other good QBs.

That misses the entire point about EJ, which is that he will never be a good QB in the NFL for a whole host of reasons that transcend mere statistics. That's where a human brain trumps a computer.

Just wait. Things with EJ are right on course so far.

Step 1 was to put him on the bench. Step 2 will be to remove him from the team. Step 3 will be to remove him from the NFL.

And then we can re-address this article and its over-reliance on statistics.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Misleading/bad article.

It demonstrates why human beings are paid a lot of money to make key personnel decisions, and why we don't rely on computer programs filled with statistics instead.

This article suggests EJ will be just fine, b/c he is statistically on course with lots of other good QBs.

That misses the entire point about EJ, which is that he will never be a good QB in the NFL for a whole host of reasons that transcend mere statistics. That's where a human brain trumps a computer.

Step 1 was to put him on the bench. Step 2 will be to remove him from the team. Step 3 will be to remove him from the NFL.

Actually, it doesn't suggest that at all if one is reading without agenda.

All it suggests is that his results (stats and record) aren't out of whack with other rookie QBs of this same era.

Also, just a note on style: you may try sticking the occasional IMO (in my opinion) when stating opinions--you'll find it gains you more credibility than simply stating your opinions as facts.

I think people are too quick to label quarterbacks a bust if things go poorly. You have to appreciate and consider the context around the player.

I wasn't completely sold on labeling guys like Tim Couch and David Carr busts as professional players because they were talents on really crappy teams with offensive lines so poor that they were running for their lives all game.

True lousy players are Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith and JaMarcus Russell, largely due to their own problems and terrible attitudes.

As for E.J. he's not there yet because he's got a good attitude and he hasn't played "a lot" of games. However, he doesn't have the out of playing on a bad team. Bills are loaded with playmakers.

Misleading/bad article.

You mean like the ones who drafted EJ and believed in him until the end of training camp?

There in no way to know if EJ will be a good QB in the NFL or not yet. The original development plan was trashed last year and they are only reviving it now.

Really good article. I love the Romo picture. It looks like his high school year book photo.

I'm a patient dude by name (except wanting to fire Marrone :) ) but I never got why people want to be the first to call a player a bust. Especially a QB. I'm not a fan of this move because I would like EJ to learn on the job. But it is a 5 year contract and hopefully, this is just a stumbling block and he can learn from this.

Easy thing in the world is to say a player, especially a QB, will fail. Hopefully, this takes some pressure off and he can grow from this.

I actually like the move.

I think the line is too young and leaving EJ too vulnerable. He's still trying to figure out what he's seeing, and he can't do that and run away from trouble at the same time.

Let him sit and learn and watch (hopefully) how an NFL vet slides out of trouble.

Will that be enough to help him blossom, can't tell, but I can't see that it would do anyone any good for EJ to hang in there and get pasted for another week. There's a point at which a learning experience becomes a "burning experience"?

Has anything changed where he doesn't suck? No. Is he still on this team? Yes. Are there still fans of EJ's that backed other failures like JP, RJ, Trent and pining for EJ to hopefully get it when he clearly wont? Yes.

Therefore the "EJ sucks" threads will continue until he is gone

Hmmm, sounds like a "campaign" to me.....TOS anyone?

Has anything changed where he doesn't suck? No. Is he still on this team? Yes. Are there still fans of EJ's that backed other failures like JP, RJ, Trent and pining for EJ to hopefully get it when he clearly wont? Yes.

Or Improve!!!

I actually like the move.

I think the line is too young and leaving EJ too vulnerable. He's still trying to figure out what he's seeing, and he can't do that and run away from trouble at the same time.

Let him sit and learn and watch (hopefully) how an NFL vet slides out of trouble.

Will that be enough to help him blossom, can't tell, but I can't see that it would do anyone any good for EJ to hang in there and get pasted for another week. There's a point at which a learning experience becomes a "burning experience"?

I agree with this!

NFL Philosophy@NFLosophy 18m18 minutes ago

I think @AlbertBreer NAILED it here: "EJ Manuel benching underscores NFL's flawed approach to QBs" http://www.nfl.com/n...to-qbs …

Best line in the aritcle:

In a way, all of that's too bad. But so long as everyone else is on a short leash, quarterbacks will be, too, which ultimately is likely to lead to the NFL having less good ones.

EJ has too many positive attributes to think we've seen the last of him as a starter in this league. His timidness on the field is a correctable flaw; as his confidence grows that will take care of itself. His biggest issues are lack of confidence and trust in what he sees on the field, patience and the incessant coachspeak of "no negative plays." All of this can be corrected with experience.

This idea that he can't read defenses is utter crap because he's shown that he can numerous times going back to his first game vs NE* last season. That's not to say that he can't be fooled by coverages as ALL QBs can be at times, especially young, inexperienced ones, Especially those with wavering confidence.

If he keeps his nose to the grindstone and chooses to use his demotion as motivation to get better, he can. He was definitely feeling the pressure of the job and that served to erode his confidence. I think he can turn it around.

GO BILLS!!!

EJ has too many positive attributes to think we've seen the last of him as a starter in this league. His timidness on the field is a correctable flaw; as his confidence grows that will take care of itself. His biggest issues are lack of confidence and trust in what he sees on the field, patience and the incessant coachspeak of "no negative plays." All of this can be corrected with experience.

This idea that he can't read defenses is utter crap because he's shown that he can numerous times going back to his first game vs NE* last season. That's not to say that he can't be fooled by coverages as ALL QBs can be at times, especially young, inexperienced ones, Especially those with wavering confidence.

If he keeps his nose to the grindstone and chooses to use his demotion as motivation to get better, he can. He was definitely feeling the pressure of the job and that served to erode his confidence. I think he can turn it around.

GO BILLS!!!

Thank you...this gets lost in the conversation far too frequently

EJ's made plays when he knows where he's going with the ball before it's snapped. this is why the coaches worked so hard on coordinating the timing of routes with his mechanics - because the game's still too fast for him to make decisions. unfortunately, situational football requires the QB to make decisions when plays break down, and the first thing a DC's gonna do is disrupt those timing plays and make the young QB find his other options.

eventually, given the opportunity, the young QB gets comfortable and grows confident in his decisions. kids like Wilson and Bridgewater, who immediately look like 10 year vets, are the exception to the rule. which is why i have a soft spot for guys like Eli and Smith, who were almost drummed out of the league before getting 'it'

For young QB's, don't look at stats- look at feet and eyes. Those will determine stats and a lot more.

This is true. EJ's impatience causes him to have happy feet in the pocket. And he clearly doesn't trust his eyes often enough as he's all to quick to bail on a play. Getting hit 16 times in a game can do this to you, but that just means he needs to make hay when he's NOT under pressure, like all good QBs do.

GO BILLS!!!

EJ's made plays when he knows where he's going with the ball before it's snapped. this is why the coaches worked so hard on coordinating the timing of routes with his mechanics - because the game's still too fast for him to make decisions. unfortunately, situational football requires the QB to make decisions when plays break down, and the first thing a DC's gonna do is disrupt those timing plays and make the young QB find his other options.

eventually, given the opportunity, the young QB gets comfortable and grows confident in his decisions. kids like Wilson and Bridgewater, who immediately look like 10 year vets, are the exception to the rule. which is why i have a soft spot for guys like Eli and Smith, who were almost drummed out of the league before getting 'it'

Bridgewater has played exactly one game. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

You realize how stupid this is, right? Blaming the EJ sucks threads on the people who support him. You clearly have made up your mind that EJ will never be good. That's fine. But since he is still quite young and has only played 14 games behind a fairly bad OL and with coaches who are in over their head's, it is far to early to make that determination. Those people who are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt are responding to the idiocy of the EJ sucks crowd, they are not the cause of it.