New Bar in East Village for Game Viewing

NYCBoozers

Hey all. I'm Jason, I own the Immigrant Tap Room in Manhattan in the East Village (9th Street and 1st Avenue).

It's a small little beer bar that I added next door to my wine bar. I've been thinking of opening up and showing Bills games on Sundays this year and wanted to gauge interest. My bar is a very relaxed atmosphere, and it isn't the place for hooting and hollering. If people are interested in a relaxing atmosphere to watch the game, I'd definitely do it. I'm watching the games anyways with the bar closed ha...

I have some real nice TV's and surround sound for the games.

I could offer some Hofmann's or Zweigle's hotdogs to serve, and a texas hot sauce. Although I don't have a large enough kitchen to do Beef on weck or Buffalo Wings - I can pre-order wings from a place down the street if needed. And I could order some local beer options ... Southern Tier or Labatt's or Empire or whatever people can recommend.

I'm originally from New York State (grew up in Cortland, went to SUNY Oswego), and I usually attend 1 game a year in Buffalo with a group of college buddies. I was going to Brother Jimmy's back in the day, and then McFaddens, and then Kellys. But I haven't really been going regulary because it's tough to get a spot these days... so I've been watching the games in my bar with some friends. I'm looking to open it up to everyone this year.

Anyone think this is a good idea?

-Jason

Edited by NYCBoozers

Hey all. I'm Jason, I own the Immigrant Tap Room in Manhattan in the East Village (9th Street and 1st Avenue).

It's a small little beer bar that I added next door to my wine bar. I've been thinking of opening up and showing Bills games on Sundays this year and wanted to gauge interest. My bar is a very relaxed atmosphere, and it isn't the place for hooting and hollering. If people are interested in a relaxing atmosphere to watch the game, I'd definitely do it. I'm watching the games anyways with the bar closed ha...

I could offer some Hofmann's or Zweigle's hotdogs to serve, and a texas hot sauce. Although I don't have a large enough kitchen to do Beef on weck or Buffalo Wings - I can pre-order wings from a place down the street if needed. And I could order some local beer options ... Southern Tier or Labatt's or Empire or whatever people can recommend.

I'm originally from Upstate New York (grew up in Cortland, went to SUNY Oswego), and I usually attend 1 game a year in Buffalo with a group of college buddies. I was going to Brother Jimmy's back in the day, and then McFaddens, and then Kellys. But I haven't really been going regulary because it's tough to get a spot these days... so I've been watching the games in my bar with some friends. I'm looking to open it up to everyone this year.

-Jason

I do, I lived on 10th during my schooldays which was a long time ago. There was nothing like that in the East Village period.

Good Luck! A friend is taking her daughter to NYC in October maybe I can convince them to stop in for a drink.

I'm originally from Upstate New York (grew up in Cortland, went to SUNY Oswego), and I usually attend 1 game a year in Buffalo with a group of college buddies. I was going to Brother Jimmy's back in the day, and then McFaddens, and then Kellys. But I haven't really been going regulary because it's tough to get a spot these days... so I've been watching the games in my bar with some friends. I'm looking to open it up to everyone this year.

-Jason

i can't really take the over the top vibe of McFadden's so I'd be a candidate for your bar if I was still in the NYC area. But it is a long commute from Florida.

But let me just say this. You grew up in Cortland and went to school in Ithaca---that's Central New York. Upstate New York is the equivalent of saying "Not NYC or Long Island". It is disrespectful of your area to lump it in with 90% of the state that happens to be outside of metro NYC area.

Four guys talking at a bar in LA. First guy introduces the others to a girl at the bar: Jim is from the Upper West Side. Bill is from Hell's Kitchen and I live in the East Village. Joe is from Upstate. Why do we continue to allow people to relegate our areas into such a meaningless phrase?

OK, I'm done ranting now.

I love the fact that there could possibly be a Bills Bar in the East Village. I haven't lived in a NYC for some time, but lived there for 18 years. I was in the restaurant business. Spent some time in your neighborhood, man things change. Like the Second Avenue Deli not being on Second Ave anymore, or even in the East Village. I wish you luck.

I love the fact that there could possibly be a Bills Bar in the East Village. I haven't lived in a NYC for some time, but lived there for 18 years. I was in the restaurant business. Spent some time in your neighborhood, man things change. Like the Second Avenue Deli not being on Second Ave anymore, or even in the East Village. I wish you luck.

Or the Pyramid Club. Or King Tut's Wah Wah Hut.

I have a place on the UWS that I try to get down to monthly. I would like to check out this new Bills Bar.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Or the Pyramid Club. Or King Tut's Wah Wah Hut.

I have a place on the UWS it try to get down to monthly. I would like to check out this new Bills Bar.

Been to both of those places, also lived on the Upper Westside (please Dean don't take offense, that's what it's called) a lfe time ago.

Been to both of those places, also lived on the Upper Westside (please Dean don't take offense, that's what it's called) a lfe time ago.

UWS and East Village---polar opposites you lived in! UWS is nice for family though--especially around Lincoln Center.

That's what it's called in NYC. So is Buffalo, Albany, Plattsburg, Jamestown and Peekskill. Don't you see a problem with buying into that terminology? It reduces 90% of the geographic region of the state to simply "somewhere other than metropolitan NYC... not important enough to specify".

Now if you're in NYC and going heading "upstate" for the weekend, I guess I can buy it. Otherwise you have reduced most of the state to a generic place. Ithaca and Cortland are NOT "Upstate NY" by actual definition. Here are the official regions of NYS:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/50230.html

Of course, there are other names for some of the regions. But when you say "Upstate New York" all you are saying is "somewhere north, or west, of NYC" and you might as well add "it's not important". Have some pride in where you are from. You certainly were specific on where your bar is "East Village". But maybe you've been in NYC too long to care about the rest of the state.

UWS and East Village---polar opposites you lived in! UWS is nice for family though--especially around Lincoln Center.

Never lived in the East Village just had friends there.

Lived on W68th between Columbus and CPW. Among other places

I'm not in the city regularly, but you should open up early Sunday when the Bills play at the Jets.

Always have trouble finding a bar open Sunday morning when in town for that game.

This seems like a good place to ask. Regarding bills at jets:

I have taken the train to metlife in the past thru penn station/nj transit. Last year was ideal, with a 4pm kickoff, most bars in the city were open by 11am.

Since I don't drive my car, I have nothing to tailgate from, so I usually belly up to a bar in the city for a while before heading to the stadium. Problem is, with the 1pm kickoff this year, most bars aren't open at 8am.

Two things: are there others who have done the tailgate with no car thing at metlife? And is anyone familiar with a bar in the city open Sunday mornings (8-9am)?

That's what it's called in NYC. So is Buffalo, Albany, Plattsburg, Jamestown and Peekskill. Don't you see a problem with buying into that terminology? It reduces 90% of the geographic region of the state to simply "somewhere other than metropolitan NYC... not important enough to specify".

Now if you're in NYC and going heading "upstate" for the weekend, I guess I can buy it. Otherwise you have reduced most of the state to a generic place. Ithaca and Cortland are NOT "Upstate NY" by actual definition. Here are the official regions of NYS:

Of course, there are other names for some of the regions. But when you say "Upstate New York" all you are saying is "somewhere north, or west, of NYC" and you might as well add "it's not important". Have some pride in where you are from. You certainly were specific on where your bar is "East Village". But maybe you've been in NYC too long to care about the rest of the state.

Could not agree more. The arrogance is over the top. Long Island really? NYC is the center of the universe? Been there, done that and come on, it's pure delusion - "downstate"

Dean, take deep breath. I agree with you. I always tell people I'm from Western NY (Tonawanda, not to be confused with North Tonawanda, or the Town of) and went to college in Central NY. I never say Upstate, ever. Upstate is like Albany.

Buffalonian's designate neighborhoods the same as New Yorkers do. Riverside vs South Buffalo for example.

I'm not the guy who started the post, but people from places like Cortland or Binghamton are more likely to use Upstate, because Central NY is more associated with Syracuse and Utica.

I'm on 66th and Broadway/Amsterdam.

Love that neighborhood.

Dean, take deep breath. I agree with you. I always tell people I'm from Western NY (Tonawanda, not to be confused with North Tonawanda, or the Town of) and went to college in Central NY. I never say Upstate, ever. Upstate is like Albany.

Buffalonian's designate neighborhoods the same as New Yorkers do. Riverside vs South Buffalo for example.

I'm not the guy who started the post, but people from places like Cortland or Binghamton are more likely to use Upstate, because Central NY is more associated with Syracuse and Utica.

Thanks. I'm actually laughing while I'm posting, so it's all good. But it is a "thing" for me. My buddy is from Jersey and tells people (legitimately) he is from the NYC/NJ metropolitan area. He then introduces people (as far apart as Albany, Buffalo, etc) as from "Upstate". "Hey Brian, Joe here is from upstate" as if it were some kind of neighborhood. I have to admit, my relentless tirades have had an impact, though, Sometimes I'm sure he does it now just to get under my skin. :lol: But can you imagine calling everything north of San Diego "Upstate California"? Absurd.

Binghamton is Southern Tier. Cortland (and also Ithaca) are kinda on the border between calling then CNY or Southern Tier.

Thanks. I'm actually laughing while I'm posting, so it's all good. But it is a "thing" for me. My buddy is from Jersey and tells people (legitimately) he is from the NYC/NJ metropolitan area. He then introduces people (as far apart as Albany, Buffalo, etc) as from "Upstate". "Hey Brian, Joe here is from upstate" as if it were some kind of neighborhood. I have to admit, my relentless tirades have had an impact, though, Sometimes I'm sure he does it now just to get under my skin. :lol: But can you imagine calling everything north of San Diego "Upstate California"? Absurd.

Glad you've kept your sense of humor about this, but it irks me too. It's like NYC is the bullseye, and everything else is "other/inconsequential". Upper? Western? Central? Oh, what the hell, just lump it all together because we're too lazy too look at a map and figure it out. Buffalo is WNY. We are above Pittsburgh. NYC should not claim the entire state as it's suburb. Geez, now you've got me going...

But I guess it beats being southwest Toronto.

New home of the Bills.

whaddya think is above the tailgate?

I like the way you think. Kind of a combination of Columbo and Charlie Sheen.

Edited by Augie

I'm originally from New York State (grew up in Cortland, went to SUNY Oswego), and I usually attend 1 game a year in Buffalo with a group of college buddies. I was going to Brother Jimmy's back in the day, and then McFaddens, and then Kellys. But I haven't really been going regulary because it's tough to get a spot these days... so I've been watching the games in my bar with some friends. I'm looking to open it up to everyone this year.

-Jason

Yes from Brooklyn!

Binghamton is Southern Tier. Cortland (and also Ithaca) are kinda on the border between calling then CNY or Southern Tier.

I might say Ithaca is in the Finger Lakes region. That has a nice ring to it. Cortland might even get away with it. Far better than the generic (and uninformative Upstate).

-Jason

That would be excellent. I'm in Brooklyn but I'm planning to move into the East Village when my lease is up in a month and a half. I've done McFadden's but that's not really the scene I'm looking for.

It's been a while, but I remember another Buffalo bar in the East Village named Kelly's. Owned by a really nice couple with the wife being from Buffalo.

I've only been there for hockey. I'm not even sure if they have Sunday Ticket, but it's a great place to catch a Sabres game.

Glad you've kept your sense of humor about this, but it irks me too. It's like NYC is the bullseye, and everything else is "other/inconsequential". Upper? Western? Central? Oh, what the hell, just lump it all together because we're too lazy too look at a map and figure it out. Buffalo is WNY. We are above Pittsburgh. NYC should not claim the entire state as it's suburb. Geez, now you've got me going...

But I guess it beats being southwest Toronto.

New home of the Bills.

I like the way you think. Kind of a combination of Columbo and Charlie Sheen.

You guys are killing me. Upstate became Upstate when there wasn't much upstate other than going up the Hudson River. Somebody please call Upstate Medical in Syracuse and tell them to change their name.

It's been a while, but I remember another Buffalo bar in the East Village named Kelly's. Owned by a really nice couple with the wife being from Buffalo.

I've only been there for hockey. I'm not even sure if they have Sunday Ticket, but it's a great place to catch a Sabres game.

Is the Hell's Angles HQ still on 3rd?

This thread has become a bit derailed but I would love this. Currently living in Brooklyn but would make it up to EV. McFadden's is not really my scene.

I'm responsible for the derailment. EV way more convenient to Brooklyn than McFadden's, no?

I'm responsible for the derailment. EV way more convenient to Brooklyn than McFadden's, no?

Thanks for lying on the grenade, but I'm pretty sure I am the one who got us off track. I hope you guys have fun in your downstate bar. B-)