• I suffer from another form of mental health diagnosis
  2. 2. mrags should...

• stay.
    • stay!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I had dissociative fugue disorder. It may cause problems at times, but it certainly would spice up my boring life a little bit. Plus, it would give me cause to expose myself in front of strangers.

Someone's watching the marathon on AMC right now, aren't they?

Shower Boy is that you?

Ground up and in the freezer. Haha. I actually haven't seen shower boy in some time. There is this really ugly, annoying girl living there now. The cops have been over there 3 or 4 times in the past couple weeks. I think shower boy might be enjoying the excellent water pressure at the crowbar hotel.

It's often interesting to see how threads are redirected to the land of the bizarre and how much a comment like this can make you laugh ...

this is a thread about depression. If this helps avoid it - great.

I will bump this week 16, though. We may need it.

I'm told by two Drs I'm depressed. I have so many on the list but I would never take my life and I do not want to go on the HAPPY PILLS. Thus I have become a hermit.

I'm not understanding the phrase "I have so many on the list" there.... Could you explain that?

I get that any number of people have qualms about an Rx, and I'm absolutely not trying to be a pusher, but what's the reasoning behind the 'no pills' issue?

There are other treatments that can be as effective as an Rx, including exercise and talk therapy (either with a professional or a close friend... especially if that friend has some experience in the area or is empathic / good listener), counseling, etc. While I do these to some degree, I still need the pills. I did the hermit thing for a long time. Way too long. I'm not offering a harsh judgment here, but speaking as someone who was there... that's really no way to live. I'm certain it only made me more depressed. You're truly one of the nicest people on TBD, 89! Can I help?

1) They're not "happy pills." They don't make you happy. They merely "smooth out" problems with biochemical receptors in your nervous system. You can be on an antidepressant and still be a miserable bastard...look at me.

2) Unless those doctors were psychiatrists, I'd get another opinion. Not only are most doctors not qualified to make a mental health diagnosis, but one of the worst practices in medicine currently is a primary care physician diagnosing depression in a five-minute consultation then prescribing antidepressants with no follow-up. A psychiatrist is going to spend at least 90 minutes interviewing you to make a diagnosis, and still consider it preliminary until he sees how you respond to treatment, and is going to monitor you pretty closely when you start medication.

All of this, actually "happy pills" didn't make me happy at all. I also had someone to talk to, who listened and didn't judge. I went a bit crazy with them as they (the ones I was on) tended to promote some bad behavior. But and it is a big but, after a while I just felt better. I was able to rebuild and correct after that, diet helped, exercise too. I only used the medication for 6 months. Well worth it, after like 5 years of badness. I tried the hermit thing too and lost a job and some other stuff for my effort there. Last thought, this was really quite a while ago now and the meds are supposed to be better, I was on an (at the time experimental drug). I have been thinking about taking the one drug that helps you quit smoking, for some reason Nicotine still has my number.

Edited by bowery4