• I suffer from another form of mental health diagnosis
  2. 2. mrags should...

• stay.
    • stay!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was taking prozac for about two years while getting counseling treatment too. Most of the time was effective. Made me less compulsive but quicker to get angry

poojie poo will see this I am sure, but I quickly pooped out on Prozac when I took it. Every two to four months upping my dosage. Meds seemed to have no effect on me. A propped diet, caffeine, and rigorous exercise keep me balanced. I regulate all of this quite well but maybe I am just too dumb to know what's best.

BTW I am bipolar, according to the Dr's who have tested me. I didn't try to remember specifics. I didn't want the label.

I suffer from a condition called cluster headaches. They are extremely painful headaches that come in clusters every 3 months for 3 months. I get 3-8 attacks a day each being about 1 hour. Several come at night, so for three months straight I sleep about 1 hour then have an attack for 1 hour. I typically get 2.5-4 hours of sleep a night. The pain is indescribable, whatever you think your pain tolerance is, believe me it's way higher than you think. This coming from someone who has had 7 surgeries. By the time I get into my 2nd month There's no question I go into depression. If the pain don't get you the lack of sleep and holding onto a full time job will. Doctors have never found someone who had a worse form of pain. If interested I supplied a link about them.

http://en.wikipedia....luster_headache

Omg. That sucks.

This is a topic I am not afraid to talk about. In the poll I said I struggled with depression in the past and I'd say that's mostly true. It never really goes away. You always struggle with depression and in my case anxiety. It always gives me hope when I read about others dealing with mental illness.

I wouldn't wish my darkest times on my worst enemy. It's an awful disease.

If you are dealing with depression, you are not alone

I'm one of the lucky ones. So it's almost like I need explanations or else I cant relate. Of course you dont have to explain, but it's hard for me to relate.

Dont suffer this or health issues at all. Have not even had a cold/flu since 2002. My kids have never seen me get sick.

Sucks tho, since it sounds very hard to deal with.

I'm told by two Drs I'm depressed. I have so many on the list but I would never take my life and I do not want to go on the HAPPY PILLS. Thus I have become a hermit.

My father suffered from cluster headaches when I was a teenager. There was literally nothing that would help but time with alternating hot/cold compresses. I'd stay up many nights with him, watching him writhe in pain.

Interestingly, what ended up getting rid of the headaches was pure oxygen. He'd keep a big tank in his bedroom and a small tank in the car, and when he felt a headache coming on, he'd put on the mask, turn up the O2 and nip it in the bud. Never met anyone with cluster headaches before, so I have no idea if that just somehow worked for him, but if you haven't talked to your doc about it, it may be worth the query.

I saw a tee shirt the other day and thought of you. It said "I hate being bi-polar. It's awesome!:

Very funny.

Mind if I ask what SSRI medication you are taking? My middle son has a similar diagnosis but I'm not sure his current meds are working well.

Sorry for the delay, Poojer.

I have an Rx for Citalopram 40mg, which at the Sam's Club pharmacy is $10 for 3 months. It has really helped.

What is the "similar diagnosis" --- a high-functioning autism? If so, there are a number of programs and help out there today in many parts of the country. You can reply here or on PM if you want to discuss.

DCTom, thanks for the note (and for not calling me an idiot LOL). It's mostly self-therapy of positive thought and staying away from negativity ("Thoughts are things" is so true), doing some exercises that are discussed on accredited places including working on eye contact issues that have plagued me all my life & on 'chit-chat' socializing, as well as trying new things and traveling. I have talked to my doctor about these specific herbals and he said it would be fine but to perhaps limit it to one at a time. (And trust me, whenever I'm taking ANYthing, i.e. TheraFlu or an allergy med, or whatever, I check "Is ____ OK to take with citalopram?" I'm very persnickety about that....)

CountryCletus, I was actually switched to an SNRI (serotonin & nor-epinephrin re-uptake inhibitor) earlier this year during a rough patch which prompted my doctor to try Venlafexine 150mg and I have to say that for me it made things much worse. Just... emotionally flatlined --- dulled everything, serious brain fog --- I felt dumber and could not mentally function as I usually did/do, terrible sexual side effects that continued for months after I stopped it, and all for $85/month. I completed the month to give it a chance and the doctor switched me back to the Citalopram. A lot of people are noting the change they see in me and it feels really good to finally be out of the weeds... or, rather, not nearly as deep in the weeds as I once was.

I'm told by two Drs I'm depressed. I have so many on the list but I would never take my life and I do not want to go on the HAPPY PILLS. Thus I have become a hermit.

Have you considered counseling? Maybe you do not feel depressed, maybe you do not need to be on happy pills, and maybe you prefer the lifestyle of being a hermit. But, that doesn't mean you cannot just talk to a therapist/counselor/psychologist because it can be to your benefit.

I resisted my counseling for almost a year but knew it'd be for the best after a while and I started to open up and it helped out greatly. 6 years of regular therapy type counseling helped me realize many issues I had about myself and how to deal with life much better.

I'm not understanding the phrase "I have so many on the list" there.... Could you explain that?

I get that any number of people have qualms about an Rx, and I'm absolutely not trying to be a pusher, but what's the reasoning behind the 'no pills' issue?

There are other treatments that can be as effective as an Rx, including exercise and talk therapy (either with a professional or a close friend... especially if that friend has some experience in the area or is empathic / good listener), counseling, etc. While I do these to some degree, I still need the pills. I did the hermit thing for a long time. Way too long. I'm not offering a harsh judgment here, but speaking as someone who was there... that's really no way to live. I'm certain it only made me more depressed. You're truly one of the nicest people on TBD, 89! Can I help?

Edited by UConn James

Omg. That sucks.

I'm one of the lucky ones. So it's almost like I need explanations or else I cant relate. Of course you dont have to explain, but it's hard for me to relate.

Dont suffer this or health issues at all. Have not even had a cold/flu since 2002. My kids have never seen me get sick.

Sucks tho, since it sounds very hard to deal with.

I've never had any issue of talking about it. The hard part is putting it into words that someone can relate to. Its something that is very misunderstood. But talking about and reminding myself how far I've come is good therapy (at least for me).

I remember one episode lasting a few weeks. Imagine wearing really dim sunglasses for a few weeks that without warning will suddenly disappear and you will be blinded by light and get a migraine headache instantly. Meanwhile the air around you is super hot and humid then switching to bitter cold so your sweating and shivering. On top of all that you just feel heavy. Now I wear 170 soaking wet, but i would feel like I weighed over 300 pounds. I struggled putting one foot in front of the other some days. It felt like someone was just pushing down on your shoulders for 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I had no appetite, I didnt want to do anything. Whenever I walked somewhere I felt like I had everyones eyes watching me and I could hear them talking about me, judging me.

The worst part was when I was sleeping, because it was impossible. I would lay down and be physically and mentally exhausted at this point and I would just hear a distant roar that just got louder and louder and louder until finally I would get up to see what it was and the room would be silent. So I would lay down again and the same thing would happen. I barely slept that whole month.

Truly awful disease.

I went on meds and was in counseling for two years. I switched colleges because halfway through all this because my first college had such a toxic feel to me, I couldnt stay there.

The best thing I ever did was decide I was going to be a better man because of it. So many people overcome adversity in life, why couldnt I be one of them? From that day forward I try to do at least one thing a day to move me past that. Some days its really hard, but the further away I get from those days, the better I feel. Been off meds for almost 4 years and I have had only one anxiety episode in the last year.

Edited by Captain Hindsight

I've never had any issue of talking about it. The hard part is putting it into words that someone can relate to. Its something that is very misunderstood. But talking about and reminding myself how far I've come is good therapy (at least for me).

I remember one episode lasting a few weeks. Imagine wearing really dim sunglasses for a few weeks that without warning will suddenly disappear and you will be blinded by light and get a migraine headache instantly. Meanwhile the air around you is super hot and humid then switching to bitter cold so your sweating and shivering. On top of all that you just feel heavy. Now I wear 170 soaking wet, but i would feel like I weighed over 300 pounds. I struggled putting one foot in front of the other some days. It felt like someone was just pushing down on your shoulders for 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I had no appetite, I didnt want to do anything. Whenever I walked somewhere I felt like I had everyones eyes watching me and I could hear them talking about me, judging me.

The worst part was when I was sleeping, because it was impossible. I would lay down and be physically and mentally exhausted at this point and I would just hear a distant roar that just got louder and louder and louder until finally I would get up to see what it was and the room would be silent. So I would lay down again and the same thing would happen. I barely slept that whole month.

Truly awful disease.

I went on meds and was in counseling for two years. I switched colleges because halfway through all this because my first college had such a toxic feel to me, I couldnt stay there.

The best thing I ever did was decide I was going to be a better man because of it. So many people overcome adversity in life, why couldnt I be one of them? From that day forward I try to do at least one thing a day to move me past that. Some days its really hard, but the further away I get from those days, the better I feel. Been off meds for almost 4 years and I have had only one anxiety episode in the last year.

Man! What are you describing - migraines or depression or anxiety?

1) They're not "happy pills." They don't make you happy. They merely "smooth out" problems with biochemical receptors in your nervous system. You can be on an antidepressant and still be a miserable bastard...look at me.

2) Unless those doctors were psychiatrists, I'd get another opinion. Not only are most doctors not qualified to make a mental health diagnosis, but one of the worst practices in medicine currently is a primary care physician diagnosing depression in a five-minute consultation then prescribing antidepressants with no follow-up. A psychiatrist is going to spend at least 90 minutes interviewing you to make a diagnosis, and still consider it preliminary until he sees how you respond to treatment, and is going to monitor you pretty closely when you start medication.

oh I think you are VERY happy being a 'miserable bastard' :beer:

1) They're not "happy pills." They don't make you happy. They merely "smooth out" problems with biochemical receptors in your nervous system. You can be on an antidepressant and still be a miserable bastard...look at me.

2) Unless those doctors were psychiatrists, I'd get another opinion. Not only are most doctors not qualified to make a mental health diagnosis, but one of the worst practices in medicine currently is a primary care physician diagnosing depression in a five-minute consultation then prescribing antidepressants with no follow-up. A psychiatrist is going to spend at least 90 minutes interviewing you to make a diagnosis, and still consider it preliminary until he sees how you respond to treatment, and is going to monitor you pretty closely when you start medication.

all three

Wow - I've mainly got issues with anxiety, and thought I have had it way tougher than just about anybody.

You proved me wrong, and any pity parties I have for myself have got to stop.......I always thought at least I've been lucky in that headaches are not a big deal for me..........Because when I do get one, and they're just a normal headache - I feel like I'm about to go insane.

All credit to you - you are a tough man!!