inexcusable loss today

Big Turk

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? You think Orton is good enough to win 8 or 9 games in the next 12? A career 35-35 record guy? Assuming Orton can do that, what are our chances of winning a playoff game, likely a road game at Indy or New England, San Diego, Denver, Pittsburgh or Baltimore?

This season isn't about Orton, never was never will be.

As if the teams he was on had nothing to do with that record?

Why? You think Orton is good enough to win 8 or 9 games in the next 12? A career 35-35 record guy? Assuming Orton can do that, what are our chances of winning a playoff game, likely a road game at Indy or New England, San Diego, Denver, Pittsburgh or Baltimore?

This is the voice of reason. I think everyone knows that. But the poor play today pushes all of us to desperate thoughts.

Let's just hope that EJ starts getting better and more consistent.

Just like every QB, the league has scouted him now and have figured out he struggles against the blitz. He doesn't like getting hit a lot which is why Watt got two early penalties for hitting him at the knees. That was the plan for Houston, to rattle him. It worked...

He's going to see the blitz until he shows he can beat it. Screens, draws and quick slants will hold it off but not beat it. The best way is to beat it deep down the sidelines with go routes or back shoulder throws. Neither of these throws he has shown to be accurate. I'd say they better spend the week practicing these because the Lions can bring it.

He had his most disappointing game of his career today. He missed chances to put the game away in the 2nd qtr, made a costly mistake on Watt pick 6 and his accuracy issues caused the offense to be totally ineffective for the entire second half. Let's hope the Bills rally around him this week and come out next week to get a surprising win.

Go Bills!

We should have won this game by at least 14 points. The decisions made by our Quarterback are very puzzling. I don't think he's got quarterback smarts.

The lack of a penalty on the last play was total nonsense. That guy was leaning on Woods for about 18 yards and wedged him off his route. Minimum 5 yards and a first down.

Allowing QB's to throw hot air balloons into coverage and awarding them first downs via penalty at the end of the game is a very bad look. Corey Graham interfered similarly at the end of regulation in the opener and also no flag. The NFL has always tucked the flags late in games. See the SF/Balt Super Bowl. That's why it was such an outrage back in 1998 when the refs gave the Pats that win in Foxboro on a Hail Mary PI call.

This is the voice of reason. I think everyone knows that. But the poor play today pushes all of us to desperate thoughts.

Let's just hope that EJ starts getting better and more consistent.

I can't watch yet another performance like that so I will be DVR'ing that Detroit game. If I can't watch it I don't know how Marrone can. There really isn't time for this staff to give EJ 30 starts. He's a mess right now. Maybe 3-4 years holding a clipboard and working on his mechanics and mental approach and he will be able to step back into an NFL lineup but right now he's dying out there. It's not like he's just throwing too many interceptions or the kind of mistakes you expect from a young QB.....he literally can't throw a football. It's almost so bad that you have to wonder if he's getting the yips. I've always felt that giving him actual physical competion would be good because it would help prevent him from over-thinking the task at hand.

Time for Orton. I'd rather it be sooner than later. Fire Marrone if EJ starts in Detroit.

I understand the frustration with Manuel, believe me I do. However, Manuel still is a bit of an unknown who might have upside. Orton has proven to be a journeyman QB and isn't suddenly going to become a good enough QB to get this team to the playoffs and make a serious run.

If this team wanted a veteran who had already reached his ceiling who *might* have been good enough to get the team to the playoffs, then they should have traded for Alex Smith when he was available.

Face it, outstanding QBs are hard to find. Even those drafted high in the first round are very hit or miss. Might as well ride with the guy (Manuel) who obviously has physical talent (size, speed, strength, and arm strength) and a good work-ethic to see if he can pull it together. You know for sure what you have with Orton and it isn't good enough in the long-run to get the team past the first round of the playoffs - and that is a BIG if that they could even get that far. Remember, even with Orton in, you still have a very porous OL, a bunch of very inexperienced WRs, an OK TE and an Offensive Coordinator who is still trying to find his way in the NFL.

Did anybody actually think this year the Bills would get into the playoffs? We all saw EJ last year and in preseason to know that he is a project. The idea that the defense and the running game would be good enough this season to carry a team with an unproven/raw/project QB is just not realistic. Should EJ be given the rest of the season to see if he will improve? Should they put Orton in even though he is not the QB of the future for this team? What is the best plan for this season, given that the chances that this team will make it into the playoffs is somewhere between slim and none?

I can't watch yet another performance like that so I will be DVR'ing that Detroit game. If I can't watch it I don't know how Marrone can. There really isn't time for this staff to give EJ 30 starts. He's a mess right now. Maybe 3-4 years holding a clipboard and working on his mechanics and mental approach and he will be able to step back into an NFL lineup but right now he's dying out there. It's not like he's just throwing too many interceptions or the kind of mistakes you expect from a young QB.....he literally can't throw a football. It's almost so bad that you have to wonder if he's getting the yips. I've always felt that giving him actual physical competion would be good because it would help prevent him from over-thinking the task at hand.

I hear ya. I can live with the mental mistakes. I can't live with being unable to throw a simple curl or out. The accuracy issues have reached points of epic panic. And, here, we all thought the reason we got rid of Fitz was to get a young gun who could "make all the throws."

But, Orton can't be the answer, at least long term. It's a really bad dilemma.

I understand the frustration with Manuel, believe me I do. However, Manuel still is a bit of an unknown who might have upside. Orton has proven to be a journeyman QB and isn't suddenly going to become a good enough QB to get this team to the playoffs and make a serious run.

If this team wanted a veteran who had already reached his ceiling who *might* have been good enough to get the team to the playoffs, then they should have traded for Alex Smith when he was available.

Face it, outstanding QBs are hard to find. Even those drafted high in the first round are very hit or miss. Might as well ride with the guy (Manuel) who obviously has physical talent (size, speed, strength, and arm strength) and a good work-ethic to see if he can pull it together. You know for sure what you have with Orton and it isn't good enough in the long-run to get the team past the first round of the playoffs - and that is a BIG if that they could even get that far. Remember, even with Orton in, you still have a very porous OL, a bunch of very inexperienced WRs, an OK TE and an Offensive Coordinator who is still trying to find his way in the NFL.

Or maybe provide him with a game plan that doesn't require him to drop back to pass 44 times with a shaky line, and facing the Tasmanian Devil of DE's in the league. Particularly when the Texan's D gave up nearly 200 yards rushing to a pretty bad Giants team last week.

I pin this one on the Offensive coaches. . . . Poor plan poorly executed. . . .

Get the team to the playoffs? Eh, maybe. But still get them to 8-9 wins when they are trending down and have an established recent history of going on long mid-season and late season losing streaks....and in the process raising the performance level of the rest of the roster by at least being competent.....yeah he should be able to do that given this much talent and that would be worth something organizationally at this point. Maybe next offseason an actual QB will become available in FA or via trade and he won't have to come into a Bills team that is coming off a demoralizing 6-7 win season. Think Denver...except this time instead of Tebow replacing Orton, Orton could be that guy that helps build a base from which to grow from.

Just like every QB, the league has scouted him now and have figured out he struggles against the blitz. He doesn't like getting hit a lot which is why Watt got two early penalties for hitting him at the knees. That was the plan for Houston, to rattle him. It worked...

He's going to see the blitz until he shows he can beat it. Screens, draws and quick slants will hold it off but not beat it. The best way is to beat it deep down the sidelines with go routes or back shoulder throws. Neither of these throws he has shown to be accurate. I'd say they better spend the week practicing these because the Lions can bring it.

He had his most disappointing game of his career today. He missed chances to put the game away in the 2nd qtr, made a costly mistake on Watt pick 6 and his accuracy issues caused the offense to be totally ineffective for the entire second half. Let's hope the Bills rally around him this week and come out next week to get a surprising win.

Go Bills!

Let's hope so, but I'm pretty sure the players are done with him and will probably suck until orton comes in...then I predict a miraculous improvement. It's really strange how players play better when someone comes in to provide a spark...kind of like how everyone played much better (for a little while) when trent got the boot. Remember how terrible they all were for trent. EJ is a trent clone...except I think trent was more accurate and tougher...lol.

I hear ya. I can live with the mental mistakes. I can't live with being unable to throw a simple curl or out. The accuracy issues have reached points of epic panic. And, here, we all thought the reason we got rid of Fitz was to get a young gun who could "make all the throws."

But, Orton can't be the answer, at least long term. It's a really bad dilemma.

Agreed. Like I heard a radio personality say: "If Kyle Orton is the answer, then what the hell is the question?"

Who knows if Orton is good enough to win 8-9 by himself but I know that he wont be the reason we lose them

Orton s 21-12 with the bears with a strong defense and running game

first year in Denver he went 9-7 and second year 3-10 getting hurt but never having the defense or running game he had in chicago

When he was waived by Denver he was picked up off waivers by the Chiefs in a situation similar to this one and immediately went 2-1 and getting the chiefs a missed fg away from the playoffs

The Chiefs picked up Orton off waivers because cassell was hurt and they had a guy named Palko starting who couldnt throw it in the ocean despite having weapons ,a winning game and a good defense .

Orton and the Chiefs were the team that gave the undefeated Packers their lone loss in the regular season . Who wouldve thought you can pick a guy up off waivers and he can have a immediate impact on your team ?

In the NFL its not always about needing flash its about needing competency at the position. and now that we see what is hurting us it would be foolish to waste a season of solid defense and running games based off fears of the what may happen down the line . We have not been to the playoffs in 14 seasons and your argument about doing something that could possibly get us there is that we might lose ?

That's 2 weeks in a row the D held our opponents to very few rushing yards and a terrible rushing average. Two important AFC games. argh!! what a waste. You don't see NFL teams losing that often when they stuff the opponents running game like that, especially this week. Maybe the D didn't completely shut down SD and HOU but they gave the O a ton of possessions. The O has failed. All those speedy play-makers and the 1st round QB and they failed.

If you are frustrated now, let Orton start. I sat through the Purdue years....

+1. Same with the Bears. I know the backup is "always better" than the starter, but Orton lost his job to Tim effin Tebow and he blows.

Its time to bench EJ... Even the worse qb's in the league look like they can throw the ball and process things quicker than EJ.

I'm all for Orton starting next week and getting him in there before the season is over... Luckily Pegula takes over next month.

Pegula won't do anything drastic til after the season. I think he learned from his experience with the Sabres. After the season is a different story.