How did you, if you ever did, win over your in-laws?

Deranged Rhino

First of all, the following isn't about me. Everyone believe that? No? Good, let's continue. I went to a wedding last year in central Texas. My date was a bridesmaid so it was a chance to see her hometown and meet a bunch of her close friends and family. Clearly the home field advantage was theirs, especially when they took me out hunting (I don't hunt) with the rest of the groomsmen for what they called the "real bachelor party."

It was a group of maybe ten of us, including my date's father and brother. I rode with them in a caravan of three trucks. I didn't see any rifles or bows or shotguns being loaded into the trucks that morning so I assumed we weren't really going hunting at all. Then, the lead truck in the caravan got pulled over about twenty minutes into our drive. The Best Man was driving the lead truck, which was also the truck with most of the gear, including twelve handguns. I watched from the back of the truck as the Best Man showed the officer the weapons and explained it was a hunting trip / bachelor party. The cop laughs, lets us go.

Now I'm in the back of the truck, driving with a bunch of guys I don't know, wondering what the hell are we hunting with handguns while trying to make nice with the brother and father. Turns out the answer to that is boar. Big !@#$ing boar. With little !@#$ing pop guns and a lot of booze. Responsible? No. Fun? Absolutely. I didn't hunt as much as I drank, and my Boston accent (which comes out when I drink, which is odd since I'm from Rochester) seemed to entertain the Texans. Now we're all buds and I've been pretty well accepted into the family, thanks largely to that weekend.

How did you manage to win over your in-laws or significant other's family? Or better yet, who has failed while attempting to do so?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, the following isn't about me. Everyone believe that? No? Good, let's continue. I went to a wedding last year in central Texas. My date was a bridesmaid so it was a chance to see her hometown and meet a bunch of her close friends and family. Clearly the home field advantage was theirs, especially when they took me out hunting (I don't hunt) with the rest of the groomsmen for what they called the "real bachelor party."

It was a group of maybe ten of us, including my date's father and brother. I rode with them in a caravan of three trucks. I didn't see any rifles or bows or shotguns being loaded into the trucks that morning so I assumed we weren't really going hunting at all. Then, the lead truck in the caravan got pulled over about twenty minutes into our drive. The Best Man was driving the lead truck, which was also the truck with most of the gear, including twelve handguns. I watched from the back of the truck as the Best Man showed the officer the weapons and explained it was a hunting trip / bachelor party. The cop laughs, lets us go.

Now I'm in the back of the truck, driving with a bunch of guys I don't know, wondering what the hell are we hunting with handguns while trying to make nice with the brother and father. Turns out the answer to that is boar. Big !@#$ing boar. With little !@#$ing pop guns and a lot of booze. Responsible? No. Fun? Absolutely. I didn't hunt as much as I drank, and my Boston accent (which comes out when I drink, which is odd since I'm from Rochester) seemed to entertain the Texans. Now we're all buds and I've been pretty well accepted into the family, thanks largely to that weekend.

How did you manage to win over your in-laws or significant other's family? Or better yet, who has failed while attempting to do so?

The first time I met my future father in law to be, no wedding plans at the time, he takes me to this bar in the mountains, we got **** faced, he claimed I insulted him. He ditched me at the bar, I had no f-in clue where I was, it was New Years Eve, I went walking around the mountain cabins knocking on doors asking if they knew where my girlfriends family cabin was. It took like 5 hours to find the cabin. He never did like me. We have been married for 31 years now.

Edited by Fan in San Diego

The first time I met my future father in law to be, no wedding plans at the time, he takes me to this bar in the mountains, we got **** faced, he claimed I insulted him. He ditched me at the bar, I had no f-in clue where I was, it was New Years Eve, I went walking around the mountain cabins knocking on doors asking if they knew where my girlfriends family cabin was. It took like 5 hours to find the cabin. He never did like me. We have been married for 31 years now.

In a twisted way that is a very funny story...

My in-laws are not worth winning over; they were terrible to my wife growing up (abusive, unsupportive, you name it).

We only communicate with them because she has a much younger sister that she wants a relationship with; other than that they can fly a kite for all we care.

I'm pleasant enough to them when I must be, but rest assured they are never with my children unless my wife or I are present.