What about Russ Brandon?

montanafan

I doubt he stays. 3 reasons:

1- Brandon currently has full control and authority over the team. At a minimum, he would have diminished responsibility and that's hard for anyone to swallow.

2- The Pegulas will further limit his responsibilities to non-football operations. I believe RB wants and likes to be intimately involved in the football side. I don't think he wants that lower level role.

3- I believe RB wants a longer term career in the NFL offices and making the switch now, makes sense.

So, my prediction is a short transition (3-6 months) than a move to a job in the NFL offices.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

RB is a difficult guy to evaluate given the numerous roles and sometimes bizarre front office structures the Bills have had over the years. To me, he is clearly a very strong guy with respect to the football business. I think over the past couple of years, since Ralph stepped completely aside and relinquished all control to RB, he has performed very well. Brandon would be a very valuable guy for Pegula to have on-board.

However, I do think it is unlikely he stays beyond this season and some brief transition period for the simple reason that any potential role he might have going forward would be a step down from his current role and responsibilities. We will see in due time once TP's intentions with respect to organizational structure are known, but it is probably time for RB to move on from a career perspective.

1- Brandon currently has full control and authority over the team. At a minimum, he would have diminished responsibility and that's hard for anyone to swallow.

2- The Pegulas will further limit his responsibilities to non-football operations. I believe RB wants and likes to be intimately involved in the football side. I don't think he wants that lower level role.

3- I believe RB wants a longer term career in the NFL offices and making the switch now, makes sense.

So, my prediction is a short transition (3-6 months) than a move to a job in the NFL offices.

This is based on what? Seriously. Is there anything specific said by Brandon or anyone else that makes you believe he wants to leave the Bills and go to the NFL, or is this just more wild conjecture?

Brandon was directly involved in the sale of the team. He and the Pegulas have got pretty close. I would bet anything they love the guy. Every time you hear a national reporter on GR talk about Brandon they always bring up how good he is and well respected he is.

I don't believe a word Brandon says in public, but he's fabulous at his job.

Disagree with all three points.

TP is a good businessman. Like all good businessmen, he'll take his time evaluating the front office and learn a lot about the NFL from Russ. Doesn't mean he wouldn't hire another PRESIDENT someday, but it's highly unlikely he'll come in and make waves in year one.

Since Russ's role as team PRESIDENT doesn't include responsibilities for football operations, TP would be unlikely to limit what Russ does best...put fannies in the seats, market the team, look for new revenue sources, be an advocate for the Bills at league meetings, etc.

Russ is an upstate NY guy and the PRESIDENT position is his dream job. The league office is just a bureaucratic administrative function and not a place to shine or have fun. Nobody goes there if they can be in that exclusive fraternity of 32....

I think people are vastly overstating Russ' responsibility of the Bills staying in Buffalo. The billionaires make all the rules and the politicians do their best to keep them at bay. The Lease and NRA was a joint agreement between Wilson, Erie, and NYS.

I also dont know if his "marketing genius" cant be replaced fairly easily. Its NFL football. Its Buffalo. RWS is a great party. People will go. I dont go because Russ Brandon did anything. My 10 friends I go with dont either. So he moved training camp to his alma mater. Whooptee doo. I would have done the same thing in his position. We also had terribly conceived pajama uniforms and Toronto Series as well. There are hundreds if not thousands of sports business types who can make NFL teams profitable. If Brandon does anything, he angers me as a fan using his December sellouts and "manufactured sellouts", and pointing to ticket sales 25 years ago as leverage publicly while in the midst of 6 consecutive last place seasons.

I wouldnt hate it if they walled him off into a strict Ted Black role. Never to be mistaked for on-field influence again. No more war rooms, no more speaking about the makeup of the roster, no more scouting with a laptop during games, no more on the field in coaches gear at practice. That all ends.

So opposite of Brandon (if he accepts) his diminished Ted Black role, we need a football man in. Dont know exactly who. That man determines the fate of Whaley and the coaching staff. This man will be responsible for all pro and college scouting, analytics, player development, contracts (if he wants a cap guy thats cool or defer it completely to Whaley), etc...

No subtractions will be made anytime soon though. If anything, Pegula may install some management on top of what exists (maybe Littman and Overdorf resign?). After the season is when changes will/would be made.

Edited by May Day 10

Disagree with all three points.

TP is a good businessman. Like all good businessmen, he'll take his time evaluating the front office and learn a lot about the NFL from Russ. Doesn't mean he wouldn't hire another PRESIDENT someday, but it's highly unlikely he'll come in and make waves in year one.

Since Russ's role as team PRESIDENT doesn't include responsibilities for football operations, TP would be unlikely to limit what Russ does best...put fannies in the seats, market the team, look for new revenue sources, be an advocate for the Bills at league meetings, etc.

Russ is an upstate NY guy and the PRESIDENT position is his dream job. The league office is just a bureaucratic administrative function and not a place to shine or have fun. Nobody goes there if they can be in that exclusive fraternity of 32....

Good post. How hard is that to understand? It's almost inarguable that Pegula will put his own kind of Ted Black guy in there to be his liaison, voice, eyes, and have some real power in the organization. But it's very possible that Pegula not only keeps Brandon in his present job but lets him keep the President title.

Keep in mind what Pegula did when he took over the Sabres.

He sat status quo with Ruff and (believe it or not), Regier!

He "might" use the same approach with the Bills - sit tight, go with current staff and see what happens.

However....he may have learned a valuable lesson with the Sabres, and just might CLEAN HOUSE!

People with pitchforks and torches aren't giving up until the burn someone at the stake. That's where all this Brandon hate comes from. He's the scapegoat. It's ironic because the Bills probably would be sold to L.A. interests by now if it wasn't for Brandon insisting the NFL sign-off on the non-relocation agreement.

But, no. He has to be fired because we saw him in the draft room on the phone. Some people, I swear. :doh:

PTR

People with pitchforks and torches aren't giving up until the burn someone at the stake. That's where all this Brandon hate comes from. He's the scapegoat. It's ironic because the Bills probably would be sold to L.A. interests by now if it wasn't for Brandon insisting the NFL sign-off on the non-relocation agreement.

But, no. He has to be fired because we saw him in the draft room on the phone. Some people, I swear. :doh:

PTR

this isnt based on reality.

So the team employee (just a marketing guy I guess?) convinced/fooled all the billionaires to make less money in Buffalo? Sorry, those with the gold make the rules. That's Ralph Wilson and Terry Pegula. Have the NFL owners ever rejected a lease agreement between one of its clubs and Government when money is getting handed over?

Its not pitchforks and torches. Its a terrible football organization who has finished last place 6 times in a row in a 4 team Division now under this man's leadership. If anyone has been scapegoating its the Bills organization whenever somebody leaves (Levy Modrak, Guy, Nix, Jauron, Gailey, etc).

One skin of the teeth win does not convince me all is well. We will see how this season goes, but anywhere short of a huge step forward we need an overhaul up top.

Not to mention Pegula put faith in questionable management with the Sabres (who actually had a track record that included some success) and it blew up in his face and he was just killed publicly and by the media. It also cost 2-3 years from the goal.

Edited by May Day 10

Let's see....looking at the standings today the Bills are tied for a super bowl berth. Why change anyone in the front office? At the end of the season there will be an evaluation of the organization, that is the time to see if there are any changes warranted both players and management.

this isn't based on reality.

So the team employee (just a marketing guy I guess?) convinced/fooled all the billionaires to make less money in Buffalo? Sorry, those with the gold make the rules. That's Ralph Wilson and Terry Pegula. Have the NFL owners ever rejected a lease agreement between one of its clubs and Government when money is getting handed over?

Its not pitchforks and torches. Its a terrible football organization who has finished last place 6 times in a row in a 4 team Division now under this man's leadership. If anyone has been scapegoating its the Bills organization whenever somebody leaves (Levy Modrak, Guy, Nix, Jauron, Gailey, etc).

One skin of the teeth win does not convince me all is well. We will see how this season goes, but anywhere short of a huge step forward we need an overhaul up top.

Not to mention Pegula put faith in questionable management with the Sabres (who actually had a track record that included some success) and it blew up in his face and he was just killed publicly and by the media. It also cost 2-3 years from the goal.

Where you there? What do you base your belief on? I base it on what Mark Polancarz said on WGR. The NFL is a co-signatory on the lease so, yes, they had to be convinced to accept that clause. Apparently Jerruh Jones and Bob Kraft were fighting it. Sorry if reality gets in the way of your fantasy.

So I guess Pegula buying the Bills is just the worst news to you? As for Brandon's direct responsibility for the Bills record, that is something you fabricate. You don't know who is responsible for what. You just want someone's head to roll.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This is based on what? Seriously. Is there anything specific said by Brandon or anyone else that makes you believe he wants to leave the Bills and go to the NFL, or is this just more wild conjecture?

Brandon was directly involved in the sale of the team. He and the Pegulas have got pretty close. I would bet anything they love the guy. Every time you hear a national reporter on GR talk about Brandon they always bring up how good he is and well respected he is.

I don't believe a word Brandon says in public, but he's fabulous at his job.

Sorry, I didn't know we were required to footnote our posts ;-)

I was told by a SJF alum who claimed to be friends with RB about 6 months ago that "Brandon knows he will most likely be on the outside of a new organization. He was fine with that and wanted to pursue the NFL offices." Further said his dream job is to one day be commissioner.

He's been a part of this organization for 14 years. Why is so hard to think that maybe HE wants to move on.

I tried to separate my opinion on his performance to offer a different perspective. Not pitchforks running after him PTR ! Just the fact that he's been here awhile, will not have full autonomy anymore and he just might want to do something different.

EDIT: I didn't want this thread to collapse into the tired argument of pro-Brandonites vs. anti-Brandonites -- does he or doesn't he get involved in football operations . . . . blah, blah, blah

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Sorry, I didn't know we were required to footnote our posts ;-)

I was told by a SJF alum who claimed to be friends with RB about 6 months ago that "Brandon knows he will most likely be on the outside of a new organization. He was fine with that and wanted to pursue the NFL offices." Further said his dream job is to one day be commissioner.

He's been a part of this organization for 14 years. Why is so hard to think that maybe HE wants to move on.

I tried to separate my opinion on his performance to offer a different perspective. Not pitchforks running after him PTR ! Just the fact that he's been here awhile, will not have full autonomy anymore and he just might want to do something different.

EDIT: I didn't want this thread to collapse into the tired argument of pro-Brandonites vs. anti-Brandonites -- does he or doesn't he get involved in football operations . . . . blah, blah, blah

Thanks for that. My original question was fact finding, not accusatory. And you answered it. Again, thanks for the info. It's possible, of course, if not probable, that Brandon would have higher ambitions. He is a high ego guy at a high ego position in a high ego league. As well as have contingency plans. So I shouldn't just assume that even if he is in a dream job that he would always want to be here.

It's very hard to believe that he would want to leave now, unless he was forced out. He's only been in charge a short time, the team is on the rise, the few restrictions we had under old ownership will be lifted. It's a great time to be at the top of the food chain on the Buffalo Bills. I can't believe I just typed that but it seems to be true.

Brandon will be here for a while at least. The NFL absolutely loves him and wants him on board for as long as possible. Additionally, I can't see why Pegula wouldn't want him to continue running the business operation that he's done so well with in the past.

Also, I believe he'll give Whaley/Marrone this year and next year (barring an epic collapse), but I don't know that for a fact.

I have also heard that Brandon has league office aspirations. As Kelly said, however, why would he want to leave the Bills now, just as things appear to be setting up for a great ride.

As I've said, that could easily be the case, as the NFL loves him. I do know that they want him on board to ease the transition in ownership though...I'd also think Pegula wants him given that he was gung-ho on them at the April ownership meetings.