Ross Cockrell at the Midpoint of Training Camp

johnwalter

@ChrisBrownBills: Ross Cockrell probably had defensive play of day for #Bills. On a deep pass play Cockrell tipped pass, gathered himself & made INT off tip.

--------------------

That's the sort of thing I've gotten used to reading about Ross Cockrell once a week - he's been flashing all camp.

Cockrell has the skills to get it done at an NFL level. If the Donnie Henderson can coach him into getting it done consistently (and if there's any Bills positional coach I believe in, it's Donnie Henderson), I think this kid will end up being one of our better late-round steals since Kyle Williams. I'm not saying I believe he's a guaranteed Richard Sherman, but I think Whaley has set up the Bills to have a strong defensive backfield for the next half decade. As McKelvin and Graham reach their 30's we can transition to into one of the best secondaries in the NFL with veterans Stephon Gilmore and Aaron Williams leading up a talented group including Ross Cockrell and Nickell Robey.

Edited by johnwalter

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was he the corner that shutdown Mike Evans in the bowl game---a game Evans was clearly frustrated during that at one point Jonny Football got in his face to try and fire him up--I think it was after A&M scored a TD.

But yea, I agree. Im excited about this kid.

Edited by Big Blitz

@ChrisBrownBills: Ross Cockrell probably had defensive play of day for #Bills. On a deep pass play Cockrell tipped pass, gathered himself & made INT off tip.

--------------------

That's the sort of thing I've gotten used to reading about Ross Cockrell once a week - he's been flashing all camp.

Cockrell has the skills to get it done at an NFL level. If the Donnie Henderson can coach him into getting it done consistently (and if there's any Bills positional coach I believe in, it's Donnie Henderson), I think this kid will end up being one of our better late-round steals since Kyle Williams. I'm not saying I believe he's a guaranteed Richard Sherman, but I think Whaley has set up the Bills to have a strong defensive backfield for the next half decade. As McKelvin and Graham reach their 30's we can transition to into one of the best secondaries in the NFL with veterans Stephon Gilmore and Aaron Williams leading up a talented group including Ross Cockrell and Nickell Robey.

I love the way Doug Whaley is building the team.

I also love what Donnie Henderson has done in (seemingly) greatly improving McKelvin, Aaron Williams, and the other DBs.

I imagine Ross Cockrell will benefit from that great coaching and become a capable CB for us.

Was he the corner that shutdown Mike Evans in the bowl game---a game Evans was clearly frustrated during that at one point Jonny Football got in his face to try and fire him up--I think it was after A&M scored a TD.

But yea, I agree. Im excited about this kid.

Yep, that was him. In a 52-48 game in which there were 13 TDs, Evans had none, and caught 4-72 against Cockrell.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/02/24/3651508/after-a-rough-start-at-duke-cockrell.html

I liked the pick a great deal. I do think it's fortunate that he has two very good corners ahead of him as he develops (4th round pick after all) but he has the size that Ron Brooks lacks, and I can possibly see him moving to FS if need be. All in all, I am very happy with the pick right now.

I've taken the wonderlic. I can tell you this about it, it's not an intelligence test.

Explain this to me, how do tests have intelligence?

i meant 27 is good. McLovin got like a 13.

Edit: according to Wikipedia, the avg for a CB is 18. Overall avg for all positions is 20.

I'm surprised he got a 13. I was expecting a 3.

Maybe there is something more going on above those shoulders than expected.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Even more impressive is Cockrell will at best be the 5th CB this year and maybe even 6th if they keep Brooks.

I still have major concerns with Gilmore though

You can't put much into the Wonderlic as most of these guys prob don't take it seriously and just want to get it over with.

Edited by Max997

Russell Wilson scored in the 20s. Fitzy got a 48 and finished in a record 9 minutes.

IIRC Fitz said that he got two wrong and one of them he got wrong on purpose. I can't for sure remember why, but it was something to do with not wanting the NfL guys to think he was TOO smart, that he wasn't a football player too, just a brainiac.