Tipping etiquette

The Poojer

And I HATE buffet-style restaurants (e.g. Indian, or Thai) that expect you to tip. I got my own food. I even poured my own water. What the hell am I tipping you for, bringing me the check? %tip.

Cleaning up after your fat face. I hate sticky Chinese buffet tables. Patrons are notorious slobs... And complain way too much.

Anyway, just ask yourself: WWDBD?

What

Would

Drew

Brees

Do

That leaves me with... 20-25%... Oh and don't be slobs and complainers... But I know no matter what the waitress brings I shall drink in and always be full. Yeah, I will drink in and always be full

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleaning up after your fat face. I hate sticky Chinese buffet tables. Patrons are notorious slobs... And complain way too much.

Anyway, just ask yourself: WWDBD?

What

Would

Drew

Brees

Do

That leaves me with... 20-25%... Oh and don't be slobs and complainers... But I know no matter what the waitress brings I shall drink in and always be full. Yeah, I will drink in and always be full

Do you like coffee? Do you also like tea?

Small-ish, but well-done and nicely stocked. Has something of a British Colonial air to it - every time I eat there, I get the strange urge to drink a gin and tonic while wearing a pith helmet.

No bathroom? You have to pith in a helmet?

• 3 weeks later...

ok, here's one....read last night that a bar near me had a beer in bottle that is a very 'rare' beer...went to the bar and bought the bottle not to drink there, but to take home for a beer event i am attending in a week or so...guy had to go downstairs to the beer cellar to get it, brought it upstairs and rang me up, put it in a bag and i left....fairly pricey bottle, tip or not?

ok, here's one....read last night that a bar near me had a beer in bottle that is a very 'rare' beer...went to the bar and bought the bottle not to drink there, but to take home for a beer event i am attending in a week or so...guy had to go downstairs to the beer cellar to get it, brought it upstairs and rang me up, put it in a bag and i left....fairly pricey bottle, tip or not?

id treat it somewhere between a to-go order at a restaurant and a normal bar order probably (but could go a few ways, potentially based on price, atmosphere, etc....). probably a buck or two.

I put a $2 tip on it...i felt kind of cheap doing it based on the price of the bottle, but thought any more was kind of silly and nothing was kind of cheap...

id treat it somewhere between a to-go order at a restaurant and a normal bar order probably (but could go a few ways, potentially based on price, atmosphere, etc....). probably a buck or two.

I put a $2 tip on it...i felt kind of cheap doing it based on the price of the bottle, but thought any more was kind of silly and nothing was kind of cheap...

I think this is a totally up to the consumer one. Super pricey super rare- and you might go back in the future for similar? Would probably be more prone to tip a little extra knowing I might ask for a favor someday. For service itself? That's probably fine. Pulled him away from other tipping customers potentially but not for a major task.

I think a buck or two was fair.

Do you mind me asking how much the bottle was? Just curious.

Another question, when you get beer like that is it warm and then you chill it? What's handling protocol on something that? Would mishandling with temp swing wreck it?

the bottle was $30, it is a very strong beer(a quadruple) so it should remain cool to room temperature. aging it would make it that much better as the flavors mellow.

Do you mind me asking how much the bottle was? Just curious.

Another question, when you get beer like that is it warm and then you chill it? What's handling protocol on something that? Would mishandling with temp swing wreck it?

the bottle was $30, it is a very strong beer(a quadruple) so it should remain cool to room temperature. aging it would make it that much better as the flavors mellow.

I don't fault you for tipping (kind of a unique scenario)-- but speaking for my cheap self, the thought of tipping would have never even crossed my mind.

I guess that would be right... All he had to do was go downstairs and get it. I am never really sure how much to tip on stuff like that or take out. The normal 15-20% seems excessive.

I don't fault you for tipping (kind of a unique scenario)-- but speaking for my cheap self, the thought of tipping would have never even crossed my mind.

Same here!

But after reading these threads... AND if I use my card (debit/credit), NOW I usually see if there is a tip area... I will tend to go a little higher than 15% (20% on sit down) by adding the odd cents to make the final bill even.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois