Whaley deserves kudos

Kelly the Dog

It's been brought up in other threads on the game but I think it deserves its own thread. Although, granted, one game does not either support or deny a personnel move by a GM. But...

1] FA pickup Corey Graham was my MVP for the game. We already had three reliable DBs. He signs Graham to a very nice contract, partly because of what happened when our CBs were hurt last year, as well as our woeful ST. Our ST played well, as Graham is the captain, and he made an assortment of terrific plays in place of Gilmore.

2] Boobie Dixon. A character guy and a #3 RB who had 2-3 terrific plays in the game and a nice cog.

3] MWilliams for a #6 pick. Ridiculous. His talents complement the other three WRs even if he doesn't put up huge numbers. Made a big play in OT.

4] Colton Schmidt. I was screaming at Whaley to get a decent P here because Moorman sucked (however great a Bill and guy and punter he used to be). The guy performed big time.

5] Orton. Argue all you want about time and possibility and shoulda woulda coulda but we have one of the best backups in the league right now, for two years. With no Tuel or Thad.

6] Chris Williams. A lot of controversy over this choice. He wasn't great but he wasn't a liability either and he threw a key block on Freddie's game winning run.

The draft has yet to play itself out but it produced a starter Watkins who should be a star, and a starting RT who may be a star. Kujo is not close to paying any dividends. Brown didnt kill us today forced into action. Cockrell is decent #5 depth.

This is different. He's building a team. He seems to be a shrewd evaluator of talent. Of course he is not always going to be right.

I agree about Graham, M Williams and Dixon. You left out Spikes--the best defender on the team.

As for the punter--it's too early to tell. I doubt Orton is the best backup--he's a bit moldy.

Whaley's team has to produce all season for us to properly judge his performance.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Whaley is certainly setting us up for success. Love what he's doing. When we thought we were doomed at QB and punter, he somehow pulled out quality signings right before the season started. Schmidt was amazing today. The draft was solid from what we've seen so far. The offseason pickups have all been phenominal. Bring on the season!

I agree about Graham, M Williams and Dixon. You left out Spikes--the best defender on the team.

As for the punter--it's too early to tell. I doubt Orton is the best backup--he's a bit moldy.

Whaley's team has to produce all season for us to properly judge his performance.

Perhaps too early to tell, but he did everything Moorman couldn't do anymore this week and it helped us greatly. Orton may not be the best, and we may have paid a high price for him, but I think we can all feel more comfortable with him holding the clipboard than Thad or Tuel right now.

Oh good point. Forgot Spikes.

Mike Williams made a great block on Fred's big run in OT.

Williams also made a nasty block on a nice gain in the first half. They didnt show a replay but he came storming up the sidelines and lit up a Bear right before our guy stepped out of bounds. Great nasty hustle play. Watkins, Woods, Williams and Goodwin all block.

Whaley gets the Buffalo connection with Graham and Williams where Dixie Nix never considered that or we would have Gronk instead of Troup. For as much as we get crapped on with players who want out of Buffalo, there are quality NFL players who would be perfectly happy playing here.

It's been brought up in other threads on the game but I think it deserves its own thread. Although, granted, one game does not either support or deny a personnel move by a GM. But...

1] FA pickup Corey Graham was my MVP for the game. We already had three reliable DBs. He signs Graham to a very nice contract, partly because of what happened when our CBs were hurt last year, as well as our woeful ST. Our ST played well, as Graham is the captain, and he made an assortment of terrific plays in place of Gilmore.

2] Boobie Dixon. A character guy and a #3 RB who had 2-3 terrific plays in the game and a nice cog.

3] MWilliams for a #6 pick. Ridiculous. His talents complement the other three WRs even if he doesn't put up huge numbers. Made a big play in OT.

4] Colton Schmidt. I was screaming at Whaley to get a decent P here because Moorman sucked (however great a Bill and guy and punter he used to be). The guy performed big time.

5] Orton. Argue all you want about time and possibility and shoulda woulda coulda but we have one of the best backups in the league right now, for two years. With no Tuel or Thad.

6] Chris Williams. A lot of controversy over this choice. He wasn't great but he wasn't a liability either and he threw a key block on Freddie's game winning run.

The draft has yet to play itself out but it produced a starter Watkins who should be a star, and a starting RT who may be a star. Kujo is not close to paying any dividends. Brown didnt kill us today forced into action. Cockrell is decent #5 depth.

This is different. He's building a team. He seems to be a shrewd evaluator of talent. Of course he is not always going to be right.

Whaley is certainly setting us up for success. Love what he's doing. When we thought we were doomed at QB and punter, he somehow pulled out quality signings right before the season started. Schmidt was amazing today. The draft was solid from what we've seen so far. The offseason pickups have all been phenominal. Bring on the season!

Perhaps too early to tell, but he did everything Moorman couldn't do anymore this week and it helped us greatly. Orton may not be the best, and we may have paid a high price for him, but I think we can all feel more comfortable with him holding the clipboard than Thad or Tuel right now.

All good posts/points IMO. Might be too early to tell with Schmidt, but he had a good preseason and impressed the hell out of me today, But, as The Wolf might say, "let's not starting each others #### quite yet."

But this is the best I've felt ,about the long term potential, after a game in quite awhile. The pieces seem to have been put together fairly well.

I have to agree. Whaley is doing an excellent job at building a team. I commented on it during the preseason, one thing I noticed in spite of all the horrendous first team offense plays, was our depth looks to be excellent.

It wasn't too long ago when most of our starters couldn't be backups on most other teams. Now... it seems quite a few of our backups could start on other teams. That's pretty impressive and he's done it with good drafting and great free agent pick ups.

Williams also made a nasty block on a nice gain in the first half. They didnt show a replay but he came storming up the sidelines and lit up a Bear right before our guy stepped out of bounds. Great nasty hustle play. Watkins, Woods, Williams and Goodwin all block.

Thanks. You saved me from having to go back and find that play. I was meaning to find out who that was.

I feel the same way. Whaley is the best GM this organization has seen since John Butler. No GM since has had the right mix of proper player evaluation, ambition, poker ability, and balls to put a playoff team together.

Whether or not it happens this year, Whaley will build contenders here sooner than later.

Incidentally, I feel the same way about Marrone although it's a little harder to measure at this point, but he seems to me to have the right mix of skills as well that his predecessors have lacked in getting teams to gel. I like how Whaley & Marrone have a sense of how to build the right attitude for a locker room. I like how they specifically brought in players from winning organizations and players with emotional ties to the city as well. I know we're supposed to be thinking the team is on the verge of imploding, but it seems to me like they're more on the verge of putting it all together.

Then again this is probably just week 1 victory talking.