Orton + This Offensive Line

Mr. T

You'd better be right... 'Cuz if you're not, Kyle Orton is ska-rooed out there! Guy has a decent enough arm, but ZERO escapability.... When you combine that with Hackett's crap offense, and poorly coached receivers, It don't look pretty... -Guess we'll see.

Ortons not gonna hold onto the ball that long . the ball is gonna be out of ortons hands within 3 seconds and he will take his deep shots off play action . A lot of what defenses could do the past 4 weeks were because they could take advantage of EJ's inexperience and indecisiveness .

Im actually expecting the first play to be a playaction bomb to Sammy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep dreaming. It is going to be a hand off to CJ for 2 yards up the middle. And you know it. This coaching staff is not that aggressive. They expect every drive to take 20 plays to score instead of trying to score on every play. Those long sideline bombs on the first play of the game are some of my fondest memories of the early 90's era. Man that was fun.

Weren't we all talking about how talented a receiving corps we had coming into the season? Hopefully Orton will at least be able to get into our playmakers' hands.

And hopefully they hang on to the throws. That would be good.

I am hoping that Orton's style will get us to run more from under center, and then give us some legit play action opportunities.

Running out of the shotgun only has been killing us. Use the FB and pound the ball. Then do some bootlegs and roll outs. Orton should be fine with those plays.

It was more of an allusion to us not getting a great look at Fitz's deep ball in the absence of a genuine deep target, which he hardly had.

I asked to suggest that Orton need not throw a perfect deep ball, given the deep talent that exists on our roster.

Ahh I can go with that. I think Fitz might have had fun with this team. And I dont know what it is about Orton that just says scrub to me

The Bills are currently 1 - 0 in our division and in 1st place. The road to winning our division and going to the playoffs is definitely within reach. Winning against our division opponents doesn't look as tough as it did at the start of this season. NE just got whipped pretty bad by KC and are looking very beatable. The Jets are 1 - 3. Miami looks good at times but we just seem to have their number.

If Orton can come in and not lose games for us like Manuel just did, I'm all for it. I sure hope Kyle Williams and Bradham are good to go next week. This thing is far from over. Orton may not light the world on fire, but on this team, he doesn't have to. We don't need a QB to air it out deep either. Our skill players just need to be hit on target when they create some separation. EJ's problem IMHO is not accuracy. I think his problem is timing. From what I have seen, he is not delivering on time....sometimes throws before a play can unfold, sometimes he waits too long and tries to fire it in there too late. He is still good, but performing well against JJ Watt and even the stunts that SD gave us are things that NFL defenses are doing to disrupt a young QB. He needs more time to figure this stuff out.

Here's the problem. The coach doesn't know how long it's going to take for him to catch on. This team needs to win now and I am pretty sure Marone is doing what he thinks is best for the team. He's removing the biggest thing that is holding it back and trying something else. That may not be what is best for EJ, but it at least has a chance to be what is best for the team. Tough decision, but this is a tough sport. That's just the way it is. I know a lot of people think the coaching is at fault. Me personally, I have to give Marone some credit for pulling the trigger now while we still have a chance to make it to the playoffs and beyond. It takes guts and I admire that.

What is with all these people throwing themselves off of cliffs? And the media? What bunch of blow hards.

The Bills are currently 1 - 0 in our division and in 1st place. The road to winning our division and going to the playoffs is definitely within reach. Winning against our division opponents doesn't look as tough as it did at the start of this season. NE just got whipped pretty bad by KC and are looking very beatable. The Jets are 1 - 3. Miami looks good at times but we just seem to have their number.

If Orton can come in and not lose games for us like Manuel just did, I'm all for it. I sure hope Kyle Williams and Bradham are good to go next week. This thing is far from over. Orton may not light the world on fire, but on this team, he doesn't have to. We don't need a QB to air it out deep either. Our skill players just need to be hit on target when they create some separation. EJ's problem IMHO is not accuracy. I think his problem is timing. From what I have seen, he is not delivering on time....sometimes throws before a play can unfold, sometimes he waits too long and tries to fire it in there too late. He is still good, but performing well against JJ Watt and even the stunts that SD gave us are things that NFL defenses are doing to disrupt a young QB. He needs more time to figure this stuff out.

Here's the problem. The coach doesn't know how long it's going to take for him to catch on. This team needs to win now and I am pretty sure Marone is doing what he thinks is best for the team. He's removing the biggest thing that is holding it back and trying something else. That may not be what is best for EJ, but it at least has a chance to be what is best for the team. Tough decision, but this is a tough sport. That's just the way it is. I know a lot of people think the coaching is at fault. Me personally, I have to give Marone some credit for pulling the trigger now while we still have a chance to make it to the playoffs and beyond. It takes guts and I admire that.

What is with all these people throwing themselves off of cliffs? And the media? What bunch of blow hards.

What the Bills need is a professional QB.

Orton does not need to carry the load, he just has to distribute the ball wisely and efficiently....something EJ still has not figured out how to do. Let's hope he can.

Remember how bad the Bills Oline was when Edwards was the QB? Remember how much better they looked when Fitz took over?

With EJ calling signals the current Oline has also looked pretty bad at times. I have a strong sense the Oline might not look so bad with an experienced signal caller like Orton "in charge."

One of the biggest knocks on Trent Edwards, and EJ, is they are so damn indecisive. They both take too long to read the defense, and than panic with check downs.

For all his flaws (arm strength, inaccurate) Fitz was quick to make a decision and usually quickly recognized the hot read. His flaws however often keep him from getting the results desired.

My hope is Orton's experience and his ability to read defenses much faster than EJ has been to will cause the Oline to look alot better than they have the past few games.

Go Bills!!

This is some good clear thinking.

I have the feeling EJ had more trouble calling the line plays. When he blew though those two timeouts figuring out the coverage etc. had me taking notice.

After Jeremy Whites All 22 it looks like a lot of blown line calls.

But I think Ortons experience "should " improve the effectiveness of the front five. But only getting reps with the first team just recently ? might bring a bit of lag into them getting the cadence down and little nuances.

I will be pretty bummed about the season if he gets creamed against the Lions. and he might.

i think Watt would have killed any one back there Sunday.

YAC baby, YAC.

Yes please !

Ortons not gonna hold onto the ball that long . the ball is gonna be out of ortons hands within 3 seconds and he will take his deep shots off play action . A lot of what defenses could do the past 4 weeks were because they could take advantage of EJ's inexperience and indecisiveness .

Dammit ! cut the crap. we cant be giving away the whole game plan already !

I am hoping that Orton's style will get us to run more from under center, and then give us some legit play action opportunities.

Running out of the shotgun only has been killing us. Use the FB and pound the ball. Then do some bootlegs and roll outs. Orton should be fine with those plays.

Thank you.

let the fat kids just drive the D tackles downfield till the reach the safety

Edited by 3rdand12

This is some good clear thinking.

I have the feeling EJ had more trouble calling the line plays. When he blew though those two timeouts figuring out the coverage etc. had me taking notice.

After Jeremy Whites All 22 it looks like a lot of blown line calls.

But I think Ortons experience "should " improve the effectiveness of the front five. But only getting reps with the first team just recently ? might bring a bit of lag into them getting the cadence down and little nuances.

I will be pretty bummed about the season if he gets creamed against the Lions. and he might.

i think Watt would have killed any one back there Sunday.

Yes please !

You know, I have been wondering about that too. EJ is a young QB facing some pretty good defensive fronts. Wonder if he is being asked to do too much.

You know, I have been wondering about that too. EJ is a young QB facing some pretty good defensive fronts. Wonder if he is being asked to do too much.

well it appears so.

But i noticed some odd blocking schemes. the guys played the disciplne but the call was not right.

Now that can be a lot of stuff. But its not like they were getting beat inside as much as a breakdown up front. i swear i saw Cryil go left and Woods go right while EJ stood in the middle of what he wishes was a pocket while Watt stunted to the ab gap. ( it was a big wide hole ). thats communication

Edited by 3rdand12

I think the entire reason why EJ was benched was because Sammy wasn't getting the ball enough for whatever reasons. So yea, i think Watkins will see the ball almost every play from Orton.

I think the entire reason why EJ was benched was because Sammy wasn't getting the ball enough for whatever reasons. So yea, i think Watkins will see the ball almost every play from Orton.

Do you think Sammy will catch them ?

Because thats important too.

Ask EJ .

Edited by 3rdand12

+1

I love how so many people on here are talking about Orton's skills as if they are experts on Orton and know everything about him. Yeah, I saw him play some games too. Mostly in Denver and Chicago. He was less than impressive in both places. Don't recall seeing him play in Dallas.

Anyway....I wouldn't be counting all my chickens just yet if you know what I mean.

The guy hasn't played one game for the Bills yet and people are acting like he already saved the season. That is laughable.

I want to see the guy play first. If he smokes Detroit I will be impressed. But, I am not holding my breath. I am worried about every game from here on out unless Orton looks much better than what I remember. Here is to hoping that happens.

Wow, you don't have high standards do you? He has to smoke the #1 defense in his first start in order to impress you!

"Less than 3 seconds" and "taking deep shots" don't go together. I'm sure Orton will look to stretch the D but let's hope he gets more than the 3 seconds required to do so.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Do you think Sammy will catch them ?

Because thats important too.

Ask EJ .

Good point. reading JW's all 22 his take is the Bills OC is leaving a lot of plays on the field also. What made Sammy so great in college was all those screen passes. Exactly how many has he seen with the bills? Or bubble screens, end arounds, reverses, fake reverses, jet sweeps, fake jet sweeps. You know, aside from having Spiller run into the the backs of the lineman who can't block worth a Sh*t

Mike Williams stated that the offensive receivers were game planning for the Texans to be playing off man coverage when in fact they were playing press man, and Hackett didn't adjust quickly enough.

EJ benched to be followed by Marrone / Hackett benched

"Less than 3 seconds" and "taking deep shots" don't go together. I'm sure Orton will look to stretch the D but let's hope he gets more than the 3 seconds required to do so.

GO BILLS!!!

Depends what routes you are talking. You can run a 9 route on a 3 step drop. No holding the ball. Deep post takes time.

Good point. reading JW's all 22 his take is the Bills OC is leaving a lot of plays on the field also. What made Sammy so great in college was all those screen passes. Exactly how many has he seen with the bills? Or bubble screens, end arounds, reverses, fake reverses, jet sweeps, fake jet sweeps. You know, aside from having Spiller run into the the backs of the lineman who can't block worth a Sh*t

Mike Williams stated that the offensive receivers were game planning for the Texans to be playing off man coverage when in fact they were playing press man, and Hackett didn't adjust quickly enough.

EJ benched to be followed by Marrone / Hackett benched

Fact: if executed properly, the plays that were called would have won us the game.

Who cares what wasn't called?

To take it a step further: I'm glad Hacketts scheme is a winner without calling bread and butter plays. Save them.