The future of EJ Manuel

I am so very sorry if you feel this should be included in all the other threads but I really felt it would be lost and I thought it would be worth mentioning and I would truly and sincerely like as much input on this as possible.

First and foremost, I am from Ohio and have been a Bills fan my entire life, and the thing about the Bills is you just don't stop being a fan. So chances are I'll be a Bills fan for life although it is quite difficult at times. That being said, I'll admit I was one that was watching Teddy Bridgewater on Sunday and posted a comment on one of the threads and kept asking myself "How do we continue to get this wrong time and time again, yet a team like the Vikings takes a QB with the last pick in the 1st round and darn near strike gold".

Which brings me to the main point of making this thread. Please watch this video and the ONLY play, I really want to emphasize because the rest of the video I could really care less, the ONLY play I want you to watch then you can close the video starts at 0:26.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuwOOMNq2bE

If you would like to chime in, the question I would like answered is: Has EJ ever in his entire NFL career made this throw because Bridgewater initially has a clean pocket but after about 2 seconds he has a defender coming at him from the blind side and another defender with a full head of steam coming at him. Yet delivers a ball, on time and on target, to a receiver running full speed across the field. The ball is not behind him, above him, too low. It is precisely where it needs to be where it needs to be 30 yards from the quarterback.

So bottom line, can you pin point a time EJ has made this throw, if so, good on you, if not, do you believe seeing what you have inevitably saw over the past 14 games, has he shown any improvement whatsoever on being able to make that throw?

Thanks guys and Go Bills.

Edited by BillsFan3434

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few responses:

1) IN

2) This is some highlight reel....and it was his first game. I agree that there are a lot of throws in there that EJ has never successfully made. And Bridgewater seems to have great presence in the pocket, mobility, and accuracy. Sad, but looks like we missed on another guy.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, and no I don't remember seeing EJ make that throw but that doesn't mean it never happened. But I seriously feel like he looked better last year as a rookie, than he does now. He did all that offseason training with the QB guru, kapernick, etc and got the new QB coach. Plus Hackett, marrone, orton. Maybe it was too many people in his ear and his whole world is a soup sandwich.

But Teddy had such a bad pro day. I don't get it.

Exactly. One huge problem is that the "experts" see something like a few missed throws at a Pro Day and report it ad nauseum, causing GM's to ignore scores of game tape and get gun shy on draft day. Unbelievable.

Exactly. One huge problem is that the "experts" see something like a few missed throws at a Pro Day and report it ad nauseum, causing GM's to ignore scores of game tape and get gun shy on draft day. Unbelievable.

Agreed...

Bridgewater looked like a sure fire top 5 pick during most of his College career...But the paralysis from over analysis set in after that Pro Day...I'm not saying Bridgewater is the next big thing or anything like that...But considering what he did in College, and the fact that he plays the QB position, I don't think there is much doubt he should have gone a bit higher than #32 overall... B-)

I should also mention concerning the the topic that I don't think there was ever a time that anyone analyzing the NFL Draft felt that EJ was a better pro prospect than Teddy...Sure EJ has the prototypical size...But Bridgewater was always considered the better prospect...

Edited by KOKBILLS

Normally when the college fan base of the player you drafted thinks you made a big mistake, you know. I'm an FSU guy and i'll always have love for EJ, i was literally following him since he was a high school senior when i knew he was coming to FSU. But, he simply doesn't have what it takes. Great kid, works to be better but sometimes hard work isn't enough, you have it or you don't. I hope he catches on somewhere(Maybe even in Buffalo) but i doubt it. Was a terrible QB class, Buddy Nix waited too long to get the QB of the future. Onto the next one.

I still can't believe that years of dominance and spectacular play at Louisville was completely forgotten because of an hour in shorts.

Yeah his decisiveness looks incredible. Everything he does just looks quick. God, that video is so depressing.

This. Teddy looked like he was flying out of the pocket.

Pro day/Senior bowl nonsense is how we ended up w EJ. Bridgewater was lights out in college.

It just keeps getting worse.

You know a good rule of thumb?

If a guy cannot throw for 300 yards once in 3/4 of a season (and doesn't get close) he probably will never be any good.

Jeff freaking Tuel dropped 300 on undefeated KC, who had a good defense, last season. Rookies come in and throw for 300 in their first games. Yet for EJ it seems impossible (heck, for most QBs the Bills have had for the past decade aside from Bledsoe and Fitzpatrick it seemed impossible).

You don't need 300 every game, but barely cracking 220 or so in today's NFL means you are not making enough plays in the passing game.

Edited by TheFunPolice