Marrone, Hackett, Whaley, & Company Over their heads

rcatty

I can't think of one player that has progressed under our coaches. It's obvious that the offense is a mess. EJ, Sammy, and Woods going backwards. A fool could see that our coaches and front office are over their heads. Our OL is awful, and went from being stellar under Chan and Joe D to a sieve. Yesterday, CJ, and Freddie run for only, (around) 100 yards against a vulnerable run defense. Listening to Marrone in his post- game comments is a waste of time. We need Mr. Pegula to bring in a proven winner as overseer of this team. I am all in favor of Bill Polian, or someone with the stature, experience, and winning history of a Gil Brandt. Remember, Polian, was on record saying the Sammy trade was a mistake, because the team was too far away from being a finished product. So far, it looks like he was correct. You need a guy like Polian or Brandt being in charge. For those of you who say they are too old or you are living in the past, Polian has won everywhere he has been. He has built 3 different competitive teams! Terry go get'em.

I would not include Whaley with the staff and inexperienced OC. Whaley has made some great moves.

Sammy Watkins is a game changer difference maker who will be on this team for a decade.

Whaley said bye bye to Byrd and his 9 million demand and signed Aaron Williams for 5 yrs at 5 million

signed mike williams

signed spikes

signed corey graham

traded a bust shepperd for DE Jerry Hughes

I loved Bill Polian but this is a young mans' league as Bill was when given his opportunity in 1980s and 90s.

Whaley should stay big time - this roster has more talent up and down.

Make a switch to a competent veteran like Orton and lets see how this team does

Whaley made a huge mistake in the Sammy trade. It will criple the team. I agree that he has made many great moves, but the Sammy trade, and reliance on EJ are huge franchise wide mistakes.He also was asleep at the wheel with the backup QB situation. I would not fire Whaley. I would bring in a proven winner as a final say, like Polian or Brandt. Furthermore, it was obvious that Whaley was reaching in the trade to do everything he could to salvage EJ. He made a "second" mistake to cover his earlier "mistake". Whaley clearly has an eye for talent, but he is young, unproven, and could use an experienced winner as a second pair of eyes. Indeed, I think Polian and Whaley could be a superb combination. After that, you need an experienced NFL coach with a winning track record. That ain't Marrone or Hackett Jr.

Whaley made a huge mistake in the Sammy trade. It will criple the team. I agree that he has made many great moves, but the Sammy trade, and reliance on EJ are huge franchise wide mistakes.He also was asleep at the wheel with the backup QB situation. I would not fire Whaley. I would bring in a proven winner as a final say, like Polian or Brandt. Furthermore, it was obvious that Whaley was reaching in the trade to do everything he could to salvage EJ. He made a "second" mistake to cover his earlier "mistake". Whaley clearly has an eye for talent, but he is young, unproven, and could use an experienced winner as a second pair of eyes. Indeed, I think Polian and Whaley could be a superb combination. After that, you need an experienced NFL coach with a winning track record. That ain't Marrone or Hackett Jr.

Whaley or any GM for that matter today will except employment conditions with a burned out ESPN commentator having final say in positional moves. Who could blame him?

News - you can acquire a quality QB other than a top 10 pick.

News - having Sammy on the roster will attract a veteran FA Qb who would hit the market,

To use your boy Polians philosophy - 1st team all pros are very valuable and you do whats needed to acquire them (like he did for Corny Bennett) - the Bills are a quality veteran QB away from making an impact and maybe a G or T drafted in 2nd 3rd rds

The only way I'd consider hiring Polian is that under no circumstances will we hire your son. That likely would end all conversations with him.

People fault Marrone for hiring an alleged friend though often coaching frends are friends they've coached with whom they felt were good coaches. Hiring your son is pure nepotism and was terrible. Seemed he learned all of Dads bad habits, but very few of his good ones.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Whaley giving up our first next year might be the nail in the coffin because Pegula will see that as crippling and hampering their new ownership.

If they have a losing record this year, the Manuel failure and the Watkins pick will show MAJOR misjudgement because he said in making that trade he expects the pick to be a low 1st and making the playoffs.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I agree. Whaley has done a really good job. IMO this is the best squad the bills have put on the field in arguably the last 15 years. We have a plethora of talent and I think are one of the more talented teams in the NFL top to bottom. A lot of that has to do with what Whaley has done. I do think the coaches are bums with the exception of Shwartz (but I dont see him staying if a new coaching staff comes in). I'm not sure Marrone needs to go nor Hackett. As much as we whip on Hackett, he has made the offense a threat. We just don't have the QB to move it. However, if Marrone sticks with EJ too long over Orton, he could end up losing his job. Keep in mind they are in a win now mode and I think Marrone realizes if EJ keeps playing this way they will have to move on

I would not include Whaley with the staff and inexperienced OC. Whaley has made some great moves.

Sammy Watkins is a game changer difference maker who will be on this team for a decade.

Whaley said bye bye to Byrd and his 9 million demand and signed Aaron Williams for 5 yrs at 5 million

signed mike williams

signed spikes

signed corey graham

traded a bust shepperd for DE Jerry Hughes

I loved Bill Polian but this is a young mans' league as Bill was when given his opportunity in 1980s and 90s.

Whaley should stay big time - this roster has more talent up and down.

Make a switch to a competent veteran like Orton and lets see how this team does

Agreed...100%. The moves that Whaley made were solid. I wasn't exactly thrilled with giving up the first rounder, but this is the splash that he wanted to make.

The problem isn't the OL (even though they were badly outplayed yesterday) or the defense. EJ and the play-calling are killing us right now. You couldn't find a better example of how important a QB is than watching yesterday's game. The defense gave up 13 points - that should easily have won the game with average QB play.

I'm still willing to give EJ a chance, but Marrone would be wise to sit him for the next game or two. Just having Orton watch from the sidelines and give EJ advice won't help enough. Bench EJ for a game and give him a wake-up call.

I can't think of one player that has progressed under our coaches. It's obvious that the offense is a mess. EJ, Sammy, and Woods going backwards. A fool could see that our coaches and front office are over their heads. Our OL is awful, and went from being stellar under Chan and Joe D to a sieve. Yesterday, CJ, and Freddie run for only, (around) 100 yards against a vulnerable run defense. Listening to Marrone in his post- game comments is a waste of time. We need Mr. Pegula to bring in a proven winner as overseer of this team. I am all in favor of Bill Polian, or someone with the stature, experience, and winning history of a Gil Brandt. Remember, Polian, was on record saying the Sammy trade was a mistake, because the team was too far away from being a finished product. So far, it looks like he was correct. You need a guy like Polian or Brandt being in charge. For those of you who say they are too old or you are living in the past, Polian has won everywhere he has been. He has built 3 different competitive teams! Terry go get'em.

You mean the Bill Polian Colts who had Peyton Manning and no one else. Those same Colts that lost the QB and went 1-15. The NFL Past Bill Polian by. Whaley is not in over his head. He is the lone bright spot.

You may not like him, but Polian is NOT the answer.

The buck stops at Whaley.

- He hired Marrone and during that interview, I am sure Marrone's potential assistants were discussed.

- Gave up a #1 for Sammy which if the Bills have a 7-9 record or worse could be disastrous for him with new ownership coming in.

- Drafted Manuel at a point when most observers felt was a big reach. 1-1/2 years later, it appears to be a pick that was wasted.

- All this talk of the Bills being the best team on paper is just that. The OL has been a trainwreck and continues to be one. Don't know if it is coaching schemes or player talent, but the pass blocking has been way below average. Is it really that had to find above average OG's?

- I'm not sure how much input Whaley has in terms of the decision of Orton vs. Manuel, but this is the one that could determine the fate of Whaley and the entire coaching staff. Stick with Manuel too long, let the season fall apart, and you will probably all be gone come next spring. Get Orton in there now, and he might just save all their jobs.

- He hired Marrone and during that interview, I am sure Marrone's potential assistants were discussed.

- Gave up a #1 for Sammy which if the Bills have a 7-9 record or worse could be disastrous for him with new ownership coming in.

- Drafted Manuel at a point when most observers felt was a big reach. 1-1/2 years later, it appears to be a pick that was wasted.

- All this talk of the Bills being the best team on paper is just that. The OL has been a trainwreck and continues to be one. Don't know if it is coaching schemes or player talent, but the pass blocking has been way below average. Is it really that had to find above average OG's?

- I'm not sure how much input Whaley has in terms of the decision of Orton vs. Manuel, but this is the one that could determine the fate of Whaley and the entire coaching staff. Stick with Manuel too long, let the season fall apart, and you will probably all be gone come next spring. Get Orton in there now, and he might just save all their jobs.

How can people criticize this Watkins trade? He is an elite WR. I do they trade every time.

Spikes was a bust FA signing at MLB. EJ a bust at QB. Watkins for the 9th pick and next year's #1? Joke. Letting Byrd, Levitre dangle and then go for nothing? Joke. Cyrus Kouandjio in the 2nd round? Might has well have picked Taro Tsujimoto.

While there have been a few modest hits, the huge misses under Whaley's GM watch have been epic. The idea he somehow has retooled the Bills into a juggernaut this close to becoming Super Bowl contenders is ridiculous. The Bills have a strong DL, but LB is thin and suspect, the secondary even thinner and more suspect, the OL stinks and the QB stinks. We have a solid stable of RBs, but that is probably the easiest position in football to retool. WR seems good on paper, but who the F knows without a QB?

In other words, the myth of Whaley's shining star exists solely on Bills message boards. We're no closer to being a top playoff contender than we were 5 years ago.

That said, this season is more about a coronation of Pegula buying the team and securing them in Buffalo. If they stumble to another 6-10 season who cares. Same with next year, the year of no 1st round pick that would likely be another Top 10 choice. Hopefully, by 2016 Pegula has cleaned house and installed a solid executive/management team to build for the future.

The pair of calls against mckelvin covering Johnson were questionable too. The first one Johnson shoved mckelvin yet they flagged mckelvin. The 2nd was even worse when within 5 yard from scrimmage mckelvin bumped him which is legal, and Johnson did some phoney arm flapping thing. he basically flopped to draw a penalty. There's no way mckelvin who gives up 7 inches and 60 pounds could throw Johnson around like that. Sickening because it nullified Mario's sack

How can people criticize this Watkins trade? He is an elite WR. I do they trade every time.

- He gave up next years #1 pick and if this thing continues to implode, it could be a top 10 pick.

- You have no QB to get the ball to the WR's, so it doesn't matter how elite you are. Fix the QB problem, and then we will see if Watkins is really an elite WR.

Marrone and Hackett must go. In a game where the Bills never trailed by more than 7 points, and held a lead for over half the game, they passed 67% of the time and ran 33% of the time, AGAINST ONE OF THE WORST RUN DEFENSES AND THE BEST PASS RUSHER IN FOOTBALL!!!! HOW #$%ING STUPID IS THAT???? These guys are starting to look a lot like Mauron and Gailey, abandoning the run when it's working, and putting the game in the hands of a QB who can't win. Unbelievable. GIVE THE BALL TO FRED JACKSON, AND WE WIN THE GAME!! AARRGGHHH!!!!!

Whaley can stay. He put together the talent that is giving us a playoff-caliber defense, and an offense that could get us there if we had a QB. But all the personnel in the world can't overcome a dumbass game plan and stupider play calling.

Going pass happy with Manuel was a huge mistake and it was made even though Manuel has never shown he could carry the day. He is far more inaccurate than Fritz and that's saying a lot. There was one player I specifically watched a bit the past couple of games and that was Pears. In no way has he been an improvement over Urbick. He will get any QB killed. He was an average RT....but has been a horrible guard. Wood our center has not looked good lately either. He needs to step it up as well.

Edited by Spiderweb