EJs accuracy

JESSEFEFFER

Bill Walsh was wrong about Trent Edwards. Ron Jaworski has been wrong about lots of QBs. So has Mel Kiper.

Even the people who know pro football far better than us are often wrong about the future success of young QBs.

I think the problem is no college QB is NFL ready. They all need to learn and improve. And it's hard to say who will improve and who won't. Or how fast they'll improve. Jim Plunkett didn't become a good NFL QB until his 30s.

And, yes, some QBs do improve their accuracy, their decision making, their poise, etc. EJ has no flaw that some other QB didn't once also possess - and then fix.

I'm not predicting success for EJ. I'm not predicting failure.

But I do hope for success, and hope that success comes faster than Plunkett's.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the coaches worked with EJ all summer to synch up his footwork with his receivers' routes.. whether it was a long stride drop from under center, or a short stride drop from the shotgun - it was the means to develop a rhythm in delivering the ball. in season, there probably isn't enough time to continue reinforcing his fundamentals, but on game day, the coaches have to recognize when their QB's timing has been upset - whether it be the coverage on the called timing routes, a fierce pass rush, the perception of a pass rush due to inaccurate pre-snap reads, or all of the above. they need to have a plan when this happens.. some set of plays they can call to bring EJ and the receivers back in synch. I don't see EJ becoming a consistently accurate passer - that's a gift from the football gods - but he has talent, and will have his moments. he keeps his eyes downfield, and can dismiss non-threatening activity in and around the pocket. he does have a tendency to fall back into a flat-footed posture after deciding he can't execute his first or second option. this is when he needs his 'go to' plays - a series of designed dropbacks and/or rollouts that accompany some well-timed routes he can hit blind-folded.

defenses earn their money trying to frustrate quarterbacks. the Charger's definitely earned their's last week, but as disappointed i was with EJ's perceived regression - i was equally disappointed by the staff's inability to get him comfortable enough to compete.

Bill Walsh was wrong about Trent Edwards. Ron Jaworski has been wrong about lots of QBs. So has Mel Kiper.

Even the people who know pro football far better than us are often wrong about the future success of young QBs.

I think the problem is no college QB is NFL ready. They all need to learn and improve. And it's hard to say who will improve and who won't. Or how fast they'll improve. Jim Plunkett didn't become a good NFL QB until his 30s.

And, yes, some QBs do improve their accuracy, their decision making, their poise, etc. EJ has no flaw that some other QB didn't once also possess - and then fix.

I'm not predicting success for EJ. I'm not predicting failure.

But I do hope for success, and hope that success comes faster than Plunkett's.

Amazing that history says QBs need develomenatl time excepting the rare case and even then ?

But such a shortage of Franchise Faces that rookie QBs are thrown into the fire with teams lives depending on their success . carzy really

the coaches worked with EJ all summer to synch up his footwork with his receivers' routes.. whether it was a long stride drop from under center, or a short stride drop from the shotgun - it was the means to develop a rhythm in delivering the ball. in season, there probably isn't enough time to continue reinforcing his fundamentals, but on game day, the coaches have to recognize when their QB's timing has been upset - whether it be the coverage on the called timing routes, a fierce pass rush, the perception of a pass rush due to inaccurate pre-snap reads, or all of the above. they need to have a plan when this happens.. some set of plays they can call to bring EJ and the receivers back in synch. I don't see EJ becoming a consistently accurate passer - that's a gift from the football gods - but he has talent, and will have his moments. he keeps his eyes downfield, and can dismiss non-threatening activity in and around the pocket. he does have a tendency to fall back into a flat-footed posture after deciding he can't execute his first or second option. this is when he needs his 'go to' plays - a series of designed dropbacks and/or rollouts that accompany some well-timed routes he can hit blind-folded.

defenses earn their money trying to frustrate quarterbacks. the Charger's definitely earned their's last week, but as disappointed i was with EJ's perceived regression - i was equally disappointed by the staff's inability to get him comfortable enough to compete.

Excellent post

EJ does have and will always have accuracy problems. There is no fixing it. He can be a game manager and have special moments but he will NEVER BE A TOP 10 QB

I support EJ fully and I won't belittle him or post angry rants against him.... but he will always struggle with accuracy.

Accuracy is not teachable, you have it or you don't. It can be refined but not taught

If, on draft day 2013, I told you the Bills first round QB would never be more than a game manager, would you be satisfied with the selection?

And more importantly, if fans can see that EJ's inaccuracy is so obvious, then why couldn't the current front office see that and pass? Or were they backed into a corner because the GM responsible for refusing to draft a QB in 2011-12 meant they had to take one?

When I think about the QB's Buffalo's since 2006; Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick, and Manuel, it tells me they have no idea how to evaluate QB talent. At this point they need to get lucky because they don't seem to know how to find one. Whiffing on 2 1st rounders, a 3rd, and handing a big contract to Fitz point that way.

The QB played well enough to win; I was there.

And yes, saying that a 2-1 record is forbodeing in any way is pessimistic. Calling it realism is being unwilling to admit it.

The attitude you maintain while doing so is inconsequential.

Going 7 of 21 for 49 yards on passes not to RB's is good enough? Perhaps if this is the NFL in the 1930s.

The 2-1 record is misleading. Do you honestly believe future opponents don't know how to handle a Bills offense with EJ? And how does that bode for their future?

Going 7 of 21 for 49 yards on passes not to RB's is good enough? Perhaps if this is the NFL in the 1930s.

The 2-1 record is misleading. Do you honestly believe future opponents don't know how to handle a Bills offense with EJ? And how does that bode for their future?

The conversation was in regard to the Miami game, so the 7/21 stat is irrelevant.

As for the future, it's one heck of a leap to assume that Buffalo--or EJ specifically--won't/can't adjust.

Please post more often.

The conversation was in regard to the Miami game, so the 7/21 stat is irrelevant.

As for the future, it's one heck of a leap to assume that Buffalo--or EJ specifically--won't/can't adjust.

Miami was 2 weeks ago. What value is there to highlighting the good if you're not going to discuss the bad?

And isn't it reasonable to say that metrics can help provide a view to whether or not the QB can play? Throw in the All-22 analysis which is a better visual, and you've got evidence something's wrong with the QB despite having offensive skill players said to be better than they've had.

Miami was 2 weeks ago. What value is there to highlighting the good if you're not going to discuss the bad?

And isn't it reasonable to say that metrics can help provide a view to whether or not the QB can play? Throw in the All-22 analysis which is a better visual, and you've got evidence something's wrong with the QB despite having offensive skill players said to be better than they've had.

What value is there highlighting the bad, if you won't acknowledge the good. NOTE: You shouldn't call someone out for something that you do all the time. Bandit is one of the more level headed posters on this subject that I've seen. He can see the good and bad in EJ and knows it's too early to form a final conclusion. You not so much.

I was at all four of those Superbowls. I lived through the era. I was pointing out that you said the Bills would not win a Superbowl until it had another Jim Kelly type player. Whether I disagree is irrelevant. The point is they did not win with THE Jim Kelly precisely for the reasons you so eloquently point out that it is a team game with many variables. I am simply pointing out that while you are adamant that A JK type is required and EJ is not it, I would suggest that you revisit the statement that JK is required. It is a nice to have and the opposite conclusion that the Bills can't win without that type of player is also questionable. Anecdotal evidence to the contrary exists.

While a "Jim Kelly" type QB may not guarantee a Superbowl victory, I would argue you can't win a Superbowl without elite talent at the QB position.

Ironically, the team that won last year may be a glaring exception. Why? B/C they arguably have the greatest defense of all time, perhaps with the exception of the 1985 Chicago Bears.

If you want to win a Superbowl with a middling talent like EJ, you better get a much, much better defense than we currently have now.

Condescension is not a strong persuasive technique. Logic works much better IMO.

Buffalo's current record is 2-1, 66.66666666666666666666% wins. You are saying that we cannot use that record or rate of winning to predict their future success.

If you are saying that you are basing their future success on the records of teams they're facing in the future, then please show me what you mean.

When I look at it, I see:

2 games against the 1-2 Jets

Another game against the 1-2 Dolphins

2 games against a 2-1 Patriots team that nearly lost to the 0-3 Raiders at home

A game against 1-2 KC

A game against 1-2 Minnesota

A game against 1-2 Cleveland

That's a lot of very, very winnable games right there.

This isn't that complicated, is it?

I see our best possible record (based on the games we've played) as being something like 8-8. I don't see us as a playoff team.

Do you?

I guess so. We will find out soon enough.

The old I'm older thus smarter than you argument. How baggish. I'm most likely older than you and don't agree with any of your assessments.

OK.

So your standard of quality for any past, current, or future Bills QB is being "close to a generational talent who is arguably the best quarterback of all time"?

Yeah...

I think you'll find yourself waiting a good, long while.

I didn't bring Tom Brady into the conversation, no. 26Cornerblitz did.

What is your standard of quality? A middling talent that was a massive reach in the first round?

What's not funny is your continuing mental midgetry . Stop your fruitless attempts to one up me and spend your time more wisely by trying to learn some football. You're dismissed.

The more you attack posters and not their arguments, the more you undermine your own credibility.

The more you attack posters and not their arguments, the more you undermine your own credibility.

You should check your facts before you post. I have been responding to his futile "attacks" in several threads. Not surprised that you didn't bother to understand what was happening before trying to lecture me. Handle your own business.

You should check your facts before you post. I have been responding to his futile "attacks" in several threads. Not surprised that you didn't bother to understand what was happening before trying to lecture me. Handle your own business.

Has turned from mental savant to internet tough guy. Haha, now that's funny! :lol:

Has turned from mental savant to internet tough guy. Haha, now that's funny! :lol:

Please take off your red nose, makeup, and big shoes before posting. Thank You. BTW, Still waiting for your all-22 EJ breakdown that we will never see.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

While a "Jim Kelly" type QB may not guarantee a Superbowl victory, I would argue you can't win a Superbowl without elite talent at the QB position.

Ironically, the team that won last year may be a glaring exception. Why? B/C they arguably have the greatest defense of all time, perhaps with the exception of the 1985 Chicago Bears.

If you want to win a Superbowl with a middling talent like EJ, you better get a much, much better defense than we currently have now.

Ummm. Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler, and Brad Johnson would disagree.

I see our best possible record (based on the games we've played) as being something like 8-8. I don't see us as a playoff team.

Do you?

I guess so. We will find out soon enough.

Yes I do.

OK.

I didn't bring Tom Brady into the conversation, no. 26Cornerblitz did.

What is your standard of quality? A middling talent that was a massive reach in the first round?

That is a reach of a statement at this point. Bill Polian has said games 16-32 will tell you all you need to know. I'll take his word over yours... no offense.

26CB's credibility is higher than most on this board, and he brings more to this board along with Yolo than just about anybody. I could only wish to have theirs. They spend what seems like hours a day to post articles, videos, pod casts, and tweets for everyone's enjoyment. I'm glad they're on here, this place wouldn't be nearly as informative. Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

You have to stop making excuses for this guy. The wind was blowing? The other team was rushing hard? Our receivers did not know where to go? Everything is wrong but EJ? Please stop.

Any competitive QB would have had this team in contention to win this game. It was a home against a good team but we are also a good team.

EJ can't get past his first read and he has limited awareness in the pocket. He has neither down field vision nor medium throw accuracy nor willingness to throw down field. He didn't throw down field against the Chargers till the game was completely lost and then he was horribly off target and that had nothing to do with the wind. Watkins & Woods had stopped looking for the ball by then. I never saw all the receivers just up and quit on their QB like that.

Sammy is the only guy he threw to against the Dolphins. Williams only has 5 catches in three games. Hogan, Goodwin and Easley don't have a catch this year -- none! Goodwin the fast guy is thrown to behind the line of scrimmage where he gets lit up like a Xmas tree. Please just send him deep once and heave it.

You can look at all the tape you want. Try watching the game. EJ stunk. He was bad in the Chicago game too. He is a helluva nice guy, smart, hard worker, willing to do what it takes and all that, but he is just not a good QB. I thought he was a great choice over Geno but watching Geno changed my mind. Geno has game. Geno has growing issues but he is a competitor and will only get better. The only progress in EJ's game has been backwards.

JJ will eat EJ alive Sunday. Here are some excuses you can get ready to use: Richardson is a rookie guard and it was his first start, the receivers were unfamiliar with the turf, the OL couldn't hear the snap counts, it was too hot, Houston is a good defense and they wanted it more, he would have had better stats if the receivers caught the ball....

The wind was blowing for the other team as well.

26CB's credibility is higher than most on this board, and he brings more to this board along with Yolo than just about anybody. I could only wish to have theirs. They spend what seems like hours a day to post articles, videos, pod casts, and tweets for everyone's enjoyment. I'm glad their on here, this place wouldn't be nearly as informative.

I really appreciate the support. Thank You.

the way people go out of their way to make excuses for this guy continues to amaze me

I felt the same way after 3 years of Fitz. And there are still threads about him. I'm not about to cut bait on EJ after 1 season but the SD game was unnerving to say the least

Edited by benderbender