Pegula is a Buffalo guy, right? And Russ Brandon is a Buffalo guy, r

Tipster19

So is it inconceivable that if Terry Pegula does in fact buy the Bills that he keeps Brandon? Brandon has been so committed in keeping the franchise in this community. I like the way he looks out for the Bills' welfare and believe that his loyalty is unquestionable to the franchise and community. I also really like the job that he has been doing since the passing of Ralph Wilson. Here's a vote for retaining Brandon & Co after the new ownership takes over, whoever that may be.

I just completely fail to see why ANYONE wants failure to be rewarded. Those of us who'd like to see the Bills be good again cannot wait to Brandon is selling insurance somewhere.

Brandon is an assclown. The 2009 season when he was installed as GM was the most chaotic in memory. He then leads a search process to find a "football guy" to replace him as GM and it consists of John Guy (out of the NFL) and Buddy Nix. Brandon then hires (or okays) failed ACC head coach Chan Gailey (out of the NFL).

Then in 2013, he pretends as though he is starting anew as head of the organization even though he'd been installed as CEO since Buddy Nix was hired.

He is a con man. And the greatest con of all is having all of you on this board support him despite the terrible team and organizational disarray he's delivered for you.

Logic of Guys on this board:

Russ Brandon is good at keeping me interested in the Bills despite the fact that the team sucks.

Therefore, he is good at his job and should be retained.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Russ will stay and he should stay. The guy is passionate, bright, intelligent and has done a lot of good for the organisation. People talk about his hires of Buddy and Chan.... do you people realise what a mockery the Buffalo Bills were around the league in 2009? People didn't want those jobs. They hired Buddy who was a solid football guy (if a little old fashioned and behind certain trends) and then they went about putting a succession plan in place and finding a bright young thing as the long term answer. When the time came and that bright young thing took the reigns they backed him in attracting two other highly rated young personnel guys from other NFL teams in Calvin Fisher and Jim Monos. Russ Brandon gets it..... I think and sincerely hope that he (and Pegula if indeed that is who ends up in control) understand that the way you build winners is not by spinning wheels every time something doesn't work. That sometimes yields results, but only in the way a broken clock is sometimes telling the right time. It is the equivalent of throwing mud at a wall and seeing what sticks. Whaley and his team must be retained it is absolutely crucial for the long term success of the team. Then you look at the Head Coach and of course then it becomes purely a results business.

But Brandon has modernised so much about the Bills in recent years. If I was Pegula I'd be making it absolutely clear to Russ that he was safe, albeit he is obviously going to have to answer to somebody now in a way that arguably he hasn't been since January 2013.

This has Littman written ALL of it. This is a microcosm of why people had issues with "ownership." It was really Littman that had been the decision maker prior to Russ gaining control in 2013.

The owner is the boss. He structured the business in the way he wanted. There is no doubt that Littman was the most influential person in the franchise, as he was very influential in all of Ralph's businesses. Oberdorf's responsibility was to work within the budget established by Littman and structure the contracts to stay within the cash flow paramaters.

When Littman and Polian tussled and it got out of control there was no doubt who was going to go. The core of the poisonous duels between them was money. Polian thought it shackled him and he couldn't contain his temper over his frustration. There are many facets to Polian's departure that had to do with his volcanic personality and the prickly manner he dealt with people, including the owner but the substative issue was resources and how Littman handled the finances.

The owner was an astute businessman. He got very capable business advice from very smart business people, most notably Littman, and he not only trusted their judgment but took their advice. It's interesting to observe that within the franchise's long history the business people were anchors who didn't move while within the football side of the business the staff continuously turned over on a regular basis. The business side was stable while the football operation was very unstable.

The bottom line is that the owner, the boss, established the structure of the franchise the way he wanted it and he stuck with it for more than a half century. In my view there is now hope because Russ Brandon represents a modern way of running a franchise, a refreshing change.

Edited by JohnC

The owner is the boss. He structured the business in the way he wanted. There is no doubt that Littman was the most influential person in the franchise, as he was very influential in all of Ralph's businesses. Oberdorf's responsibility was to work within the budget established by Littman and structure the contracts to stay within the cash flow paramaters.

When Littman and Polian tussled and it got out of control there was no doubt who was going to go. The core of the poisonous duels between them was money. Polian thought it shackled him and he couldn't contain his temper over his frustration. There are many facets to Polian's departure that had to do with his volcanic personality and the prickly manner he dealt with people, including the owner but the substative issue was resources and how Littman handled the finances.

The owner was an astute businessman. He got very capable business advice from very smart business people, most notably Littman, and he not only trusted their judgment but took their advice. It's interesting to observe that within the franchise's long history the business people were anchors who didn't move while within the football side of the business the staff continuously turned over on a regular basis. The business side was stable while the football operation was very unstable.

The bottom line is that the owner, the boss, established the structure of the franchise the way he wanted it and he stuck with it for more than a half century. In my view there is now hope because Russ Brandon represents a modern way of running a franchise, a refreshing change.

Excellent post and I couldn't agree more!

Tough to say. One could easily argue that first Sabres decision horribly blew up in his face and only once he cleaned house was his team is now on the right track.

IMO, we don't know what El Petulante thinks about that specific strategy from his Sabre experience and he likely goes into the Bills with an open mind.

Furthermore, he probably knows he already has the team, and even if he doesn't he is already considering in his own mind what he will do. But he is not going to be in charge until Oct or Dec so no way is he going to make any decision whatsoever in the 2014 football season. And so much could happen. If EJ tanks, he has to seriously question Whaley and Marrone's judgment. If the Bills play well his opinion about a lot of folks and their jobs could change for the better. If they are erratic but show flashes, which is probably the most likely, his evaluation process becomes harder than it even is now.

Thanks for agreeing.

El Pegula will likely not be firing Russ Brandon during the 2014 season (short order)

There are many people that want that El Petulante's first move, as soon as he takes ownership, to get rid of Brandon. I find this doubtful.

Personally I bet Brandon gets to show and prove in 2015 as well but, like always, the Bills performance in the current season will effect FO decisions in the next season.

If they're 4-11 and give the Browns the #5 overall pick. You gotta think house cleaning. I don't see that happening if the season is a craps table I'd have 7-9, 8-8, and 9-7 would have a lot of action.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Thanks for agreeing.

El Pegula will likely not be firing Russ Brandon during the 2014 season (short order)

There are many people that want that El Petulante's first move, as soon as he takes ownership, to get rid of Brandon. I find this doubtful.

Personally I bet Brandon gets to show and prove in 2015 as well but, like always, the Bills performance in the current season will effect FO decisions in the next season.

If they're 4-11 and give the Browns the #5 overall pick. You gotta think house cleaning. I don't see that happening if the season is a craps table I'd have 7-9, 8-8, and 9-7 would have a lot of action.

Yup. Agree with all that. I think pretty much everyone is safe for a full year. It's even hard for me to believe a 4-11 season but anything is possible, especially if EJ gets hurt.

Full year meaning full football year, not til next august.

For the first time since 1966 I feel good about the future of this franchise. Until that great team of the early 90s, Ralph Wilson was not considered to be a good owner. There is no denying what he did for the NFL, but that does not negate all bad decisions he made as an owner. Brandon didn't hire himself to be GM Wilson did, the same as he hired Levy to be GM and Nix. All acts of desperation.

Brandon's hires were Whaley and Morrone, both very un-Wilson like. The new owner needs to let this play out. You can't keep blowing things up. Now the business guys, that's another story.

If the team doesn't make the playoffs this year, they are all gone. Marrone, Whaley(unfairly), and Brandon(justly). New owner. Culture of losing for 15 years. It all needs to be blown up. Will be a really tough call if they are 9-7 and lose out on tie-breakers. But if EJ doesn't progress and they are sub-500 they will all lose their jobs. Whaley might keep his if Watkins looks the part of a guy you give up a first round pick to get.

If the team doesn't make the playoffs this year, they are all gone. Marrone, Whaley(unfairly), and Brandon(justly). New owner. Culture of losing for 15 years. It all needs to be blown up. Will be a really tough call if they are 9-7 and lose out on tie-breakers. But if EJ doesn't progress and they are sub-500 they will all lose their jobs. Whaley might keep his if Watkins looks the part of a guy you give up a first round pick to get.

Man this conversation does just go round and round. If people had a better understanding of roles and responsibilities and what the job entails the appreciation would go way up. This isn't directed at TXBILLSFAN because I think that he definitely understands it, just doesn't like Russ. Kind of like my hatred for Hogan.

Man this conversation does just go round and round. If people had a better understanding of roles and responsibilities and what the job entails the appreciation would go way up. This isn't directed at TXBILLSFAN because I think that he definitely understands it, just doesn't like Russ. Kind of like my hatred for Hogan.

Why would you have harsh feelings for Hogan. He is your typical fringe receiver who every year has to hustle to make the roster. What do you have against earnest functional players?

Why would you have harsh feelings for Hogan. He is your typical fringe receiver who every year has to hustle to make the roster. What do you have against earnest functional players?

Ha ha, I don't know. My theory on the bottom of depth charts guys is that you take boom or bust guys. You can always get the Hogans of the world. Just kind of my Mike Jasper/Jason Peters philosophy....He appears to be developing but I want to see it on the field.

You're missing the point, it's not the last fifteen years. It's the entire history of the franchise. Got lucky in mid sixties then blew it up. Had some luck with Knox as coach, let him go. Polian becomes GM by default, builds a great team with right coach and a Ralph fires him.

People keep saying Brandon has done a great job, but at what? I seen a lot of hand waving, but few concrete details. In terms of marketing, isn't he basically just preaching to the choir here? And don't forget his baby was the Toronto games, and we all know how that went. I do respect him for pulling out of it, but I think that probably had more to do with foresight into Ralph's state of health.

Anyways, let's not forget Brandon's the biggest cronie of them all (right up there with Littman). He had his chance to put his fingerprint on the franchise, but he chose the status quo instead. If the Bills don't have a winning season, they're likely all gone.

Edited by kas23

I was told at the time from a very good source with knowledge of the situation that basically Littman and Overdorf gave Nix a list of three players with good sized contracts and told him, "One of these has to go." Nix chose Evans.

Well he chose correctly if you ask me.

Kirby -- my issue with Brandon started back at the outset of the Toronto series, which I thought at the time was a disaster in the making. Thankfully, in the end, it became a debacle for Toronto and a profit maker for the Bills. I just feel that Brandon has never been held accountable for anything and that at some point he should. I know we can go around in a circle on whether he has responsibility for player personnel or not, in my mind, a CEO has responsibility for everything under him. In the end, I've come to a compromised "happy place" with respect to Brandon. Keep him organizationally away from football personnel, which I think Pegs will do, i.e. head of non-football operations with the Pres of Football reporting separately to Pegula -- let Brandon run the business side, and I'll be okay and stand down, after all, I only care that this team becomes a consistent winner instead of a perpetual loser.

I tried in the other thread to nuance my position a bit and provide more context to the historical beginnings, but that thread was interrupted

People keep saying Brandon has done a great job, but at what? I seen a lot of hand waving, but few concrete details. In terms of marketing, isn't he basically just preaching to the choir here? And don't forget his baby was the Toronto games, and we all know how that went. I do respect him for pulling out of it, but I think that probably had more to do with foresight into Ralph's state of health.

Anyways, let's not forget Brandon's the biggest cronie of them all (right up there with Littman). He had his chance to put his fingerprint on the franchise, but he chose the status quo instead. If the Bills don't have a winning season, they're likely all gone.

This is turning into the "Can Pegula own two teams?" thing. People have spelled out precisely what Brandon has done to help the Bills, most recently forcing the NFL to accept the non-relocation clause in the latest lease, over the objection of Jerruh Jones and Bob Kraft. That alone makes him eligible for sainthood.

Get over this BS hated of Brandon. The guy is good.

Well he chose correctly if you ask me.

In retrospect, probably. But that was a case of Ralph being cheap. The Bills were nowhere near the cap. The GM wanted to keep the player. They just decided to cut salary for no good reason to keep it down, so they cut a player they wanted to keep simply for money reasons and not football reasons.

Kirby -- my issue with Brandon started back at the outset of the Toronto series, which I thought at the time was a disaster in the making. Thankfully, in the end, it became a debacle for Toronto and a profit maker for the Bills. I just feel that Brandon has never been held accountable for anything and that at some point he should. I know we can go around in a circle on whether he has responsibility for player personnel or not, in my mind, a CEO has responsibility for everything under him. In the end, I've come to a compromised "happy place" with respect to Brandon. Keep him organizationally away from football personnel, which I think Pegs will do, i.e. head of non-football operations with the Pres of Football reporting separately to Pegula -- let Brandon run the business side, and I'll be okay and stand down, after all, I only care that this team becomes a consistent winner instead of a perpetual loser.

I tried in the other thread to nuance my position a bit and provide more context to the historical beginnings, but that thread was interrupted

I apologize if it came across as a shot because it wasn't meant to be. All that I was saying as that you see the whole picture and have a different perspective than most of us. Some people hate this or that with a limited understanding, you understand but see it differently.