JW's Bills-Texans All-22 Review

thebandit27

In several previous two-minute drives in his career and including the OT drive vs. the Bears as well, EJ looked confident in where he wanted to go with the ball. I'd even go so far as to say he was pretty good moving the ball in a two-minute offense. But when I saw that throw to Woods at the end of the first half, it was like seeing an entirely different QB vs. the one I saw in those situations previously. He looked afraid of making a mistake. By the time he threw the pick 6 to start the 3rd quarter on Sunday, the transformation was complete. He was shattered from what I saw after that. Hope the kid rebounds.

GO BILLS!!!

agreed. Something happened during/after the SD game that broke him to where he wasn't even able to manage the game effectively. Could have been the aftermath of the WRs reactions toward him. It could have been bad in the locker room and he came out scarred in Houston. Not a good sign, issues between WRs and QBs aren't totally uncommon but doesn't sound like he has control over the situation. Marrone may have intervened. Yuck. Yes I am speculating, but there were rumors out there before about this. SJ was shipped out, Ike Hilliard fired and Woods benched in the PS and all were rumored to have criticized his play.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been one of the larger question marks for me on design vs execution- where/how did this go wrong? Instructed not to run, or refusing? I find it hard to believe he refused but.....

My theory (just a hunch) is that they don't want him to get hurt, so once every 2 weeks they let him run and slide for 7 yards to keep the defense honest. It isn't working -- I'm not buying it and the opposing defense certainly isn't buying it either. His running doesn't strike fear into a defense like Kaepernick, who has to be accounted for every play or he could take it to the house.

I don't disagree that EJ earned his way to the bench, but I don't think that JW's all22 review should be the basis of any argument. Without reading what JW wrote, how exactly did he confirm what Manuel's read was on any play?

Further, how many great NFL QBs, much less young QBs could make even basic reads and throws in the face of constant pressure? I guess that we should all disregard how bad Tom Brady looked last night (and so far this season) because he has been under big pressure. Likewise, I remember Peyton Manning looking lost in the Super Bowl under pressure.

It isn't as cut and dried as many want to argue. Offense is a system that depends on:

1. QB makes fast/correct reads and makes accurate throws

2. OL provides time to read defense and get set to make throws, allows WR to run full routes and look for ball

3. WR run proper routes and make correct sight adjustments / catch passes that are within their catch radius - I never hear Calvin Johnson complain that he had to jump or lay-out for a pass.

4. Runs are productive enough to keep the defense off-balance.

5. Avoid penalties and negative plays to stay in manageable down and distance situations.

AGAIN FOR EMPHASIS: I am not arguing that EJ should still be starting at this point. However, to lay all the blame at his feet and pretend that all will be well now that the immortal Kyle Orton is starting is a joke - at least in my opinion.

totally hear you. But even if you judge EJ ONLY on what he did from clean pockets, he was really bad.

totally hear you. But even if you judge EJ ONLY on what he did from clean pockets, he was really bad.

I am not necessarily clamoring for the kid to stay in, it hasn't been pretty. But I think we are totally underestimating the beating this kid took all game. The OL should be ashamed. The guy was beaten up out there. Hit every 2 and change drop backs. There is a different between the OL not protecting well and what happened in Houston. When you are getting hit nearly every other drop back, the whole clean pocket thing barely exists as a thing. If Brady can't perform with the pressure from KC, hows a kid who played 14 games supposed to handle it. The idea he doesn't stand in the pocket and deliver the ball doesn't make sense to me. He got hit 16 times and sacked only twice with that kind of pressure. Isn't that nearly by definition standing in the pocket and delivering the ball. The kid took an AP like beating out there.

I generally like the all 22, this one not so much. We are going to say the big plays missed are Watkins on a crossing route where he was bumped off his route. Not taking a shot at Sammy deep with a Safety over the top (he doesn't come under Sammy until after EJ goes underneath, going to Woods when he is given a huge cushion underneath (granted he got worked), Then not looking for Sammy on a slant, who Joe B says broke off his called route, when the play was a screen to Fred, who said that the Texans gave the look they where looking for, for the play they wanted to run.

My guess is the other really errant throws that are mentioned in the first two pages, while terrible passes, involve the QB getting lit up like a Christmas tree.

Boy really proved a point, if those are the most glaring mistakes that JW can find with a clean pocket, so be it.

Edited by Mango

:sick: :sick: :sick:

Seeing all of those receivers running free down the field and watching the QB dump it off to the RB or short outlet every time makes me feel sick to my stomach. The Houston game shouldn't have been close. Just make the throws to the open guys running wild down field and the points would have been piling up.

:sick: :sick: :sick:

Seeing all of those receivers running free down the field and watching the QB dump it off to the RB or short outlet every time makes me feel sick to my stomach. The Houston game shouldn't have been close. Just make the throws to the open guys running wild down field and the points would have been piling up.

This is why you should be drooling to see what happens over the next few games. I know I am. I have no idea if Orton will be any good, but I'm confident we'll be seeing the ball in the hands of our playmakers more than ever. With the defense playing like it is, even 1 TD more per game could be enough to win two or three games we otherwise shouldn't.

Damn. That was brutal. He looks like David Carr out there, flinging stuff in the general direction of the receiver before he gets hit.

I figured it had to be bad for Marrone to pull him, but this is Akili Smith level bad.

yips. Gotta be. He was not nearly this bad last year.

This is why you should be drooling to see what happens over the next few games. I know I am. I have no idea if Orton will be any good, but I'm confident we'll be seeing the ball in the hands of our playmakers more than ever. With the defense playing like it is, even 1 TD more per game could be enough to win two or three games we otherwise shouldn't.

I think that Orton will be rusty. He needs a game under his belt after no camp; no preseason; and having played just one(1) game over the past year. After the one game, he will be an upgrade. Lets hope that it translates to wins.

The Yips are no joke. There was a great New Yorker article about them a few months back, check it out if you're interested. No clear cause or cure.

i actually have been meaning to start a thread about it but thought it would be ridiculed. That QB at Wisconsin had them. Crazy. Usually happens with golfers.