EJ Pre-season was a hoax

TheBackupQB

EJ was a mid-round talent. Even though he was drafted in the 1st round, that doesn't magically make him a better player. Let's just expect EJ to have the career of a mid-round QB, with less than a 5% chance of making it, instead of wondering why he's not better. He's actually just as good as he should be, just not as good as we'd expect from a 1st rounder, but that's what you get when the GM makes reaches like this out of desperation.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we don't really have a choice.

assuming the china doll makes it through 6 games uninjured, he will get his chance. no way the bills brain trust admit they screwed up when they announced all in on EJ. no matter how he plays they wont pull him in favor of Orton, who is better than EJ.

another year missing the playoffs.

but we can use our #1 pick on a QB next year.....oh wait....nevermind.

Let's see what EJ does in the Bears game. I have no idea how good or bad EJ is currently, given the very vanilla preseason play calling. You seem to have taken his play in preseason play to heart, while I see his very lackluster preseason as the Bills coaches holding back a whole lot of what they want to do.

This Bears game will tell us a lot about whether the preseason offense truly was just the Bills just playing possum.

Let's see what EJ does in the Bears game. I have no idea how good or bad EJ is currently, given the very vanilla preseason play calling. You seem to have taken his play in preseason play to heart, while I see his very lackluster preseason as the Bills coaches holding back a whole lot of what they want to do.

This Bears game will tell us a lot about whether the preseason offense truly was just the Bills just playing possum.

assuming the bills intended to go vanilla in preseason and show the Bears nothing, as they have claimed.

why did they risk injury to Sammy and EJ ?? you mean, they couldn't have accomplished vanilla in practice WITHOUT anyone taking liberties with Sammy's ribs ?? as a 28 year STH, I wanna puke.

now, I doubt Sammy plays vs Chicago. then his apologists will say EJ played mediocre because he didn't have his #1 target.

nothing changes until you have a FRANCHISE QB !! ... EJ will NEVER be that guy.

assuming the bills intended to go vanilla in preseason and show the Bears nothing, as they have claimed.

why did they risk injury to Sammy and EJ ?? you mean, they couldn't have accomplished vanilla in practice WITHOUT anyone taking liberties with Sammy's ribs ?? as a 28 year STH, I wanna puke.

now, I doubt Sammy plays vs Chicago. then his apologists will say EJ played mediocre because he didn't have his #1 target.

nothing changes until you have a FRANCHISE QB !! ... EJ will NEVER be that guy.

Manuel would have had a 5-5 record as a rookie starter (under a rookie HC and OC) were it not for the butter fingers of Johnson and Chandler in that Falcon game. You make it seem like he was 2-8 last year.

When you compare what EJ did last year, with less weapons compares to what he is did in the pre-season its hard to believe that this pre-season was anything more than a throw away. During the week, you heard how great he looks in practice with expanded playbooks...but got into a game in look horrible, when he wasnt even horrible last season....he only really had 1 terrible game ..and 1 poor game when he was healthy. I believe all the check down passes,generic passes are a hoax to lure the Bears to sleep.

Unfortunately I think that he might be regressing this year because they have him focusing so much on the details of mechanics instead of just playing football...

I don`t think we were playing possum.Got 2 Qbs cut.One put on the practice squad. Every team we played game planned for us, get real. We still sux on Offense. Don`t want to hear the history channel Marv Levy pre-season era shitz. He new what he had .

Every team we played game planned for us? In preseason? Teams just don't have the luxury when trying to evaluate rosters while getting down from 90 to 53 players. Game planning, in the true sense of the word, just doesn't happen.

That said, while preseason is vanilla season for all teams, we can't be happy with the execution we saw regardless. That is a concern.

GO BILLS!!!

When you compare what EJ did last year, with less weapons compares to what he is did in the pre-season its hard to believe that this pre-season was anything more than a throw away. During the week, you heard how great he looks in practice with expanded playbooks...but got into a game in look horrible, when he wasnt even horrible last season....he only really had 1 terrible game ..and 1 poor game when he was healthy. I believe all the check down passes,generic passes are a hoax to lure the Bears to sleep.

sure ...

I heard (WGR) he had plenty of bad practices, but that depended on if it was Murphy who said he was decent or Joe B who said he was inaccurate and made poor decisions.

they should have had him screw up a slide and fake injure his knee to really sell it.

:worthy::lol:

You can't possibly believe that teams intentionally look like crap as part of some genius strategy to unleash the beast in regular season, right? If so, why even bother playing starters at all? Scale back the playbook? Sure. But to intentionally take sacks and miss passes? Come on.

Ahhhh boy. A hoax eh? Look, I'm not saying the guy flat out sucks, but he doesn't really look that much improved after a full offseason of work and familiarity with the system. He actually seems to be staring guys down more. My concern with EJ is not the physical talent he possesses, but it is the mental side of everything. That same mental side of everything will have a lot to do with how he performs using his physical ability on the field. If he can read a defense he can step up in rythm and make the throw which he CAN do. If he's just looking for a place to get rid of the ball or locking onto one option then he is going to hesitate, mechanics could get off, he'll make throws out of rythm, and give the ball away. I hope EJ has been pulling the wool over our eyes and he really has it all down mentally because I know physically he has all the tools necessary to be a good starting QB in the NFL.

Exactly. I don't know if you saw this on Bills Mafia but it backs up what you are thinking:

Bills fans are particularly adept at spotting emotional incongruence, and calling players out when they see it. The reason we love Jim Kelly is that when he was playing, he was one of the most emotionally congruent players we ever saw in a Bills uniform.

He bled the red, white and blue. There was no question about his disappointment when he did not play well, and he was blunt about his own performance, and even about his teammates at times.

In contrast, you can see the fan base turning against Manuel already in part because the seeds of distrust have already been sown when he repeatedly refuses to authentically own his mistakes. He seems to be a man who blocks out obvious problems to the point where fans don’t have a real GPS coordinate on him as a person.