Jim Kelly Displeased With QBs including EJ

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this has to be a good thing, since Jimbo has sung the praises of QBs such as Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick, and even Van Pelt in the recent past.

We're sort of approaching Ron Jaworski territory with the way Jimbo critiques QBs.

What Jim Kelly really stated today on SiriusXM (what was interesting anyway) is that he doesn't say what he really thinks about the state of the Buffalo Bills especially in terms of criticizing the QB play over the last 14 years.

When Jim Kelly was critical of EJ it was in the same realm of what John Murphy would say on his radio show. See the SiriusXM tweet. That was all of his criticism.

Nothing to see here.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Who is happy with the Bills QB play and doesn't want to see EJ step up? Even the most ardent EJ supporters are not happy with what they have seen. They are happy to see some progress and don't think he's totally at fault. And expect or hope to see him play better when the whole offense is in and the line is settled and the game planning and everything is in OVER THE COMING SEASON.

I don't think anything Kelly said is much different than 90% of the fans.

Some just already have seen the future. Miraculously.

I think this has to be a good thing, since Jimbo has sung the praises of QBs such as Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick, and even Van Pelt in the recent past.

We're sort of approaching Ron Jaworski territory with the way Jimbo critiques QBs.

once bon jovi gives jim and his bro final say on personnel, it's gonna get really ugly.

Edited by Dirtbag

These guys were pretty bad last year. I am surprised this it took the preseason for team management to realize.

Why the sudden change? I wonder what Kelly's opinion is on the coaching.

It seems like he is just sitting on the fence right now, but like I said earlier he admitted he doesn't really say his true opinions (atleast the really critical ones) to the media.

I'm surprised Jimbo is calling EJ and his displeasure with EJ out and not mentioning the play of the OL. Maybe Jimmy forgot that it's the big boys in front of the QB who are the real reason for a QB's success.

Or maybe he understands if a QB has it or not and good QB's can make lines look better? I go with JK on this one

Needless to say the entire team played poorly in that first half, and the coaching calls were also very limited.

Coaching is limited by the QB. Why would you give a guy differential equations when he struggles with HS Algebra 1? Hackett and Marone are hamstrung by a QB who cant read defenses, locks on his WR and is slow in his reads? You just cant' open up the offense when hindered by a bad QB.

Who is happy with the Bills QB play and doesn't want to see EJ step up? Even the most ardent EJ supporters are not happy with what they have seen. They are happy to see some progress and don't think he's totally at fault. And expect or hope to see him play better when the whole offense is in and the line is settled and the game planning and everything is in OVER THE COMING SEASON.

Yeah its called the past. EJ is no different mentally than Todd Collins, RJ, JP, Trent, Fitz. None of them are worth a damn. SOSDD with the Bills QB situation since the end of the 1996 season.

I think Manuel will be just fine if his coaches allow him to go through some growing pains, allowed him to throw deep into tight coverage, and allow him the room to throw a few interceptions without reprimand. The only way he becomes a good to great franchise QB is if he gets comfortable throwing and completing the deep ball to Watkins, Williams and Woods. That's when this whole team turns the corner and reaches a new level in the NFL.

I really hope that Marrone gives Manuel the breathing room to play without fear. Hackett's recent interview tells me that they might not. That will be their downfall because it seems Manuel already has the propensity to try to be too perfect. Manuel and his coaches need to loosen up. I'd like to hear what Kelly would have said to Hackett if he instructed him to just take what the defense gives you.

Coaching is limited by the QB. Hackett and Marone are hamstrung by a QB who cant read defenses, locks on his WR and is slow in his reads?

I agree with EJ locking onto a WR for too long but also disagree with Hackett being "hamstrung by his QB" cuz he doesn't use what EJ does best.

EJ can run. Maybe EJ himself doesn't want to run to risk not getting injured or maybe it's the coaches telling him, we need you for the season so don't run. Idk. Also, the way EJ throws in playaction is a thing of beauty. We need to get a good run game going so it can open up more playaction calls.

It all goes back to the OL I'm sorry. If the OL can give EJ time and open up holes for Spiller, we should have TD scoring drives instead of FGs and turnovers.

Penalties is another issue but only Marrone can fix that cuz those are mental errors and have nothing to do with physical attributes.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Exactly - well said. I am sure some people will twist Kelly's comments to mean more than is meant, but it is a pretty accurate assessment so far. I am into patience at this point but expect to see significant improvement by mid-season.

Bingo.

"To be honest, I'm not happy with any of them. I would love to see EJ come on," Kelly said. "He's a great guy. He's a great leader. I've heard him to speak to the team; I've heard him speak to the receivers before they take the field. His leadership is there. Everything is there.

rest of the Bills' quarterbacks have not yet impressed Hall of Famer Jim Kelly.

"But I have not yet seen what we all want to see. And I'm sure he feels the same way. It just hasn't happened, and hopefully that's just because of the preseason."

Kelly said the Bills' success this season will hinge on Manuel's performance.

"I'm pulling for him, and I'll continue to pull for him," Kelly said. "But that is a position without a doubt that is going to determine how the Buffalo Bills do this year. We have a good defense, great receivers, good running backs. It's up to EJ. He'll take us as far as he can, and I just hope he starts playing better."

He really didn't say anything critical of EJ based on the SiriusXm interview as this article was quoting. Jim Kelly was as political correct as Chris Brown when evaluating EJ. But if you actually heard the interview on Sirius than you can read in between the lines is that he doesn't say what he REALLY thinks.