The future of EJ Manuel

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He would have a future if he was just making rookie mistakes but playing well otherwise... that isn't the case - he simply wasn't doing anything right.

That's the thing. It would be completely different if EJ was making plays with those typical rookie mistakes as they learn to read NFL defenses. But he wasn't even doing the simple and easy things consistently. It was just mostly really bad.

I don't see a guy with EJ's issues ever being good.

People want to say "Well, Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning didn't win in their first years!"

While true, that is evidence of nothing. It completely ignores EJ's specific issues.

Aikman and Manning were not considered busts because their teams didn't win right away. It was obvious that they were going to be good. They threw well. They looked like good QBs on bad teams. Yes, they made mental errors, forced throws into coverage, and turned the ball over, but that is correctable.

Not having the basic skills is much harder to correct.

When it looks like pulling teeth to move the ball downfield you've got a serious problem. When you come in, throw for 300+ yards and then make some boneheaded mistakes that can be worked on because at least you've shown an ability to hit open guys.

Edited by TheFunPolice

There is no future for EJ Manuel. He is done in Buffalo. I asked in another thread if anyone remembered a QB who came back from a benching. They said Brees for Flutie. I don't remember a benching, I remember Brees getting injured. Even so, that was the only example they could come up with. QB's do not rebound from getting benched. We've seen it here with JP Losman. If EJ does come back, it will be elsewhere, as Brees did in Nawlins.

Steve young was benched in the middle of an offensive series with the Bucs!

But EJ is no Steve Young.

the ONLY thing EJ doesn't control is when his next chance will come.

Orton may play himself into next years starter....

or Orton might get injured in his first game.

long term: maybe Pegula cleans house and the GM who helped pick ya is no longer there.

just continue to prepare and be ready.

Exactly. One huge problem is that the "experts" see something like a few missed throws at a Pro Day and report it ad nauseum, causing GM's to ignore scores of game tape and get gun shy on draft day. Unbelievable.

I honestly don't think GMs rely very much upon press reports or the opinions of "experts". I think the actual pro scouts and evaluators have their own criteria and weightings, leading to so many errant predictions by pundits.

Whether individual teams' pro scouts and evaluators place too much weight on what a guy looks like in shorts, is another issue - but I don't think it's caused by expert ad nauseum reporting.

Steve young was benched in the middle of an offensive series with the Bucs!

But EJ is no Steve Young.

Young was a bust with the Bucs. He was done. He was going to SF to sit on the bench.

Then there's the strange case of Alex Smith, who went from the #1 overall draft choice, to a bust, multiple benchings, and somehow emerged as a quite good QB in his 6th year.

Hasn't Locker been benched a couple times?

I honestly don't think GMs rely very much upon press reports or the opinions of "experts". I think the actual pro scouts and evaluators have their own criteria and weightings, leading to so many errant predictions by pundits.

Whether individual teams' pro scouts and evaluators place too much weight on what a guy looks like in shorts, is another issue - but I don't think it's caused by expert ad nauseum reporting.

Young was a bust with the Bucs. He was done. He was going to SF to sit on the bench.

Then there's the strange case of Alex Smith, who went from the #1 overall draft choice, to a bust, multiple benchings, and somehow emerged as a quite good QB in his 6th year.

Hasn't Locker been benched a couple times?

Nope, Locker just gets hurt a ton.