Cool Random Experiences Wearing a Bills Jersey?

Al Czervik

Hi everyone, I rarely post but others have encouraged me to try....I did a search on related topics but didn’t find any, sorry if this is in the wrong spot….here goes……

Yes there’s lots of negativity and uncertainty on the board heading into the 2014 season...things pretty much sound wrote off..…I’d say lately my confidence in the Bills was about at 25%. Here’s a bit about myself and a happy random experience that kind of refreshed my positive outlook being a Bills fan.

Quick background: last weekend our neighbors at the family cottage (back lake north of Kingston Ontario) won a radio contest to have a local band play in their back yard for a Last Summer Bash Party. The band is called The Glorious Sons….they are an up and coming rock band and a pretty big deal up here in Canada.I have about 3 Bills jerseys in my wardrobe that I wear as part of my regular after-hours rotation. Before heading to the lake I threw on my white Bruuuuccce Smith jersey as its one of my favorite beer drinking shirts.

Long story short, that evening the band absolutely rocked….after a few hours of beer drinking and live music and all the encores the lead singer left the stage and mingled over our way and walked right up to me and stuck out his hand and said “Man you’re a Bills fan?! I love the Bills!”

We both had a bunch of pops in us but we ended up exchanging a couple quick hi-fives over the Bills and how much we love the team and looking forward to the season. It wasn’t a long conversation as he was a busy guy but I thought it was pretty cool that a younger Bills fan in his position would make a point of coming over to say “Hey” like that.

I admit that something simple that simple pumped my tires up and my Bills Fan Confidence was back up to about 75%. It reminded me being a Bills fan was more than what happens on the field. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love a winner for once too, but at the same time, no matter what happens on the field I’m glad to belong to such a loyal group of passionate people.

I am sure by the time I roll into the RV parking next Saturday morning for the home opener my Bills Fan Confidence will be maxed to 100% and I’ll be happy I’m there!

Just wanted to bring up a positive topic not related to the game tomorrow….I’ll be glued to the TV in the garage with the smoker rolling. I am sure there are others on here who’ve have had their Bills jersey work for them randomly in public….if anyone has other random Bills fan stories to share please do!

And if you’re curious youtube The Glorious Sons…those dudes wail ☺

Go Bills!

I'm in Jersey City, NJ, and it's not to uncommon for me to pass someone wearing Bills attire. Last week I was wearing a Bills shirt, and I passed a dude also wearing a Bills shirt on the street. I did the usual smile / nod to a fellow Bills fan. He gave me kind of a dirty look. I gave him another look, and I realized he was probably homeless (judging from appearance, I could be mistaken.) Guessing that shirt was a donation.

Better luck next time?

Last week I was wearing a Bills shirt, and I passed a dude also wearing a Bills shirt on the street. I did the usual smile / nod to a fellow Bills fan. He gave me kind of a dirty look. I gave him another look, and I realized he was probably homeless (judging from appearance, I could be mistaken.) Guessing that shirt was a donation.

did he look something like this?

Ryan-Fitzpatrick.jpg

Talked to a kid on the beach here in FL wearing a Bills jersey. He was about ten, asked him if he was from Buffalo , he said no but his dad was. He said he hoped the Bills are good this year, I said me too. As I walked away I thought , the Bills have not been remotely good in this kids lifetime. And so the cycle goes on, the misery and joy of being a Bills fan.

Saw a homeless guy wearing a Thurman Thomas Dolphins jersey. Did a double take.

I...I mean a guy I know...was once wearing a kiko jersey to a tailgate at the Ralph. Along came a little lady friend who, let's just say was a big kiko fan. I no longer have the jersey but I do have this story.

Talked to a kid on the beach here in FL wearing a Bills jersey. He was about ten, asked him if he was from Buffalo , he said no but his dad was. He said he hoped the Bills are good this year, I said me too. As I walked away I thought , the Bills have not been remotely good in this kids lifetime. And so the cycle goes on, the misery and joy of being a Bills fan.

Saw a homeless guy wearing a Thurman Thomas Dolphins jersey. Did a double take.

The Bills have not made the playoffs in the lifetime of my students. I teach high schoolers.

About a year ago I was in Chicago. My girlfriend and I are walking down the street. I have a Bills hat on, and I see somebody walking with a girl towards me with a Sabres shirt on. We both see each other from a distance, preparing for the almighty go Bills/Sabres. As he got closer. Turns out it was one of my better friends little brothers. Haha. It was cool we talked for a while. Pretty random as well.

In fall 2009, my wife and I were visiting Ireland and walking through the town of Killarney. I was wearing a heavy shirt with a Bills logo on it (not a jersey, but bear with me), we turned a corner and heard someone say to me, "Hey, when are you guys going to fire Jauron?" turns out, we were passing by a couple from Chicago, who had previously endured Dick's coaching incompetence. We spent a few minutes bad-mouthing him before we went on our way. Hatred of Dick Jauron is universal!

I rock my Bills, Sabres and 'Cuse gear whenever I travel. I live in Rochester and I'm from Syracuse so its not uncommon obviously to see it here, but I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw FOUR people at Kings Island in Cincinnati over the summer. I had my Spiller. Unfortunately they were wearing McGehee, Losman, Fitz and Stevie jerseys. . Still cool though.

I left the first Dallas Super Bowl game early as I was getting sick watching that game in person. Wanted to get to bar early. I do not own jerseys , but had a bills hat on. Female cowboy fan came up and felt sympathy for our loss. The rest is history as they say, at least the rest of the night was fun.

I left the first Dallas Super Bowl game early as I was getting sick watching that game in person. Wanted to get to bar early. I do not own jerseys , but had a bills hat on. Female cowboy fan came up and felt sympathy for our loss. The rest is history as they say, at least the rest of the night was fun.

Sympathy sex, very nice. Best story yet.

I live in Bangkok and sometimes see a bit of Bills gear here and there. Don't know where it comes from or why they wear it.

I...I mean a guy I know...was once wearing a kiko jersey to a tailgate at the Ralph. Along came a little lady friend who, let's just say was a big kiko fan. I no longer have the jersey but I do have this story.

Wait, are you talking about this??

http://deadspin.com/report-from-buffalo-kiko-alonso-jersey-traded-for-blow-1459749225

I've worn Bills attire just about everywhere I have been in the world. I've worn it on the top of mountains, in front of the Eiffel Tower, and walking the Great Wall of China. That being said, I usually don't elicit a response from anyone because not that many people seem to recognize it. The one time I did was in Istanbul, Turkey. I was wearing an old Andre Reed jersey and three guys came up to be to talk about how I thought the season was going to go. I was surprised to say the least, but came to find out that they were three students who were from Buffalo originally and had been living in Istanbul on a religious pilgrimage. It was great bonding with the other side of the world over our common love of the Bills.