kareem abdul-jabbars opinion piece on ferguson

Bureau of justice statistics - Data from the Arrest-Related Deaths (ARD) component of the Deaths in Custody Reporting Program (DCRP) represent a national accounting of persons who have died during the process of arrest from 2003 through 2009.

Highlights:

• A total of 4,813 deaths were reported to the Arrest-Related Deaths program from January 2003 through December 2009.
  • Of reported arrest-related deaths, 61% (2,931) were classified as homicides by law enforcement personnel, 11% (541) were suicides, 11% (525) were due to intoxication, 6% (272) were accidental injuries, and 5% (244) were attributed to natural causes.
  • State and local law enforcement agencies employing 100 or more full-time sworn personnel accounted for 75% of the 4,813 arrest-related deaths reported during 2003-2009.
  • Among reported arrest-related deaths, 42% of persons were white, 32% were black, and 20% were Hispanic.

Do you think that maybe you should provide a link or is this another case of you just wanting to get away with cherry picking data?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you look it up yourself you complete worthless dumb ass

You just don't get it do you? When someone starts quoting or does a copy/paste on specific data they need to provide a link. Without doing so they are stealing someone else's work. Lyrbob needs to provide a link---I don't need to search for his source. Now, don't you feel foolish for spouting off in such a childish way when in fact you were wrong?

Edited by 3rdnlng

Bureau of justice statistics - Data from the Arrest-Related Deaths (ARD) component of the Deaths in Custody Reporting Program (DCRP) represent a national accounting of persons who have died during the process of arrest from 2003 through 2009.

Highlights:

• A total of 4,813 deaths were reported to the Arrest-Related Deaths program from January 2003 through December 2009.
  • Of reported arrest-related deaths, 61% (2,931) were classified as homicides by law enforcement personnel, 11% (541) were suicides, 11% (525) were due to intoxication, 6% (272) were accidental injuries, and 5% (244) were attributed to natural causes.
  • State and local law enforcement agencies employing 100 or more full-time sworn personnel accounted for 75% of the 4,813 arrest-related deaths reported during 2003-2009.
  • Among reported arrest-related deaths, 42% of persons were white, 32% were black, and 20% were Hispanic.

Quite an interesting statistic here. Based on your numbers an average of 370 people are killed via homicide (the only number that is relative to this topic). Well I looked it up and an average of 370 people a year are struck by lightening. Interesting.

http://askville.amazon.com/people-struck-lightning-yearly/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=12011934

Quite an interesting statistic here. Based on your numbers an average of 370 people are killed via homicide (the only number that is relative to this topic). Well I looked it up and an average of 370 people a year are struck by lightening. Interesting.

http://askville.amaz...uestId=12011934

I notice that the statistic does not reflect how many of those killed by white lightning were unarmed black teenagers.

I notice that the statistic does not reflect how many of those killed by white lightning were unarmed black teenagers.

Little known fact: fully a third of people killed by lightning strikes are carrying Skittles at the time...

Highlights:

uh huh, and what does all of that mean? how many were not killed? what % of each race is actually arrested and not killed in comparison? are more whites killed % than other races? what if there are less whites killed? should we kill more asians to balance it out? or just arrest more and let nature do its thing?

Holder is en route to NOAA to petition the unfair singling out of weather upon minorities.

January 2003 to Dec 2009 is 7years, 2931 divided by 7 = 418.7 but maybe you're using that fuzzy math that is so fashionable with the kids now.

January 2003 to Dec 2009 is 7years, 2931 divided by 7 = 418.7 but maybe you're using that fuzzy math that is so fashionable with the kids now.

So one has a slightly better chance of being a victim of homicide while in policy custody than being struck by lightening. My apologies.

So one has a slightly better chance of being a victim of homicide while in policy custody than being struck by lightening. My apologies.

This might be the very stupidest thing I've read on PPP

*this is, of course, excluding anything azale, 3rdthing or Joyboy have ever said

Edited by gatorman

This might be the very stupidest thing I've read on PPP

*this is, of course, excluding anything azale, 3rdthing or Joyboy have ever said

Thank you for putting me in with such esteemed posters, Azalin and jboyst excluded of course.