EJ positives

The Wiz

Also, his ball-handling skills are superb -- even on hand-offs.

I think he has all the God-given talent, intelligence and work ethic to be successful. He just has to refine those skills. The reality is that guys like Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck come around once in a blue moon -- but I bet if you look at the history of those guys you will observe that they were groomed from an early age to play the position. Even as FSU, E.J. did not play in a pro style offense, so he still has a larger learning curve to overcome. Hopefully he continues to progress -- and nuances of the position start to become more natural for him.

Let me add to your comments by saying I also hope he has a thick skin because he will be thrashed in public for every mistake he makes...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't get all the negative talk about a guy who only played 10 games?

I'm actually waiting for Watkins to get hurt again (i don't want him to, just waiting for it) so the "Sammy is injury prone" threads can start. You know it's coming.

Edited by The Wiz

I'm actually waiting for Watkins to get hurt again (i don't want him to, just waiting for it) so the "Sammy is injury prone" threads can start. You know it's coming.

Colin Cowherd was already yelling about that on his show the other day. "Watkins can't even stay healthy!!" Somehow it related to his rant about JJ Watt contract. I can't remember how because I tuned out.

The race to be right on something simple by choosing the easy answer with high odds.

How many quarterbacks ever really succeed in the NFL? And if they do succeed, how many are really great?

Just look at the QBs churned out in the AFC East, NE* notwithstanding. Now think to yourself...how much are you going out on a limb to predict that Manuel will fail?

While I've never understood it, some people just need to predict something easy so when they're right, they get to tell everyone how they were right...because that somehow makes they feel good about themselves.

that comment doh......jesus. I'm really sure this fanbase is hanging on the edge of sanity. Please EJ. Please just win game one.

"

Wayne Lester6 days ago

This is just another ploy to divert attention from the fact that we have no starting qb and no hope of making the playoffs.

The only way we can get our Bills team back on track to the playoffs and away from the 4-12 season we are on pace for this season is to make the voice of the Bills fan heard where it will be heard the loudest... in the pockets of the greedy NFL. If YOU keep paying to watch a Bills team that hasn't made the playoffs in 15 years... then thats all YOU will ever see... while the NFL laughs all the way to the bank... with YOUR money.

"You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe (like EJ will take us to the playoffs). You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole (playoff drought) goes.”

Signed,

A Bills Fan Since 1978.

PETITION:

TO THE NEW OWNER OF THE BUFFALO BILLS...

THE Doug Marone/ Nathaniel Hackett/ EJ Manuel Experiment is over and the current Bills management has failed us. We, the Buffalo Bills fans are offically protesting by refusing to pay the NFL to see an inferior football team, which has given our good city of Buffalo and the surrounding subburbs a bad reputation throughout the USA.

Signed,

A Bills Fan.

To join this protest, like this comment... and don't forget to spread the word."

lol I didn't even see that. Typical.

I'll sum it up for you:

1. Most fans believe he was a reach last year at #16 and is a "project" QB

2. Many believe he is brittle and injury prone because of the three separate knee injuries last year

3. Fans only focus on the games in which EJ struggled (@Jets, @Pitt, @TB)

4. All of the wonderfully positive bloggers in WNY kept tweeting every incomplete pass EJ threw during training camp

5. EJ led the offense to no TDs against first string defenses during preseason

6. EJ won't ever admit to playing or practicing poorly and gives robotic answers during PCs

And there's one other little item that I almost don't want to bring up, but I'm pretty certain it plays a role with the Buffalo fan base -- race. I'm from Buffalo and although I don't live there any more, I know the makeup of that city and there are a boatload of closeted (and not-so-closeted) racists in the area.

I'm willing to put it out there that if EJ were white, the level of patience fans are willing to show would be greater. Just my gut feeling. I'm an EJ supporter and believe he should be given every opportunity this year to show improvement, so I don't have a dog in that fight. But nothing else makes a lot of sense -- we're talking about a rookie who played only 9.5 games and was not terrible, and seems to be a genuinely good guy and hard worker. Why anyone who supports this team wouldn't want to let him play out this season -- to see what we have -- is beyond me.

If anyone disagrees with that last part I certainly understand, but I hope you can also respect my opinion. I've been around the block a few times and have seen my share of "latent" racism.

He's a 5 star recruit with all of the tools NFL scouts and coaches look for. At Florida State, he couldn't meet the lofty expectations but he won a lot of games and an ACC championship. He needs to put it together and can win in the NFL too. He needs to put all of the parts together and produce on the field but he needs time to do that. All young QBs in the NFL will have ups and downs...

Wonder what happens if you remove EJ's best game, and worst game last season...

TB being worst, second Jets game being best...

We end up with

142/245 - 58% - 1543 yds - 6.3 ypa - 9 TDs - 5 INTs - 80.36 QB rating

Edit: no real reason for doing this, other than an interest in seeing what happens if you take out the two "outliers".

Edit 2:

Extend the above to 16 games, you get 3086 yds - 18 TDs - 10 INTs... I could live with that if we have a strong running game, seriously.

I expect EJ to get more consistent and cut out huge mistake games as he gets experience, so this shouldn't be far from the expectation, imo.

Edited by Dorkington

I'll sum it up for you:

2. Many believe he is brittle and injury prone because of the three separate knee injuries last year

4. All of the wonderfully positive bloggers in WNY kept tweeting every incomplete pass EJ threw during training camp

6. EJ won't ever admit to playing or practicing poorly and gives robotic answers during PCs

And there's one other little item that I almost don't want to bring up, but I'm pretty certain it plays a role with the Buffalo fan base -- race. I'm from Buffalo and although I don't live there any more, I know the makeup of that city and there are a boatload of closeted (and not-so-closeted) racists in the area.

I'm willing to put it out there that if EJ were white, the level of patience fans are willing to show would be greater. Just my gut feeling. I'm an EJ supporter and believe he should be given every opportunity this year to show improvement, so I don't have a dog in that fight. But nothing else makes a lot of sense -- we're talking about a rookie who played only 9.5 games and was not terrible, and seems to be a genuinely good guy and hard worker. Why anyone who supports this team wouldn't want to let him play out this season -- to see what we have -- is beyond me.

If anyone disagrees with that last part I certainly understand, but I hope you can also respect my opinion. I've been around the block a few times and have seen my share of "latent" racism.

Now I see said the blind man

I'll sum it up for you:

Very well thought out post. :thumbsup: WRT your final point, you just know there's an elephant in the room with some Bills' fans even if they don't have the stones to admit it openly.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I'll sum it up for you:

Makes sense. I've seen the guy make throws that I easily haven't seen since at least Bledsoe.

Tenth best rookie passer rating in 20 years. I'm willing to wait and see some more...

But then again I like how the kid handles him self in press conferences and don't hate people because of their ancestry.... So maybe that's what those you refer to see that I'm missing.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood