Perception of the Team. From an Ex Bills Fan

Dr. Trooth

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I value the opinion of people who I respect whether we agree or not. I have never respected the fandom of anybody that has ever switched allegiances. Your opinion is dead to me at that point. There are plenty of people on here that I respect and disagree with often. Their voice and opinion warrant debate. At the same time I don't care to have people on my side in any walk of life that turn their back when things get tough. As a Vet you should understand that better than anyone. It just speaks to character or lack thereof IMO (which I am entitled to).

I must say that the comparison of changing your favorite NFL team to a veteran "turn(ing) your back when things get tough" takes the cake. If that isn't the height of arrogance and sophistry then I'm not sure what is. Same can be said for those who invoke the name Judas in a serious manner to draw the same type parallel. This isn't war. This isn't religion. It's a freaking football team.

Now we've got people preaching what "loyalty" is based on which team you follow in a sport played by people most of us don't even know. And it's worth noting that several good posters no longer come to this board because this is the type of in-fighting we see when people can't just agree to disagree. I guess this is the "new" civility.

And I could give a damn that someone ignores me. I don't really care.

Edited by BillsVet

I must say that the comparison of changing your favorite NFL team to a veteran "turn(ing) your back when things get tough" takes the cake. If that isn't the height of arrogance and sophistry then I'm not sure what is. Same can be said for those who invoke the name Judas in a serious manner to draw the same type parallel. This isn't war. This isn't religion. It's a freaking football team.

Now we've got people preaching what "loyalty" is based on which team you follow in a sport played by people most of us don't even know. And it's worth noting that several good posters no longer come to this board because this is the type of in-fighting we see when people can't just agree to disagree. I guess this is the "new" civility.

I know. The stadium wall has gone full derp in the last year or so. Brutal analogies, assumptions and attacks because they think they know him as a person because he changed teams. Ludicrous! Only on the internet folks.

Being a Bills fan is more than just the players on the team. It's about family. Tradition. Community. Local pride. And celebrating football, win/lose/draw, with 80,000 of your best friends.

If you read what was written it was a general statement about how people respond to adversity. If you choose to go in a different direction when things get tough, go for it. At the same time I am glad not to associate with people like that. When the OP "decided" to become a Steelers fan (I don't remember ever deciding on a team) his opinion on the Bills became irrelevant.

That's all, his energy would be better served on the Steelers message board where I am sure his opinion will be valued. They are dying to hear more from people whose fandom goes all of the way back to the middle of Mike Wallace's career.

There are certain people on here (you know who you are) that just take a contrarian view on everything. You are just as bad as the eternal optimists despite arrogantly believing that you know best. The reality is that like with any team there are pros and cons. If we want to have productive discussion on this board we should discuss the issues on their own merit. What does EJ being bad have to do with the Bills ability to rush the passer? The reason that this place has declined is people's inability to objectively view the team. There are lots of people (ie the OP) that this board would be much better off without.

I love the fact that my team has never won a super bowl. All the time and emotion that i have invested over the years will make for an amazing run when the Bills do win the super bowl.

I could "change" my team and hop on some bandwagon at any point and guarantee myself a championship. That just seems really cheap to me compared with the emotional investment into one team through good and bad.

I have never lived in Buffalo (born in Fl) but my dad and his side of the family are from western NY and I have been a Bills fan since I was a kid.

I'm 26 and after plenty of chances to start rooting for the jags, bucs or dolphins I realized I would be a Bills fan for life. Winning is not the only important thing, personally I enjoy watching the games with my pops and him talking about the glory years keeps me looking forward to when we will be good again. Enjoying the positives and not letting the negative stuff bring you down is a good strategy not only for life but for following the Bills as well. And if we suck by week 10 guess who will still be watching and rooting for our team? The 95% of this board who are real fans, myself proudly included!

Same, except I am 22 and live in Texas. Here's to the next generation of Bills Fans!!! :D

I don't understand why people feel the need to bash the man for giving his perspective on our team. He came here and was honest ab him switching teams, gave the reasons why he did and wanted to offer his outlook on the bills.

I found it a refreshing change of pace from the normal stuff that's always on the main page.

Thanks for posting it

I don't understand why people feel the need to bash the man for giving his perspective on our team. He came here and was honest ab him switching teams, gave the reasons why he did and wanted to offer his outlook on the bills.

I found it a refreshing change of pace from the normal stuff that's always on the main page.

Thanks for posting it

Anyone who's ever paid any attention to my posts knows I'm bashing the people responding to him.

Thanks for posting it

could have left it at I am a steelers fan. He is no fan when you abandon your team

Could have told us how his team will suck

Edited by mead107

I would hardly be shocked if Buffalo never won the Super Bowl but there is no way I will ever miss even one tailgate until the day I die. This is not a football thing, this is a FAMILY thing going on here in Buffalo.

Exactly. I'm from Erie, PA, but my parents, who lived in Buff forever, raised me a Bills fans. Turning my back on the team isn't something I'm emotionally or physically capable of doing. Knowing their fanbase like I do, you are certainly joining the ranks of legions upon legions of bandwagoners that all pay homage to the Steelers. Screw the Steelers.

Let's go BUFF - A - LO till the end.