Sorry, but you can't have it both ways!

I don't know why I feel the need to preface this post with a disclaimer, but--I think the Bills will go 7-9 this year. I am a pessimist, or a "realist", if you will. With that being said...

To those of you who want a new coaching staff, a new qb, or any other drastic changes after last night's game:

If we are going to put that much stock into a preseason contest (which, by the way, was the 3rd time we have scrimmaged the same team in the last 3 days), then you have to look at the game as a whole--including, you know, the result of the actual game.

In that case, the Bills drove the length of the field in the final 3 minutes, tied the game with a field goal, forced a turnover on D inside a minute left, and had a chance to win on the road against the Pittsburgh Steelers. This after a first half in which we were one blown coverage away from being tied at the half. Now, since we are all obviously putting so much stock into this contest, we must compare these results to the last time we played a meaningful game against the Steelers: Which in this case means last season, when we lost 23-10, in Pittsburgh, in the absolute worst performance of the season.

So, by using these two games (which are both equally meaningful to one another, as we would all agree by looking at the posts on the front page) to judge the Bills against each other, we can see that:

a) Our defense has improved by leaps and bounds--With Schwartz leading this D, that could be good enough for 3 or 4 more wins.

b) We've improved to the point where we may be able to win 1 or 2 additional road games

c) Manuel did not look in over his head, flustered, or unable to read defenses like he did last season in Pittsburgh

and

d) Our LG, top WR were both out, and will likely be ready to go week 1

So, it's your choice:

either last night mattered--in which case the Bills have made significant progress from last season, and with the amount of close games they were in last year, an ounce of progress could be worth a pound of wild card tickets

or

last night didn't matter--in which case, please refrain from posting about the Bills being doomed until at least week 3

Now, because it's twobillsdrive.com, feel free to dodge the issue and passive-aggressively criticize my use of italics.

Edited by JohnnyGold

I love that. We can't have it both ways. I know that this is only preseason and Coach Marrone has one main job: To put our players in a position to succeed. Right now he's evaluating the players and schemes.

I don't know why I feel the need to preface this post with a disclaimer, but--I think the Bills will go 7-9 this year. I am a pessimist, or a "realist", if you will. With that being said...

To those of you who want a new coaching staff, a new qb, or any other drastic changes after last night's game:

If we are going to put that much stock into a preseason contest (which, by the way, was the 3rd time we have scrimmaged the same team in the last 3 days), then you have to look at the game as a whole--including, you know, the result of the actual game.

In that case, the Bills drove the length of the field in the final 3 minutes, tied the game with a field goal, forced a turnover on D inside a minute left, and had a chance to win on the road against the Pittsburgh Steelers. This after a first half in which we were one blown coverage away from being tied at the half. Now, since we are all obviously putting so much stock into this contest, we must compare these results to the last time we played a meaningful game against the Steelers: Which in this case means last season, when we lost 23-10, in Pittsburgh, in the absolute worst performance of the season.

So, by using these two games (which are both equally meaningful to one another, as we would all agree by looking at the posts on the front page) to judge the Bills against each other, we can see that:

a) Our defense has improved by leaps and bounds--With Schwartz leading this D, that could be good enough for 3 or 4 more wins.

b) We've improved to the point where we may be able to win 1 or 2 additional road games

c) Manuel did not look in over his head, flustered, or unable to read defenses like he did last season in Pittsburgh

and

So, it's your choice:

either last night mattered--in which case the Bills have made significant progress from last season, and with the amount of close games they were in last year, an ounce of progress could be worth a pound of wild card tickets

or

last night didn't matter--in which case, please refrain from posting about the Bills being doomed until at least week 3

Now, because it's twobillsdrive.com, feel free to dodge the issue and passive-aggressively criticize my use of italics.

By far my favorite post in awhile. Agreed JG.

The "chicken littles" aka the "sky is falling crowd" aka the "pessimists" aka the "realists" might do well to be more pragmatic and level headed like yourself. Makes the board more enjoyable.

Holy crap. A post that makes sense. I haven't even seen the game yet. It's preseason. Relax y'all. Fact is: So far this team (and yes our QB) seems better and more expereinced. Will they make it to the Super Bowl. Probably not. Will the Bills make it to the playoff's. I wouldn't be shocked if they did or didn't. I do expect when it is all said and done for them to be a better football team with a better record than last year.

The regular season is all that matters. This is a team and a QB who need as many reps as they can get in the preseason. the media make it look like the sky is falling based on a few drives against a defense that totally know what is coming. half of these players will not see the field in the regular season. preseason games are great for the coaches, terrible and misleading for the fans and the media.

bottom line is if EJ plays reasonably well and the team stays reasonably healthy, they should be very competitive this year and certainly thereafter, plus a new owner will help attract top management and coaching talent based on stable ownership and franchise location.

Edited by 8and8Forever

No one says the sky is falling...but did you watch EJ last night? Twice he ran it to the right side and threw the ball on the run for incompletions.

They were set plays and he couldnt hit the broad side of a barn

But I realize, its year 2. Im patient. Not a big deal. Honestly. Last year he had great games and showed promise.

My thoughts (without following the OP's yea or nay set up) is as follows:

1) I would have liked to have seen more consistency at this point from EJ. Early indications are that EJ is not going to be a pin point passer (ala Big Ben's demonstration last night.) Luckily we have receivers who can make plays on errant passes.

2) Back-up QB play is dreadful and the FO needed to address that with a vet signing instead of trying not to" threaten" young EJ.

3) I still think Hackett is in over his head and his play-calling remains suspect.

4) Quit dicking around with the receivers and put Woods on the field.

5) The D should be fine but great QBs like Big Ben will exploit our much improved run defense LBs with slants, etc and Schwartz needs to address that, particularly with the pass rush being sacrificed to a degree to provide for better run D, which we really needed.

6) Move Cyrus Cementfoot to guard and let's salvage something from what is shaping up to be a 2nd round whiff.

7) Jesus...just cut Legursky

8) The italics were fine

No one says the sky is falling...but did you watch EJ last night? Twice he ran it to the right side and threw the ball on the run for incompletions.

They were set plays and he couldnt hit the broad side of a barn

But I realize, its year 2. Im patient. Not a big deal. Honestly. Last year he had great games and showed promise.

The problem you have with this game is the Bills just practiced against the Steelers twice. It's like basically playing 2 games then they had a day to digest what they saw in those 2 days/games.

By all accounts EJ torched the Steelers on Thursday, which I'm sure they weren't happy with. But we fans didn't get to see that on TV.

I know they say no one game plans for pre season, but there is no way the steelers didn't come into Saturday prepared.

1. We sure need help behind EJ, and I'm moving QB to P2 on Drafttek's Positional Priorities, but since we don't have a RD1 pick as yet, it's probably moot. We need a vet (vereran, and yes maybe a veterinarian).

2. We didn't put in a system for the Steelers. What you saw was pure player evaluation, and we learned a lot more about depth behind various positions. I'm much more comfortable about our DLine depth than I was before the game, for example.

Do you think the steelers game planned against us Astro ? I don`t think so. Goes both ways. 1st team QB play was the difference. No matter who played for who. Field goals versus TDs. I`m sick of the he has more exp talk. Just shut up and do it. Hitting open receivers,high throws and poor field vision is what EJ needs to work on. Even Tuel goes through his reads. Stop and watch him . He scans the field.

2. We didn't put in a system for the Steelers. What you saw was pure player evaluation, and we learned a lot more about depth behind various positions. I'm much more comfortable about our DLine depth than I was before the game, for example.

That is what it looked like, but at the same time is inconsistent with Marrone's "win now" philosophy that he has been talking about of late. Also inconsistent with him kicking the field goal to tie the game late to setup overtime.

I am in agreement with some posts above that Manuel and the 1st offense in general had at best a mediocre game (missing Watkins didn't help) and the 1st D got abused badly by the stiller 1st O. The Bills starters are going to have to be much better than they showed last night a few short weeks from now.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I suggest people get a hold of the condensed version of the game, and watch it again. I watched it last night, and I was very disappointed. Just watched it again with the condensed version on Preseason Live this morning, and it wasn't as bad as it felt. The sky isn't falling.

Edited by What a Tuel

You know what I cant STAND is that we make these comparisons, about EJ's stats and other QB's he completes 60+ % of his passes, and everyone goes well he's not a pin point passer and he has WR's who make him look good... REALLY Why don't you get a clue and watch I DUNNO EVERY OTHER QB in the G)(&*(*& League? THEY ALL Make errant throws that their WR's snag that make them look good. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE throws a perfect pass every time. IF they did you and I could play wr.

According to TG the offense took a step backwards last night? Really? OMG. Ej has show steady improvement in every game so Far... need to get it into endzone.. I agrree. bUt I mean dome on!!

You know what I cant STAND is that we make these comparisons, about EJ's stats and other QB's he completes 60+ % of his passes, and everyone goes well he's not a pin point passer and he has WR's who make him look good... REALLY Why don't you get a clue and watch I DUNNO EVERY OTHER QB in the G)(&*(*& League? THEY ALL Make errant throws that their WR's snag that make them look good. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE throws a perfect pass every time. IF they did you and I could play wr.

According to TG the offense took a step backwards last night? Really? OMG. Ej has show steady improvement in every game so Far... need to get it into endzone.. I agrree. bUt I mean dome on!!

Maybe, but look at the days Garropalo, Bridgewater and Nassib had yesterday. If comparing EJ to an established QB gets your panties in a knot, compare him to rooks and 2nd year guys. Accuracy is an issue here and we're all hoping EJ improves.

and

So, it's your choice:

or

A voice of light in the darkness........seriously op

I assumed this was going to be a "yes run d looked good but pass rush and coverage was not so much...."

I personally don't worry too much yet... But I don't think Searcey or Duke are going to be very good starting safeties

As an aside, when Antonio brown blew by everyone, there was only one guy in coverage who was fast enough to even appear to close. Did you see who? 53? I was shocked.. Bradham has wheels.

Back to the original point; people want instant solutions matter how long it takes to find the winning combination.

There are very few overnight success stories in the NFL.

No the Stillers didn't "game plan", but after scrimmaging/practicing with against a QB for 2 or 3 days, they may start to pick up on his tendancies and nuances.

I am not worried, EJ still shows continuous improvement,

Edited by bonechiller

No the Stillers didn't "game plan", but after scrimmaging/practicing with against a QB for 2 or 3 days, they may start to pick up on his tendancies and nuances.

I am not worried, EJ still shows continuous improvement,

If they didn't game plan, then why, after being lit up on Thursday, did they keep dropping seven into coverage?

I know these are some vanilla, make believe games. But, not surprisingly, many, many QBs (this past weekend) seemed to have good performances. Even with pared back playbooks and positional flux. I think that's where the panic comes from. And EJ has has an extended camp and an extra game.

B. Roethlisberger 8/11 128 11.6 2 0 0-0 150.8

A. Rodgers 11/13 128 9.8 1 0 0-0 133.3

S. Bradford 9/12 101 8.4 1 0 0-0 127.4

R. Nassib 11/15 158 10.5 1 0 0-0 129.3

A. Luck 12/18 89 4.9 1 0 0-0 96.8

T. Romo 4/5 80 16.0 1 0 0-0 158.3

J. Flacco 9/17 113 6.6 1 0 0-0 93.5

A. Dalton 8/8 144 18.0 1 0 0-0 158.3

T. Bridgewater 16/20 177 8.9 2 0 1-8 136.9

M. Cassel 12/16 153 9.6 1 0 0-0 125.3

B. Bortles 11/17 160 9.4 0 0 0-0 95.2

C. Henne 12/17 130 7.6 1 0 1-7 112.4

J. Cutler 7/9 75 8.3 1 0 0-0 138.4

B. Roethlisberger 8/11 128 11.6 2 0 0-0 150.8

A. Smith 14/22 127 5.8 0 0 2-18 79.2

R. Fitzpatrick 9/12 97 8.1 1 0 0-0 126.0

Edit: some starting QBs are not listed because they didn't play or had limited reps.

Edited by quinnearlysghost88