Bills First Half vs. Bucs--broken down

Big Blitz

1st Series:

1st and 10: 5yd PA pass to Summers

2nd and 5: Spiller run for 2 yds

3rd and 5: 7 yd Slant complete to Goodwin

1st and 10: Spiller run 3 yds

2nd and 7: Incomplete swing pass to Fred (pressure---look at Fred--EJ leads him, Fred stays flat--that or bad ball)

I was yelling at Fred on this one - Manuel had defenders in the way where Fred was standing - leading him looked right, no clue why Fred didn't see that and just stood around at first

3rd and 7: Chandler trips over the 45 yd line; intercepted

3rd Series (Bucs 42)

1st and 10: Fred minus 1 yd

2nd and 11: Ball bounces off of Spiller and its picked

Don't know how they scored it in the stats, but Spiller caught it took a step and a half and then fumbled - no way that was really a pick

5th Series (our own 6 with 2:04 left in 1st):

1st and 10: Incomplete pass to sideline, ball bounces at the 12; why are 11, 10, and 84 all in same 7 yd space? Miscommunication?

2nd and 10: Spiller run for 18

1st and 10: Manuel rolls right hits Big Mike for 20 yds---his best play of the day

1st and 10: Pass complete to 84 for 7-----HOLDING on 77--bad call

1st and 20: Spiller run for 18-----HOLDING

1st and 30: Fred run minus 5

2nd and 35: Penalty on EJ for passing LOS

Manuel is running around out there because he has to avoid the pressure yet again

3rd and 40: Screen to Fred for 10

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 1 word

VANILLA

Does this mean that you expect to see more variety during the regular season, or are you concerned that what we saw is what we're going to see? I believe that it is the former, but there's quite a wide range of opinions on TBD about this.

Thanks for the recap OP.

I though CJ looked good on a couple of his runs where he was able to find a hole without having to bounce it outside. That was definitely a fumble by him though, not an INT.

The o-line was out of synch all day and it really handicapped what the offense could do. Penalties are very often drive killers and it was no exception on Saturday. Glenn gets a pass since he is just working his way back in. Henderson does too since he’s a rookie and this was his 1st start at RT. I am definitely worried about the 2 guards though. I’m holding out hope that we’ll get 5 guys in there that can gel when it counts.

I thought the Bucs d-lineman was touched down on that fumble recovery they called a TD. There were a lot of questionable or flat out bad calls in this game. I guess it’s preseason for the zebras too.

I liked that EJ brought the offense together on the sideline to try and rally them in the 2nd quarter. I would have liked to hear what he said and how he said it because when he was done, Fred went off. It left me wondering if Fred thought EJ’s message was not good enough or was he just pissed and wanted to add to it. Either way, it does show me that EJ is a leader, just maybe not a fiery one.

I think we need to find someone else besides Goodwin for kick returns. He got hurt again when he was blasted on a kick return. How many games is it now that he hasn’t been able to finish because of injury? I think we need his speed on offense so we need to make sure he’s available when that time comes. He’s fearless and that’s usually a good thing except when it consistently leads to injuries. He does us no good on the sideline.

Overall, many of our issues in the game were self inflicted and appear to be correctable. In the 1st half we were running the same basic plays over and over again. It was nice to see us come out in the 2nd half and run some different ones. I don’t expect the same vanilla calls by Hackett against Chicago.

Wow. I am absolutely stunned by the positivity in this thread. I watched the game live and came away thinking this is going to be another very long season. The offense in the first half was absolutely putrid. The reasons for not making plays do not matter much to me. Make the damned plays! I'm usaually pretty optimistic and don't panic in the pre-season, but this was really bad. Mistake after mistake after mistake. If this team plays anything like they have in the pre-season, then this season will be a step backwards and there certainly will be no playoffs again. They have a very long way to go to even be competitive IMO.

Wow. I am absolutely stunned by the positivity in this thread. I watched the game live and came away thinking this is going to be another very long season. The offense in the first half was absolutely putrid. The reasons for not making plays do not matter much to me. Make the damned plays! I'm usaually pretty optimistic and don't panic in the pre-season, but this was really bad. Mistake after mistake after mistake. If this team plays anything like they have in the pre-season, then this season will be a step backwards and there certainly will be no playoffs again. They have a very long way to go to even be competitive IMO.

I am agreement somewhat with your "bottom line" evaluation. They stunk, and couldn't get it done, irrespective of the reasons, which you note do not matter to you.

But the devil is in the details, so the reasons for failure (or success) very much matter to me, especially in preseason. Preseason is the time for evaluation without consequence--well at least with the consequence of wins and losses. An incomplete pass (for example) can be incomplete for a number of different reasons. From a coach's perspective, if you note the same reason over and over, you might be able to correct the problem. Ignoring the reasons is ignoring the situations entirely, IMO. Some fans like to evaluate more like a coach (looking to see if the issues can be corrected), Others (like you, apparently) only care about results and they're all bums if the don't get it done,

ever since the first preseason game i've been worried about the o-line. saturday did very to make me feel better. i'll be the first to admit, ej made mistakes, notably just throwing a terrible pass on the woods slant. he was behind on the pass to cj that was intercepted.

but a lot of the woes were because of other concerns. the o-line was battered, and even glenn got called an penalties, which wiped away great plays and killed drives. chandler falling down while making a cut reminded me why i wanted us to draft a real tight end. cj has always had ball security issues, and even if the ball was late he should have held onto it.

the offense was an unmitigated failure but it wasn't one player. it was everybody.

ever since the first preseason game i've been worried about the o-line. saturday did very to make me feel better. i'll be the first to admit, ej made mistakes, notably just throwing a terrible pass on the woods slant. he was behind on the pass to cj that was intercepted..

Just to nip this in the bud as it has been mis-recalled a few times on the board, that was a fumble, not an interception. EJ had one interception and that was on the pass where Chandler fell down.

The pass to CJ could have been better, for sure, but it wasn't terrible and was, in fact, caught.

ever since the first preseason game i've been worried about the o-line. saturday did very to make me feel better. i'll be the first to admit, ej made mistakes, notably just throwing a terrible pass on the woods slant. he was behind on the pass to cj that was intercepted.

but a lot of the woes were because of other concerns. the o-line was battered, and even glenn got called an penalties, which wiped away great plays and killed drives. chandler falling down while making a cut reminded me why i wanted us to draft a real tight end. cj has always had ball security issues, and even if the ball was late he should have held onto it.

the offense was an unmitigated failure but it wasn't one player. it was everybody.

2-11-TB 43 (8:58) 3-E.Manuel pass short middle to 28-C.Spiller to TB 40 for 3 yards (54-L.David). FUMBLES (54-L.David), RECOVERED by TB-59-M.Foster at TB 37. 59-M.Foster to BUF 39 for 24 yards (3-E.Manuel).

2-11-TB 43 (8:58) 3-E.Manuel pass short middle to 28-C.Spiller to TB 40 for 3 yards (54-L.David). FUMBLES (54-L.David), RECOVERED by TB-59-M.Foster at TB 37. 59-M.Foster to BUF 39 for 24 yards (3-E.Manuel).

fair enough.

but the point remains. the ball was thrown slightly behind, but spiller did a bad job reeling it in, and i'm putting the main blame on him rather than ej.

Well, in some detail:

1st Series:

1st and 10: 5yd PA pass to Summers

2nd and 5: Spiller run for 2 yds

3rd and 5: 7 yd Slant complete to Goodwin

1st and 10: Spiller run 3 yds

2nd and 7: Incomplete swing pass to Fred (pressure---look at Fred--EJ leads him, Fred stays flat--that or bad ball)

3rd and 7: Chandler trips over the 45 yd line; intercepted

2nd Series (our own 5)

1st and 10: Fred 1 yd...no blocking

2nd and 9: Fred 2 yds

3rd and 7: Pears gets destroyed--hand in EJ's face pass to Fred for 3 yds; punt

3rd Series (Bucs 42)

1st and 10: Fred minus 1 yd

2nd and 11: Ball bounces off of Spiller and its picked

4th Series (our own 18, 6:24 left in 1st--boos starting):

1st and 10: Spiller 4 yd run

2nd and 6: 15 yd Pass to Woods on a curl route, Woods SLIPS, incomplete

3rd and 6: 11 yd pass to Big Mike--nice out route on the SL

1st and 10: 10 yd curl to Big Mike broken up--incomplete

2nd and 10: Spiller no gain

3rd and 10: incomplete 20 yd to Woods; Manuel gets blasted on rush up middle; bad throw--maybe; but I like how he took hit.

5th Series (our own 6 with 2:04 left in 1st):

1st and 10: Incomplete pass to sideline, ball bounces at the 12; why are 11, 10, and 84 all in same 7 yd space? Miscommunication?

2nd and 10: Spiller run for 18

1st and 10: Manuel rolls right hits Big Mike for 20 yds---his best play of the day

1st and 10: Pass complete to 84 for 7-----HOLDING on 77--bad call

1st and 20: Spiller run for 18-----HOLDING

1st and 30: Fred run minus 5

2nd and 35: Penalty on EJ for passing LOS

3rd and 40: Screen to Fred for 10

6th Series:

1st and 10: Spiller run minus 1

2nd and 11: Pass to Smith for 7

3rd and 4: Penalty on Bucs

1st and 10: Screen to Spiller for 12 yds---PENALTY on Bills

2nd and 20: EJ's worst play of the day IMO, sack fumble TD

7th Series (our own 20 with 8:16 left in 2nd):

1st and 10: Good ball to Hogan but a great tip by Bucs LB; incomplete

2nd and 10: Spiller run for 2

3rd and 8: Sack--Left DE rush comes unabated--Henderson was supposed to "fan" b/c 84 goes for pass; but he did not. DE comes clean.

That's not on EJ b/c that wasn't an LB or DB showing blitz---that's an Oline call. All he could do was protect the ball and curl up.

8th series came with less than minute left. Who cares at that point.

Summary----the O was just out of sync. Too much shuffling on that Oline has been going on--this is going to take some time. Too many mistakes. Pears sucks. Woods and Chandler slipping. Costly penalties at the wrong time. EJ threw 2 bad balls IMO. The one where he was smacked to the ground, and that 1st pass on the 5th series---ball to no one where I mentioned 3 guys were in same area.

I'm not trying to convince you that EJ is going to fine or great. I'm just saying I feel better after watching this again and I hope after the team watches the film its clear to them to its all fixable and they still have faith in EJ. At least if Goodwin's tweet told us anything, they seem to.

I have zero faith in EJ, he is another Todd collins, RJ, JP, Trent, Fitz. This team needs to hire someone else to find a QB and leave all of our scouts and such out of it.

i saw things pretty much the same way, The OL was mostly a disaster, with the penalties in particular. But I'm hoping that is due to the shuffling of players to find the right group. Still Pears in the starting lineup makes me nervous.

EJ was better than what he is getting credit for here, I think that goes without saying,. But until we see some results, that's the way it's going to be,.

^

I have zero faith in EJ, he is another Todd collins, RJ, JP, Trent, Fitz. This team needs to hire someone else to find a QB and leave all of our scouts and such out of it.

Excellent analysis with great factual support!

Here's a question: Why did you bother to quote the entire OP when your response was completely unrelated to the post. The OP dealt in details. You deal in none.

Excellent analysis with great factual support!

Here's a question: Why did you bother to quote the entire OP when your response was completely unrelated to the post. The OP dealt in details. You deal in none.

For the sake of your health, do not hold your breath waiting for this to be posted.