Run D 6th in NFL after 3rd game, appears vastly improved

Big Turk

Bills run D allowing only 3.3 YPC and 83.7 YPG and has not allowed a rushing TD yet, one of only 4 teams to do so. Longest run of the season against them was 14 yards, 2nd to the Jets who have only allowed a long run of 12 yards.

Appears Schwartz takes less risk and believes more in being fundamentally sound with his schemes versus Pettine which relied on people coming from all angles...Pettine's was a much more fun defense to watch, but gave up lots of big plays and points and was not good against the run.

So far Schwartz's D only allows 17.3 points per game, which is good enough to win most games if the offense does an average job...

Bills run D allowing only 3.3 YPC and 83.7 YPG and has not allowed a rushing TD yet, one of only 4 teams to do so. Longest run of the season against them was 14 yards, 2nd to the Jets who have only allowed a long run of 12 yards.

Appears Schwartz takes less risk and believes more in being fundamentally sound with his schemes versus Pettine which relied on people coming from all angles...Pettine's was a much more fun defense to watch, but gave up lots of big plays and points and was not good against the run.

So far Schwartz's D only allows 17.3 points per game, which is good enough to win most games if the offense does an average job...

For sure the Run D has improved dramatically but the defense is getting abused underneath in the passing game quite frequently and still are giving up 1 or 2 big passing plays a game.

Unfortunately the run offense has fallen quite dramatically from what it was last year at this point as well.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Run defense looks better. But you don't stop teams like San Diego, Detroit and New England by stopping the run. I am scared to play New England and Detroit.

Did you say scared?? Were we scared when we played the Bears in the Super Bowl ?? Edited by BringBackFergy

Knew from day 1 the Bills would not miss Pettine on defense. This is a huge upgrade thus far, and what I know I bark about and have been for over 10 years, the number one worst thing the Bills have been, besides weak at QB, is a terrible run defense team, which to me, is even worse than the QB play.

The key to minimizing the opponent's run offense is to break the RB's lower leg or ankle. My stats show we are 66.66% successful in ending the game for opponent's RB's (Knowshon Moreno and Danny Woodhead). That has to be tops in the league.

Didn't help last year...TB had a practice squad RB rumble 80 yards on their first offensive play, and Jacksonville's 3rd or 4th string RB carved us up too

No just EJ. The rest of the offense has been playing 100% :rolleyes:

Is EJ guilty of false holding calls that wipe out multiple 20+ yard runs?

The TEAM needs to play on all cylinders to win games. If any of the 3 breakdown - expect a L

IIRC, in at least 2 games where one or the other broke a long run or YAC for 20+ yard runs. even 3 points of a FG would have eliminated OT.

SD was a 10 point game, that one huge non play didn't help the o get into a rhythm.