Anybody else digging the new point after TD rule?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So get rid of the automatic 1 point and make 2pt conversions the norm?

I think the move has been good but at the same time it doesn't give a team the option of faking it. Faking from the 2 is a bit easier than faking from the 15.

From a percentage stance it changed from 99.5 to 95. Not a big drop but that's about 4 times per weekend from what I've read.

Good point I hadn't considered. Well any change will have its drawbacks. And we didn't really get too many fakes in the past. Still it is something to consider.

I still like this better than the auto from the 2. And in bad weather the kick from the 15 may not longer be close to automatic.

Edited by The Dean

Good point I hadn't considered. Well any change will have its drawbacks. And we didn't really get too many fakes in the past. Still it is something to consider.

I still like this better than the auto from the 2. And in bad weather the kick from the 15 may not longer be close to automatic.

I like it better also. Although faking from the 15 does give you more field to play with now that I think about it. Granted you have 1 maybe 2 receivers running for the pass you still probably have 10 guys in the box.

I guess it would depend on the situation but faking on your first drive in a 0-0 game seems like it would be favorable vs being down by 1 or 2 late in the game.

What if you tell the refs you want to go for 2, do you get to do it from the 2 yard line? I have asked this question before and even after the first 2 games no one seems to answer it. It would only seem fair that way to me and that ruins the surprise. I kind of still don't like the rule for that reason and the fact that cold weather (open roof) teams would be at a disadvantage (or advantage depending how you look at it) during the cold months. Needs the kinks worked out IMO.

I think they should give teams options on where to spot the ball. But the closer you put it the farther back you move the kickoff. If you take it at the 2 u kickoff from your 20, 15 then you kick from the 35, 25 you can kick from the 45. 2 point conversions are from whatever spot you pick.

Maybe change the kickoff points from what I suggested as I haven't thought it all the way through. But I think you get the idea.

I don't like it. It ain't broke, don't fix it. Its just change for the sake of change IMHO. I keep hearing its More drama. Im not starving for drama in an NFL game.

Besides, kickers will work on that distance every day and it will become as automatic as what we got now. Why bother?

I think it somewhat reduces the concept of the 2 pointer. Either take your "gimme" extra point, or risk it for an extra one. When that "gimme" is no longer a (virtually)sure thing the concept is thrown out.

I personally would prefer the PAT to be totally removed. TDs would be worth 7 pts......or 6pts if one opts to try for a 2 pointer. JMHO

Edited by Dibs

I think it somewhat reduces the concept of the 2 pointer. Either take your "gimme" extra point, or risk it for an extra one. When that "gimme" is no longer a (virtually)sure thing the concept is thrown out.

I personally would prefer the PAT to be totally removed. TDs would be worth 7 pts......or 6pts if one opts to try for a 2 pointer. JMHO

While I don't like rules that take ST out of the game, I think maybe 7 (or 6) points for a TD with an extra point option. But the person who scored the TD must be involved in the extra point(s) should they go for it/them. Run, pass, catch or kick the ball. Just an idea I heard that I thought was interesting. Haven't really given it a lot of thought though,

No... stop messing with the game NFL! And the new rule on DB's and taunting has to go also, penalty's on every other play sucks.

so get rid of the two point conversion, bring back spearing, head slapping, hitting defenseless receivers, horse collar tackles, qb sliding and move the goal posts back to the middle of the endzones in the field of play. got it

do you take the airbags out of your car too? all these silly new age things....

• 2 weeks later...

From my understanding the exercise was implemented to evaluate the impact it would have on the game. Once the results were gathered, the information would be used in order to discover whether or not the new rule would have an impact on the game overall. With the facts now present, it is clear that the new rule has had the desired effect.

I am all for doing away with the current extra point "gimme". I don't much care if they institute the longer 1 point kick or go with something different. But I am totally sick of the standard too short to miss extra point kick. And I would like them to do something different with kickoffs too. It is so boring to watch them kick it out of the back of the endzone. Maybe they should spot it at the 30 if you kick it so far it goes out of the endzone. That would force more returns.

The problem with the kicking game is not with the distance of the extra point, or the height, width, and distance in the end zone of the goal posts.

The problem with the kicking game is the holder.

Make everything a drop kick.

Extra points no longer automatic.

No 47 yard field goal attempts in overtime on a frozen field in the playoffs.

Just my .02

I don't like it. It ain't broke, don't fix it. Its just change for the sake of change IMHO. I keep hearing its More drama. Im not starving for drama in an NFL game.

Come on, nothing says football like the drama of having more games decided by a missed extra point! Plus, you just know that sort of thing will only happen to teams like New England and Pittsburgh!

For those who just plain insist on changing things to make their less boring, Tom Coughlin had the best idea --- move the LOS from the 2 to the 1.