Greg Hardy

YoloinOhio

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The girl claimed he threw her all over the room...the bathtub, on to a pile of guns, choked her out...the only injury she had though was a broken toenail.

i haven't been following this story, but where did you see that about her injury? The link I just posted said there were ER pics of a lot more than that?

He still has a jury trial, the "found guilty" is misleading because the judge decides (guilty/not guilty))if a case should go to trial.

Not sure how it works in NC, but if their system is like VA's the original misdemeanor case would be held in General District Court before a judge. In those cases a conviction is still a conviction, but to get around the issue of constitutional protections the defendant has a right to appeal to the circuit court where it is heard de novo (new trial). Again, not sure about NC's court structure, but this may be what happened.

i haven't been following this story, but where did you see that about her injury? The link I just posted said there were ER pics of a lot more than that?

I read in the court room testimony hardy's attorney asked the girl how with all the beatings she received last night that she did not have any evidence of it and not even a broken nail. She said thats not true I had a broken toe nail.

Not sure how it works in NC, but if their system is like VA's the original misdemeanor case would be held in General District Court before a judge. In those cases a conviction is still a conviction, but to get around the issue of constitutional protections the defendant has a right to appeal to the circuit court where it is heard de novo (new trial). Again, not sure about NC's court structure, but this may be what happened.

Thanks, I'm not familiar with this system of court.

Interesting

@jon_wertheim: ICYMI, Greg Hardy and the NFL's continued moral failure: http://t.co/7amrT0HVDc

Painful article. Great detail.

But this piece just drives me nuts in regard to the NFL and what it has morphed into .

I read in the court room testimony hardy's attorney asked the girl how with all the beatings she received last night that she did not have any evidence of it and not even a broken nail. She said thats not true I had a broken toe nail.

everything in context . keep in mind the media is manipulative with specific wording to lead a readers thinking

So we are now living in a country where you are presumed guilty until proven innocent? Great.

So you understand that in this country there is a difference between how the state can operate in relation to its citizens and how private parties can operate with each other based on their contractual agreements.

In the American system we require the state to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a party is guilty before the state can exact penalties on the now found guilty party.

However, in the case of private contracts such as employment, there is no right to an assumption of innocence until guilt is proven. The employer has the right to do things like fire you, suspend you (with or without pay) or exact other sanctions on you as they feel they can reasonably defend.

You as a citizen has a right to sue your employer in a court of law if you feel that this private party sanction is inappropriate on some way.

Are you innocent until proven guilty in this country. Yes, in terms of state sanction.

Are you innocent until proven guilty in all cases in all relationships you are involved with in the US.

Nope.

Never have been and never will be.

The NFL as a private party has the ability (and the right based on certain past practices and also by agreement with the NFLPA who after the current CBA was pit in place which guarantees the players a significant majority of the total gross receipts of the NFL) a player can be fired for violations of certain moral clauses in the agreement between owners and players. Players are routinely sanctioned for behaviors such as pot smoking, public drunkenness domestic violence, etc for which they have not been found guilty of in a court of law or that they were found guilty but paid their debt to society.

The problem the NFL is suffering from right now is not simply that they are punishing players but that the punishments seem to be variable and out of character with general public desires.

You may never have been formally found guilty of a specific crime but if you are reasonably judged by Riger Goodell and the powers that be to be bad for business and your presence hurts the brand you can be done (see Pac Man Jones for example). The owners and the players all agree to this because it makes them a bunch of $.

So we are now living in a country where you are presumed guilty until proven innocent? Great.

Is he in jail?

Well, actually, he has already been pronounced guilty in a court.

Their court system is super weird, basically have to be found guilty first by a judge, then you can appeal to a jury? They should go to the game of thrones trial by combat after that.

Painful article. Great detail.

But this piece just drives me nuts in regard to the NFL and what it has morphed into .

What are you talking about what it has morphed into? Ever hear the story of Eric Moulds putting his girlfriend's head through sheetrock?

If anything, there's a lot more visibility on these incidents now.

Is he in jail?

Their court system is super weird, basically have to be found guilty first by a judge, then you can appeal to a jury? They should go to the game of thrones trial by combat after that.

Hmmm weird, I've lived in Raleigh for the last 4 years and never heard this.