kareem abdul-jabbars opinion piece on ferguson

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a white person I would not presume to speak about what it means to be black. I will never know. Any more than a man can understand what it's like to be a woman, or vice versa. Even when the environments are "equal" there will be differences. I don't live in Ferguson (thank God) so I don't know if the cops are racist, one way or another. I do believe that equipping local deputy dawgs with military equipment is a mistake. It's not like Al Qaeda or ISIS is going to attack their little town. And I wonder if all that military stuff might have an impact on how police approach situations. But, again, I'm not there so I don't know. I do know that when I watch COPS I see all sorts of people grappling with officers and I've never once seen one get shot.

I love how you started your post with all that Check Your Privilege crap. But then when it came the topic of the police, you reference what you have seen on COPS.

Bad boys bad boys, whatchya gonna do...

:rolleyes:

I do know that when I watch COPS I see all sorts of people grappling with officers and I've never once seen one get shot.

And I've lived in three different places in New Jersey and I've never been attacked by a telephone pole...

:wacko:

so john oliver brings this http://usnews.nbcnew...es-some-hackles up in his show. and i'm thinking, like any other rational person, why did this happen? and i come up with 2 things: to respond to impending riots in cities within a few hours drive or to line the pockets of the military equipment manufacturers. during "peace time" what am i missing? it's about justice right? or terrorism. somebody actually said that keene's pumpkin festival was ripe for terrorist activity. well, not exactly the words but that was the gist.

some bostonians noticed http://www.boston.co...soAL/story.html

c'mon libertarians, this is a big fat softball...

Edited by birdog1960

the guy's a social commentary genius. watch it if even for only the comedic value http://www.slate.com...tion_video.html

He's a social commentary genius to you because he's saying what you want to hear. By the time he started going off about the prisoner in 2009 who ended up bloodied and had officers complaining he got blood on their uniforms, it became clear what folks like me knew long before we wasted time watching his tripe: he finds success from dishing pre-strained low-hanging progressive fruit to fools like yourself, who gobble it up, declare how delicious it is, then spend hours repeatedly telling everyone how great John Oliver is.

Case in point:

so john oliver brings this http://usnews.nbcnew...es-some-hackles up in his show.

You better hope gatorman shows up because you're pulling the brass ring of idiocy from his moronic clutches.

now that is scary if not a doctored picture. i saw that a similar sign was posted at the white house fence. our middle east policy is and has been a mess.

The one at the White House was someone holding up a cell phone with the ISIS flag and taking a picture...then posting that picture to some social media site. This one from Ferguson could be real, or fake, or a sign that says Crisis here that is not being held properly. I'm sure it will be investigated.

Personally I don't blame the US for things ISIS does. Not Bush and not Obama. You know who I blame?

People who would like your head to be rolling down a flight of stairs, that's who.

Edited by 4merper4mer

He's a social commentary genius to you because he's saying what you want to hear. By the time he started going off about the prisoner in 2009 who ended up bloodied and had officers complaining he got blood on their uniforms, it became clear what folks like me knew long before we wasted time watching his tripe: he finds success from dishing pre-strained low-hanging progressive fruit to fools like yourself, who gobble it up, declare how delicious it is, then spend hours repeatedly telling everyone how great John Oliver is.

Case in point:

You better hope gatorman shows up because you're pulling the brass ring of idiocy from his moronic clutches.

the show aired sunday. there are more than 2mm hits on his ferguson piece. on youtube. how many watched it on hbo like me? he's a difference maker.

but what am i missing about an anti terrorist police vehicle in keene nh?

Edited by birdog1960

the show aired sunday. there are more than 2mm hits on his ferguson piece. on youtube. how many watched it on hbo like me? he's a difference maker.

No he's not. What difference is he making? He's telling you exactly what you want to hear. He's the exact antithesis of a difference maker.

I was discussing this case with my mom and I posed to her the question, what if my brother had decided to be a cop, ended up in a tight situation where he shot, honestly believing it was kill or be killed, and then morons across the country were accusing him of murder and demanding he go to prison for the rest of his life.

I'm curious what the outlook of Birddog and the like have to say to that. How do you people hold yourself up as decent, much less virtuous, people when you're calling for the head of a man based on speculation?

Do you people have some info the rest of us have been deprived of that make you sure this guy shot a black kid because shooting black kids gets his dick hard? Or are you just assuming because it fits your prejudice?

Edited by Rob's House

but what am i missing about an anti terrorist police vehicle in keene nh?

Please, There's a cat playing the piano on Monday that has more hits than him. Your desire to lift him higher than a piano-playing cat literally makes me wish you were, instead, trying to explain that Bill Nye is an authority on global warming cooling climate change. In fact, I'd be more harsh but I would hate for everyone see you go Chris Crocker on us, screaming "Leave John Oliver alone!" at a video camera while mascara runs down your face.

Come to think of it, even THAT would get more than 2mm hits.

:w00t:

Anybody know the best way to get iced tea off a computer screen?

I think you can use a paper towel moron.

Are you the idiot that asked this question?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AwrBT8xNq_RTrekA6xzBGOd_;_ylu=X3oDMTE0amI4c3JzBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1RBVVMwNDlfMQ--?qid=20061001021835AAXrqqd

Drive by posters that spew insults are cowards. Afraid to post something they know they are not smart enough to back up. Dumb

No he's not. What difference is he making? He's telling you exactly what you want to hear. He's the exact antithesis of a difference maker.

firstly, he's a foil to the morons at fox. secondly, he's speaking to a generally more influential demographic, thirdly, he's not constrained by advertisers since he's on hbo. it may be what i want to hear but it's not what a great many want to hear. he's the howard beal of the present with decent comedy blended in.

thank goodness murdoch's attempt to acquire time warner failed.

most important to this discussion, he's right on in his analysis here vis a vis the militarization of police and unequal justice. and many people are watching. the fact that many watch piano playing cats doesn't distract from his success. to pull that many views from that demographic is quite a feat. hbo demographics, not so much of a feat.

I think you can use a paper towel moron.

Are you the idiot that asked this question?

https://answers.yaho...01021835AAXrqqd

Drive by posters that spew insults are cowards. Afraid to post something they know they are not smart enough to back up. Dumb

That is one thing I have to give you credit for is your unassailable courage in constantly posting things you're not smart enough to back up.

Not a lick of common sense to it...but brave as hell, I'll give you that.

firstly, he's a foil to the morons at fox. secondly, he's speaking to a generally more influential demographic, thirdly, he's not constrained by advertisers since he's on hbo. it may be what i want to hear but it's not what a great many want to hear. he's the howard beal of the present with decent comedy blended in.

No he isn't a Howard Beal. He's treading the same turf that Daily Show and Colbert Report have successfully mined by preaching to his choir.

That is one thing I have to give you credit for is your unassailable courage in constantly posting things you're not smart enough to back up.

Not a lick of common sense to it...but brave as hell, I'll give you that.

And I'll give you credit for constantly posting