EJs accuracy

JESSEFEFFER

Well EJ did throw 9 out of 10 footballs through a tire at a range of 10 feet. Or something like that. At the combine.

I believe it was a "record" at the time.

This is why the inaccuracy stuff is surprising.

This is going to sound weird, but I was expecting a EJ to play like Geno Smith is playing now. Looking great with mechanics, physical tools,etc, but making mental errors that would hopefully improve with experience.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why the inaccuracy stuff is surprising.

This is going to sound weird, but I was expecting a EJ to play like Geno Smith is playing now. Looking great with mechanics, physical tools,etc, but making mental errors that would hopefully improve with experience.

If only

May I ask how old you are? How much football have you watched? Were you old enough to be an adult when Jim Kelly played for the Bills, for example?

You are entitled to your opinion. See my comments in post # 87 in this thread.

The old I'm older thus smarter than you argument. How baggish. I'm most likely older than you and don't agree with any of your assessments.

Oh good lord. Do you mean to suggest that Jim Kelly is not the ideal QB for any NFL team, ever, b/c the team he played on lost four Superbowls? You do realize those games are complex affairs with a multitude of factors playing into their outcome, right?

I am guessing you are young. Take my word for it. The Bills would be well served to have Jim Kelly play QB on this team again, in his prime.

That would not be our problem. And keep in mind that Jim Kelly most certainly had his faults. He was not perfect.

Off the top of my head, I would say his 2 greatest weaknesses were that his supreme self confidence at times led to forcing throws int coverage and resulting interceptions. Also, he was as mobile as a brick wall.

I'd still take Jimbo tomorrow, or a QB who was exactly like him in every possible way.

But I would like to stress that my comments about EJ are about EJ. They are not about Jim Kelly.

I was at all four of those Superbowls. I lived through the era. I was pointing out that you said the Bills would not win a Superbowl until it had another Jim Kelly type player. Whether I disagree is irrelevant. The point is they did not win with THE Jim Kelly precisely for the reasons you so eloquently point out that it is a team game with many variables. I am simply pointing out that while you are adamant that A JK type is required and EJ is not it, I would suggest that you revisit the statement that JK is required. It is a nice to have and the opposite conclusion that the Bills can't win without that type of player is also questionable. Anecdotal evidence to the contrary exists.

In other words, the Bills have their softest schedule in recent memory. As long as EJ doesn't stink, the playoffs are a virtual guarantee. That's not complicated, either.

What about last year? A lot of 8-8ers on that schedule. As well as Tampa and Jacksonville.

Would you like to bet some serious money that EJ never turns into anything close to Tom Brady at the NFL level?

I didn't think so.

So your standard of quality for any past, current, or future Bills QB is being "close to a generational talent who is arguably the best quarterback of all time"?

Yeah...

I think you'll find yourself waiting a good, long while.

Um, ok?

Their division appears to be exceptionally weak this season, at least so far.

Except for Denver and perhaps N.E., I don't see any powerhouses the rest of the year. Granted, we can't be sure who might emerge.

This is the best overall squad Buffalo has had in a decade, in my opinion. The team has been constructed to help EJ succeed this season at the expense of the future. It's on him now.

The operative words there are "right now". The season isn't 3 games long. Surely you've noticed that over time with the Bills.

Regarding your earlier question: the current level of winning at a 66% pace is not sustainable b/c our schedule is going to get a LOT harder down the line, and a team of San Diego's caliber outclassed us.

Combined those 2 factors with the emerging reality that Miami in particular is going to be horrible this year and we don't have a ton to stand on at the moment. The win in Chicago remains a strong point, and something to proud of, for sure.

A team of San Diego's caliber? They may end up being the best team we face all season. It wasn't a fluke when, as a wild card qualifier, they went to Cinci and kicked the utter snot out of them and then gave Denver all they could handle on the road a week later.

GO BILLS!!!

A team of San Diego's caliber? They may end up being the best team we face all season. It wasn't a fluke when, as a wild card qualifier, they went to Cinci and kicked the utter snot out of them and then gave Denver all they could handle on the road a week later.

GO BILLS!!!

They also beat Denver last year. And Seattle this year. Rivers may be a top 5 QB in 2014.

Their division appears to be exceptionally weak this season, at least so far.

Except for Denver and perhaps N.E., I don't see any powerhouses the rest of the year. Granted, we can't be sure who might emerge.

This is the best overall squad Buffalo has had in a decade, in my opinion. The team has been constructed to help EJ succeed this season at the expense of the future. It's on him now.

Ah, yes, that...agreed

I'd bet the farm that you were looking at a mirror when you typed this.

I will take that bet !

Do you really have a farm ?

I often /always type while admiring myself in the mirrors.

I mean who doesn't right ? .

Not sure its just coaching. I think people get hung up on last years comments by coach of slowing it down and shrinking the playbook.

This year does not look like last year to me. May not be great shakes , but EJ has a lot more opportunity in front of him after the snap.

if he can execute .

Go Bills

EJ is more accurate than Matt Cassel.

http://www.fieldgull...-russell-wilson

I thought Cassel was out for the season ?

:bag:

This is news to me. When we drafted him, I thought we were getting a guy who was accurate and had a big arm. If that's wrong, then we should have kept fitz, whose biggest shortcoming seemed to be accuracy.

and a big arm dont forget JR ! Fitz was/is a limited passer. That why defenses started to load up on the line and press cover.

If EJ doens't wing a couple succesfully we could see that trend again.

BTW. Last weekend was not the best time to do that though ( The Ralph looked pretty breezy with 15 mph winds swirling ).

and a big arm dont forget JR ! Fitz was/is a limited passer. That why defenses started to load up on the line and press cover.

If EJ doens't wing a couple succesfully we could see that trend again.

BTW. Last weekend was not the best time to do that though ( The Ralph looked pretty breezy with 15 mph winds swirling ).

One would probably argue that Fitz didn't have the arm so he never tried to make that play. EJ does have the arm but either he doesn't want to or the coaching staff doesn't want him to try it as much as we would like.

I think he can and will try more this week then we've see before. Just a hunch based on last game.

One would probably argue that Fitz didn't have the arm so he never tried to make that play. EJ does have the arm but either he doesn't want to or the coaching staff doesn't want him to try it as much as we would like.

I think he can and will try more this week then we've see before. Just a hunch based on last game.

They gotta open another page in the book.

They try to get him confident and comfortable first of course. But if Bills can get some field position and see a weakness he has to chuck it.

This week they probably have been practicing "rub " plays though .

I dont know what kind of arm EJ has yet. kinda drives you crazy . So good and so not good. aaarghh

They gotta open another page in the book.

They try to get him confident and comfortable first of course. But if Bills can get some field position and see a weakness he has to chuck it.

This week they probably have been practicing "rub " plays though .

I dont know what kind of arm EJ has yet. kinda drives you crazy . So good and so not good. aaarghh

I think he has the arm for all the throws and the accuracy even though that is what has been called his biggest problem. I think it's the timing that has been the issue. There have been plays were his accuracy was off being a ball throw high and his receiver had to bail him out but on those same routes, he was throwing the ball where his receiver was expected to be. If that's not accuracy I'm not sure what it is, other than dumb luck.

He has shown that the deep ball is better. He's not throwing it 5 yards OOB but either overthrowing his receiver or hitting them on the run (I prefer anything that's not underthrown or wide).

I think he has the arm for all the throws and the accuracy even though that is what has been called his biggest problem. I think it's the timing that has been the issue. There have been plays were his accuracy was off being a ball throw high and his receiver had to bail him out but on those same routes, he was throwing the ball where his receiver was expected to be. If that's not accuracy I'm not sure what it is, other than dumb luck.

He has shown that the deep ball is better. He's not throwing it 5 yards OOB but either overthrowing his receiver or hitting them on the run (I prefer anything that's not underthrown or wide).

The truth is, discounting the Chargers game ( wets pants ? ) he has shown improvement over last year with his accuracy. Anyone who questions that needs to review. But his mental state when throwing and some of his deliveries have been poor.

Its just too soon. I would say midseason we address accuracy again .

My worry is more his ablity to process with patience (3.5secs ) and move in the pocket . If he can get that sorted the rest might well take care of itself.

He has plenty of arm imo

The truth is, discounting the Chargers game ( wets pants ? ) he has shown improvement over last year with his accuracy. Anyone who questions that needs to review. But his mental state when throwing and some of his deliveries have been poor.

Its just too soon. I would say midseason we address accuracy again .

My worry is more his ablity to process with patience (3.5secs ) and move in the pocket . If he can get that sorted the rest might well take care of itself.

He has plenty of arm imo

I'm not saying anything the contrary. I think he can do it also. Just pointing out what people tend to see that can't be fixed.