To all of the EJ bashers

DirtDart

maybe that poet you like can shed some light on the QB situation.

or maybe QBR takes into account when a QB isn't smart enough to avoid a sack by unloading the ball because he can't make his reads fast enough, turns around and loses yards via a sack trying to escape pressure.

btw, both 8.4 and 13.9 suck

Don't get mad at me because your go to QB rating system that you continually harp on has big ugly warts. :lol:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Sally.

I've actually read that already. My point is, that's a terrible metric, mostly because that could be different for every person you ask. There is no way to boil down and say yup, that play was more clutch than this other play. I'm sure if you asked enough coaches they would say all plays are important. Are throws at the end of the game, when the game is on the line with time running out clutch? Of course they are, but one could argue that the throw in the 1st quarter, that took the top of the defense was just as clutch because that didn't come against prevent defense and opened up the game more. Who knows.

Thanks Sally.

I've actually read that already. My point is, that's a terrible metric, mostly because that could be different for every person you ask. There is no way to boil down and say yup, that play was more clutch than this other play. I'm sure if you asked enough coaches they would say all plays are important. Are throws at the end of the game, when the game is on the line with time running out clutch? Of course they are, but one could argue that the throw in the 1st quarter, that took the top of the defense was just as clutch because that didn't come against prevent defense and opened up the game more. Who knows.

So what do you say about coming up short against a prevent defense?

Should there be an extra negative for coming up short against a prevent defense?

An extra negative? I have no idea, I'm not the one making the QBR "clutch" rules.

Is it bad that a QB comes up short? Sure, it could be. But like I said there are a load of variables. What if he came up short because a defender made an absolutely amazing play, but the QB still made some "clutch" throws previous to that, that without them they wouldn't have even had a chance.

An extra negative? I have no idea, I'm not the one making the QBR "clutch" rules.

Is it bad that a QB comes up short? Sure, it could be. But like I said there are a load of variables. What if he came up short because a defender made an absolutely amazing play, but the QB still made some "clutch" throws previous to that, that without them they wouldn't have even had a chance.

That's why any rating or statistic of a single drive, or even a game does not provide a good sample size. But these types of plays even out over a course of a season, and miraculously the end statistics tend to mirror what the eyes see on the field.

That's why any rating or statistic of a single drive, or even a game does not provide a good sample size. But these types of plays even out over a course of a season, and miraculously the end statistics tend to mirror what the eyes see on the field.

I still think its a flawed statistic. I think the example of last night's rating of Cousins is a prime example. He threw 4 int's and fumbled away a ball. How is it possible with all of those negative plays he was still able to have a number higher than EJ in the Chargers game? Where the heck did the clutch plays come from? He gave his team absolutely no chance to win with his play.

But that's the rub, that's my opinion of his play and QBR brings opinion("clutch") and tries to quantify it.

I still think its a flawed statistic. I think the example of last night's rating of Cousins is a prime example. He threw 4 int's and fumbled away a ball. How is it possible with all of those negative plays he was still able to have a number higher than EJ in the Chargers game? Where the heck did the clutch plays come from? He gave his team absolutely no chance to win with his play.

But that's the rub, that's my opinion of his play and QBR brings opinion("clutch") and tries to quantify it.

That is a limitation, but so is every other rating. I do understand the concept though in that it tries to quantify the concept of scoring and getting in a position to score. A QB can have multiple INT, but he will have a higher QBR if he had more scores and more drives that nearly resulted in scores as opposed to the guy who doesn't have any INTs, but rarely crosses the 50 yd line.

He craves the English language? Or does he crave the proper use of the English language?

I believe that proper use and the language itself are not mutually exclusive--one is incumbent upon the other. Also, I'd probably steer closer to "want" or "wish for" than crave.

Nevertheless, I think the point was clear.