Kyle Orton vs EJ Manuel

disco

If Orton was the Bills' starting QB, people would be bitching about his inability to throw deep and his penchant for coming up small in pressure situations. Orton is a good backup QB who has plateaued as a safe game manager type who can only take a team so far. I'd be happy to have at OBD him over both Tuel and Lewis of course.

You pretty much said it all right here.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Op - please modify thread title to "same freaking discussion about orton as every other retired, soon to be cut, second or third string QB pro, college high school and arena league vs ej and how they are all obviously better."

Orton, to me, is a unique case of a guy who has had a little more success than others. I wish the OP had framed it as Orton to push EJ or Orton as a #2, which makes all sorts of sense to me.

I would back up the money truck for Orton and I'm not joking. I think he would be good for our situation, even though I really don't want him as the starter. He would have made a ton more sense than Kolb. In fact, he is the guy that OBD wished Kolb could have been.

I want Orton.

If Orton comes, he starts. He is just too much better than our QBs to sit the bench.

EJ refuses to throw the ball downfield. He seems to "look" downfield only to give the backs enuf time to get open in the flat.

And dont give me that crap about "oh, how do you know what play was called? Blah blah blah." EJ hasnt even tried. He doesnt WANT to throw downfield. He wants to throw to guys who are obviously open.

I agree, he starts

I'd sign Orton. Orton would need some time to learn the offense which would give EJ time to prove he's ready to step up.

I'm not sure how long I'd wait but at some point if EJ wasn't producing, I'd hand things over to Orton (who is not a bad QB).

Even if Orton didn't end up starting, he'd be a good mentor for EJ and an insurance policy if EJ got hurt.

Here's a better question: who is better, Kyle Orton after he completed his rookie year, or EJ after he completed his rookie year?

It's not even close.

I'd sign Orton. Orton would need some time to learn the offense which would give EJ time to prove he's ready to step up.

I'm not sure how long I'd wait but at some point if EJ wasn't producing, I'd hand things over to Orton (who is not a bad QB).

Even if Orton didn't end up starting, he'd be a good mentor for EJ and an insurance policy if EJ got hurt.

I think

In no situation other than a train wreck does a guy arrive in week 4 of the preseason and start. That's delusional thinking.

...we just went 4 pre-season games with the starters not scoring a touchdown against other starters. It might be a train wreck. But point taken, he's not starting week 1. If our offense doesn't show up for 3 weeks, he could start week 4 though.

It really is odd to me that they saw what happened with the lack of a quality backup QB last year (in starting both Tuel and Lewis) and didn't address it this year. Signing Dixon is not addressing the situation. I understand last year the plan was to have Kolb and he got hurt. Fine, things happen. But what's the excuse for this year? It seems totally irresponsible.

Edited by disco

But what's the excuse for this year? It seems totally irresponsible.

I tend to agree with this half of your post. I am not so worried about performance against the 1s given that other teams haven't had to face our full crew of 1s either (Watkins + Woods being on the field at the same time, for example).