Study shows west coast teams heading east at huge disadvantage

Big Turk

SD is also playing at 10AM their time. X-Country, at Buffalo this week (after a very emotional win in 100+ deg weather) is an absolute classic trap game for SD. Rivers is a down but never out kind of player and he will make it very difficult to close this one out. Our D, RB's and 12th man will eventually break their backs.

The Bills have yet to play at their peak. As Bart Scott says, "Can't Wait!"

They have already forgotten about the Seattle game. They have gotten plenty of sleep since last Sundays game...A flight to Buffalo is not that stressful. Why would playing a few hours earlier than their normal time make a goddamn bit of difference? SD will be ready to play tomorrow.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They have already forgotten about the Seattle game. They have gotten plenty of sleep since last Sundays game...A flight to Buffalo is not that stressful. Why would playing a few hours earlier than their normal time make a goddamn bit of difference? SD will be ready to play tomorrow.

Historically, the stats say otherwise.

No way that team gets up to play the Bills the way they did when Seattle came into their house.

No way that team gets up to play the Bills the way they did when Seattle came into their house.

It's a subject that has received an amazing amount of attention this week, I'm just amazed at how much emphasis people are putting on a plane trip the day before a game and that San Diego playing at '10am their time' will be such huge factors. How about the skill set of the teams. I wonder if that will affect the outcome at all.

As someone who has flown a LOT, I can tell you that it doesn't matter how far you've flown. What counts is being able to get a few good hours of sound sleep once you land. And trust me, I'm a lot older than these kids playing the game - their bodies bounce back a lot faster than mine. But you know what would suck? Having to try to get a nap with a room mate. Some big dude in the next bed farting and snoring. THAT'S what is going to "F" with these guys. Knowing you have to wake up and share a bathroom with someone you barely know who had week-old sushi last night. Jesus.

As someone who has flown a LOT, I can tell you that it doesn't matter how far you've flown. What counts is being able to get a few good hours of sound sleep once you land. And trust me, I'm a lot older than these kids playing the game - their bodies bounce back a lot faster than mine. But you know what would suck? Having to try to get a nap with a room mate. Some big dude in the next bed farting and snoring. THAT'S what is going to "F" with these guys. Knowing you have to wake up and share a bathroom with someone you barely know who had week-old sushi last night. Jesus.

There's a lot of horrific imagery in this.

Well done. :beer:

Why not? Except for Thursday games teams have a whole week to prepare for the next game. They have meetings, watch film, practice.....they may not be a pumped up because they are on the road but they will be ready to play.

How would you know? Your job doesn't likely hinge on making split second decisions over and over again. Did you ever try to get off the ball the next morning after landing or try and make a read on a play action pass? In most jobs it won't make a difference, in jobs where a tenth of a second means a lot, it can make a big difference

Why not? Except for Thursday games teams have a whole week to prepare for the next game. They have meetings, watch film, practice.....they may not be a pumped up because they are on the road but they will be ready to play.

(I love this team and want 19-0)

I know that the Texans game on the road will contain nowhere near the level of intensity for the Bills players than that of the following week's New England home game. The players have had the NE game circled on the schedule for months and, if we win this week, the Texans game has all the elements of a trap game/let down for the Bills.

SD situation this week is very similar to the upcoming Bills schedule. They had the SB champs coming into their house followed by a road game to Buffalo. Prior to the season, which game was circled and considered a huge pivotal game for their season and which game was more of an afterthought?

Let's just touch on a few misconceptions here.

This is not a particularly small sample size.And unless I'm mistaken EVERY game (that qualifies) since 2004 was chosen, not just a sample.

Yes, the comparison wasn't controlled for team quality, but I'm guessing that was probably self-controlled by the diversity of teams and the number of years included. Still it would be nice to compare these results to the records of the team.

Somebody honestly had to do a "study" to figure this out?

It's common sense. Lol.

Study's often find "common sense" is total bulls#it. Common sense changes over the years. Common sense is what is generally believed by common people. Common people tend to be clueless morons.

I too have a tough time believing that 3 hour time change makes that big a difference in the performance. If they said that traveling to Europe caused a problem due to the ~ 11 hour change, I may buy that. Isolating one variable and trying to prove causation is a futile exercise. The Dean and others may weigh in with a more precise explanation of taking data and trying to fit one variable to the observed result.

IMHO, this contention is BS

Apparently that common sense is not so common.

Some posts in this thread make the mistake of taking personal experience and generalizing it to another area. Bad science!

correlation.png

Outstanding!

Why is it so hard to believe traveling across time zones might have some impact? Isn't playing at home generally considered an advantage? I'd suspect (I have no evidence) that the longer the travel, the bigger the impact, maybe just slightly bigger. Seems like when families take trips, the longer they have in the car together the more they are likely to fight. (OK, now I'm making stupid comparisons.)

Eastern Time Zone teams also have a losing record when traveling west. In general, I think people have a tougher time traveling east than they do west. At least that's the way I recall it.

I believe if you controlled for team quality, and went back further in time, you'd likely find some small effect from traveling, from traveling across time zones, and from traveling west to east (in that order of effect). But I'm guessing, I don't have enough data to make the call. i would also note that any pattern probably has no definable impact on any individual game. So I wouldn't count on that possible effect to be the difference in today's game. I prefer the effect of the Williams boys putting the hurt to Rivers..

I know that the Texans game on the road will contain nowhere near the level of intensity for the Bills players than that of the following week's New England home game. The players have had the NE game circled on the schedule for months and, if we win this week, the Texans game has all the elements of a trap game/let down for the Bills.

SD situation this week is very similar to the upcoming Bills schedule. They had the SB champs coming into their house followed by a road game to Buffalo. Prior to the season, which game was circled and considered a huge pivotal game for their season and which game was more of an afterthought?

I don't buy into this at all. They, like us, will take it one game at a time. Theyre not coming here saying gee we can afford to give this one away ... its 1 of only 16 reg season games, and its a conference game.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

What makes you think that? You really think if they're playing the Texans, they will have NE on their minds?

I don't buy into this at all. They, like us, will take it one game at a time. Theyre not coming here saying gee we can afford to give this one away ... its 1 of only 16 reg season games, and its a conference game.

I spoke about matching the intensity….more of an involuntary thing than a pre-meditated thing.

Has anyone ever seen a game where a team comes out flat after a huge prior game? Not such a lost foreign concept.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

I spoke about matching the intensity….more of an involuntary thing than a pre-meditated thing.

Has anyone ever seen a game where a team comes out flat after a huge prior game? Not such a lost foreign concept.

Not really foreign to any team.

But I haven't seen THIS team do that yet. :lol:

Let's hope they can continue to stay hungry, irrespective of the opponent.

Biggest advantage is SD playing in a sold out Ralph with a riled up crowd screaming at the top of their lungs while Rivers tries to audible. I have seen this effect opposing teams for years. The time zone thing may have a bit of an effect, but we are talking about professional athletes that do this all the time. Also, some of these west coast teams have had some really sucky teams over that time frame. The AFCE has been one of the most competitive conferences in football for a long time. Not saying the data isn't helpful, but you do have to try and put things in perspective by looking at more than just time zone data.

These are finely tuned elite athletes. The average person may not find any success. It can take time to get your feet back underneath you. As a former national teamer I don't particularly travel well. At the last national championships I went to, it took me a race in the heats to back in the groove, and got embarrassed. That wasn't uncommon for me at high level races because the margin for error is small. Long story short, I won the event handidly, and every bit of my first race was due to my bodies response to travel. Some athletes will travel better than others, but to deny that such a thing exists is inherently false and ignorant. It exists, and different athletes see different effects, but traveling can be rough on elite athletes.

You see athletes for Olympic and World Championships head just outside the competition site sometimes weeks in advance. It's not just taking time on a plane, there is lactate build up, scheduling, and metabolic rate that all get thrown off, even if by a small amount, it can be detrimental to performance.

Report from Buffalo on ESPN Gameday said Chargers practiced earlier all week and flew in on Friday instead of Saturday, to account for the time change. Apparently they don't believe it is meaningless and they prepare for it.

But they do seem prepared, so it probably won't make much of a physical impact. Mental impact? Who knows.

Edited by The Dean

Study shows over last decade west coast teams had a .341 win percentage in the eastern time zone...

People don't factor this in enough, there were studies done showing players reaction times were significantly negatively altered the next day after long flights to the point Nike and an airline company are trying to develop special planes to deal with this for teams to help the players not suffer these issues...has to do with Circadian rhythms being altered...

San Diego no matter what they say is at a significant disadvantage due to this alone

http://m.timesunion....ms-5767369.php?

Sure looks like it so far.