Kelly may need more cancer surgery

YoloinOhio

I wondered that myself. Aren't they supposed to wait 5 years?

For cancer free, 5 years is considered as the minimum. Wording on Kelly's situation should've been different. Hopefully things work out for Jimbo and his family.

Let me add things vary from cancer to cancer. Some types of cancer are considered as incurable. As in yes, a person may have gone 5 years w/out a reoccurrence, but w/ the type of cancer they have it may be expected to return w/in x amount of time. It's all based on the type of cancer an individual has.

Edited by thanes16

I wondered that myself. Aren't they supposed to wait 5 years?

Not quite - different things. I think you're talking about the "5 year survival rate" which is a statistic examining longer term impact of different types of cancer.

No oncologist ever declares a patient "cancer free". The official term is NED (no evidence of disease).

They observe the area where the primary cancer was located by whatever technology is appropriate (PET scan, MRI, xray with contrast, CAT scan, fluorescent labeling if available). They take biopsies and send them for histopathology. If they don't find anything, they declare the patient has "NED".

That doesn't mean metastases (tumors of the same cell type as the original) can't pop up in new locations.

When a patient is NED and no metastases are detected for 5 years, depending upon the type of cancer the chances of long term survival may become very good (for others, not so much).

I've spoken to a few who would know---they were surprised he didn't get radiation with his original surgery in 2013.

There is no one established protocol for many cancers. The best recommendation can vary depending upon a lot of details.

It's also appropriate for the patient to assess the benefits and risks of various treatments and make a choice. From various quotes, it sounds like radiation is something Jim Kelly worries about, so perhaps it was recommended and he turned it down. We don't know and it's non of our business.

Everyone is an expert oncologist from a distance, until they get up close and personal with an individual, the specifics of his disease, his family, and his choices.

Edited by Hopeful

Not quite - different things. I think you're talking about the "5 year survival rate" which is a statistic examining longer term impact of different types of cancer.

No oncologist ever declares a patient "cancer free". The official term is NED (no evidence of disease).

They observe the area where the primary cancer was located by whatever technology is appropriate (PET scan, MRI, xray with contrast, CAT scan, fluorescent labeling if available). They take biopsies and send them for histopathology. If they don't find anything, they declare the patient has "NED".

That doesn't mean metastases (tumors of the same cell type as the original) can't pop up in new locations.

When a patient is NED and no metastases are detected for 5 years, depending upon the type of cancer the chances of long term survival may become very good (for others, not so much).

There is no one established protocol for many cancers. The best recommendation can vary depending upon a lot of details.

It's also appropriate for the patient to assess the benefits and risks of various treatments and make a choice. From various quotes, it sounds like radiation is something Jim Kelly worries about, so perhaps it was recommended and he turned it down. We don't know and it's non of our business.

Everyone is an expert oncologist from a distance, until they get up close and personal with an individual, the specifics of his disease, his family, and his choices.

Everyone doesn't like radiation therapy, but in my experience, it's very rare that if it is recommended, a patient will refuse it. I think this is especially true in a hard to reach (surgically) malignancy.

My guess is that original surgeon figured he got it all...

Was watching Jim speaking at the Ralph Wilson memorial event from Friday and was thinking he looked and sounded lot stronger than he did even at the HOfF ceremony just a month ago....damn!

on my to the game but stopping to pass along this from my hospital chaplain wife (revnjoisy):

often the cancer is shrunk by radiation/chemo to the point where minor surgery can now be used to "clean things up". I would think this means

they see something a little suspicious so they are going in to safely remove it.

-RichNJoisy (now on to the Tailgate!)