Will we see a more sophisticated offense with Orton?

Jackel_One

57 members have voted

1. 1. Given Orton?s experience and time in the league, does anyone think we may start to see a more sophisticated, multifaceted, and/or open offense?

Now that EJ is out and Orton is in.

Given Orton’s experience and time in the league, does anyone think we may start to see a more sophisticated, multifaceted, and/or open offense?

If so, what are your expectations as far as the type of offense / play calling goes?

/r

FireChan - wishful thinking.

As for my wishful thinking, no. I hope we see an old fashioned football team. An I formation with Summers/Dixon and a HB, wish bone, T-formation, all of that. I hope that in this transition we simple down the offense to help Orton but in doing so find we are successful playing old fashioned smashing football.

If we cannot, I hope to see Hackett gone by the end of December should we not be in a viable position to win the division. There is no chance we get a wild card.

It's not going to be the vast improvement we are all looking for. Keep in mind that Orron has only had the playbook for a few weeks. He's still learning and getting comfortable with everyone and everything. He was never a great QB to begin with. Very mediocre. Add to that the fact that he was happy to retire just a few months ago. Is his head going to be in the game or is his brain already in retirement land? I think there will be a slight increase in accuracy off the bat but Orton doesn't have a high ceiling so we will probably stick to the run first gameplan where we only need the QB to make a handful of plays to keep us in the game. So no, I don't expect much to change except a slight increase in accuracy

I don't know if it will be more sophisticated or not.

But, what I do expect to see is Kyle winging it down field a lot more than EJ did. Sort of like last year when Thaddeus and Tuel Time got in, they threw it around a lot more.

EJ seems to not see the guys downfield or just chooses not to throw it to them and prefers check downs. Or else Hackett Jr. calls a completely different game when EJ's not in. I think it's more the former.

Edited by reddogblitz

I expect to see Orton on his back alot. -Initially anyway... Even if he finds time to throw the ball, I wonder what Chemistry he will have with WR's that are so undisciplined?

He is going to be sidelined by games end, and EJ back in.

Like EJ a lot will depend upon

A. How our OL does most importantly in making the run game work and also in keeping Orton off his butt

B. If our WRs have a case of the droppsies even on well thrown balls like they did on Sunday I expect little from Orton.

EJ sucked on Sunday and benching him is not unreasonable, but it would be pretty unreasonable to expect a lot from Orton than a him being a QB with starter talent, but in the end a .500 performer whose record is .500 at 35-35 in the 70 games he has started in his career.

Orton has also demonstrated a propensity for getting knocked out of the starter role about 3 times due to injury (usually to his ankle)

Marrone and Hackett will over react and run the ball too much against a good defensive front. Will see a lot of two yard CJ Spiller runs. Only hope is that Orton can get the ball to the WR's on the crossing routes that EJ missed. And that is if he has time and they don't drop the ball.

if these receivers are as wide open like they have been. And Orton can hit them without risk of decappatation, in stride, and score points. Everyone should be thrilled

Interested in seeing what he can do in the red zone. But really he is no all pro. But, executing Hackett's gameplan would be a huge step up.

Edited by Best Player Available

Orton is not very mobile and he doesn't throw the best long pass. So he may get sacked more than EJ and he won't stretch the field.

But as an experienced guy I would expect him to find open receivers more proficiently - and actually complete those passes.

Eventually his presence could lead to a more sophisticated offense. I'm not sure I'd expect that right away.

Things Orton will do better than EJ:

1. Run the read option. Yep, that's right.
  2. Throw intermediate timing routes (on which our offense relies)
  3. Get the ball out quickly (Sacks will go down, mark my words)
  4. Hit receivers deep on play action.
  5. Hit his receivers in stride allowing them to pick up YAC.

Please note: I do mean to suggest Orton will do any of these things particularly well. But he will do them better than EJ did. That's why EJ got benched.

Orton will be better at EJ at all these things (including, yes, the read option) because (and this is the most important part) EJ was absolutely LOUSY at doing all these things over the past two weeks.

We need competency in these five areas to succeed. Listen to the national guys, there is consensus that we have one of the best 21 man rosters in the NFL. We do not need a first-balloter under center to succeed this year.

But, so long as we couldn't competently execute the five things above, we were doomed to fail.

Orton--at the very least--puts us closer to achieving that very attainable goal: competency.

The offense doesn't need to change. If executed properly (and as we've now all seen from the all-22 reviews, that was hardly a tall order) we would have been damn close to 4-0, but assuredly, we would be 3-1.

If the offense does change, the one wrinkle we can expect is all the payoff on the setup plays we've run that never got to show their second and third looks. I'm talking about the fake reverse draw screens, etc.

can you master a playbook in 4 weeks ?

i say they dumb it down while detroit knocks the rust off orton.

more sophisticated ?

no.

same playbook, hopefully Orton can go through his reads/progressions faster than EJ.

otherwise....we're doooomed.

Now that EJ is out and Orton is in.

Given Orton’s experience and time in the league, does anyone think we may start to see a more sophisticated, multifaceted, and/or open offense?

If so, what are your expectations as far as the type of offense / play calling goes?

/r

Just the opposite. Orton is a terrible short to medium passer and wildly inaccurate He is immobile and not a great thrower after he takes off. 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense and strong d from here on out.

Things Orton will do better than EJ:

1. Run the read option. Yep, that's right.

2. Throw intermediate timing routes (on which our offense relies)

3. Get the ball out quickly (Sacks will go down, mark my words)

4. Hit receivers deep on play action.

5. Hit his receivers in stride allowing them to pick up YAC.

Please note: I do mean to suggest Orton will do any of these things particularly well. But he will do them better than EJ did. That's why EJ got benched.

Orton will be better at EJ at all these things (including, yes, the read option) because (and this is the most important part) EJ was absolutely LOUSY at doing all these things over the past two weeks.

We need competency in these five areas to succeed. Listen to the national guys, there is consensus that we have one of the best 21 man rosters in the NFL. We do not need a first-balloter under center to succeed this year.

But, so long as we couldn't competently execute the five things above, we were doomed to fail.

Orton--at the very least--puts us closer to achieving that very attainable goal: competency.

The offense doesn't need to change. If executed properly (and as we've now all seen from the all-22 reviews, that was hardly a tall order) we would have been damn close to 4-0, but assuredly, we would be 3-1.

If the offense does change, the one wrinkle we can expect is all the payoff on the setup plays we've run that never got to show their second and third looks. I'm talking about the fake reverse draw screens, etc.

Great analysis Cat. I do not see anything wrong with the offensive design myself. It has been very poorly executed, particularly at the QB position. While watching the KC/NE game I was struck by how similar the two offensive systems are. The difference? Alex Smith has been very accurate and executing the design nearly flawlessly. The talent on the two teams on offense is similar (Buffalo's receivers are actually better overall I think) but Smith is putting the ball on the receivers hands and allowing them to make plays. What a concept. If Orton can play to Smith's level, and Smith will never be confused with Peyton Manning, the Bills will be very hard to beat. I guess we will see come Sunday.