Chicago Media- Bills are an Easy Win

their D will have nothing on they cowboys this year.

and yes, they have improved. a totally revamped d-line (+allen, houston, etc), and they drafted one of the best, if not the best, corner in the draft: kyle fuller. not to mention that they have one of the most stacked offenses in the nfl.

Funny how this is a sign of improvement but drafting Sammy Watkins isn't because "he hasn't done anything yet." #DoubleStandard

So, they are foolish to proclaim the Bills an easy W, yet they are what we should aspire to?

I'll pass.

Never said these guys were the ones who said we were an easy win. OP said "Chicago media."

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its going to come down to our defense slowing them down... As odd as it may sound, the Bears have the makings of a very potent offense. Bills have to "bring their A-game", so to speak...no slow start... I do believe this is a winnable game. It would be a huge win to start the season.

Funny how this is a sign of improvement but drafting Sammy Watkins isn't because "he hasn't done anything yet." #DoubleStandard

sammy watkins is poised to yield one of the largest improvements to his team of any rookie (along with j. matthews, j. clowney, a. donald, and b. cooks). im not sure how people consider the addition a prospect on par with aj and julio a non-improvement.

How is it bias? We sucked last year, and on paper probably broke even in the offseason

(Gain Spikes, lost Kiko, gained Watkins, lost Johnson, gained a few bit players, lost Byrd, etc)

It's bias because it is well known that fans have the most realistic point of view about their team. Especially Bills fans!

Have they improved upon that almost worst defense in the NFL from last year? If not, I wouldn't call any team an "easy win."

Four years ago the Fitzgailey Bills almost (and should have) beat the Cullerlovie Bears.

Have you signed up for our Week One party? http://forums.twobil...e/#entry3183951

I'd love to but why not during the game?

I could see the fans thinking the 6-10 Bills are an easy win at the home opener. They'll be favored by 5 or 6 and everyone is healthy. If we were 6 point favorites against team with a losing record in our opener I would tend to think the same thing.

I guarantee you the football coaches and the players in Chicago do not see us as an easy win. Our defense is far better than theirs, and we come into town with a #2 ranked running attack. The last time CJ was healthy he was running at a 6 ypc average. Thats Adrian Peterson numbers, and everyone knows about Freddy and his knack for moving the chains.

They have a better QB, two stud receivers in Jeffrey and Marshall and Forte is very good. That Bennett is a dangerous TE that we have to be able to run with.

We have a DC that knows how to beat this team, and an elite front 4 that should have their way with what sounds like a mess of an offensive line at this point. But we are underdogs for sure in this one, and are going to need to get in Cutlers face and in his head or they'll score 30+.

May the Schwartz be with us on Sept 7th. Gonna be a battle.

I really like the idea of Jim Schwartz as DC when we play his old division.

This bias may be on the radio but the Chicago Tribune is not proclaiming victory. In fact there is concern regarding some injuries to the OL.

If jethro_tull signs up for the party, I can discuss not one but two favorite topics with him/her.

Dan Pompei or Brad Biggs? I actually like each.

I'm looking forward to seeing Cutler get sacked, hit, and running for his life in the season opener.

You got that right JJ. I want to see him looking up at stars from the field and the locker room.

Bear fan here. I'd like to respectfully address a few things I have seen stated in this thread, but also in other threads:

• I live a couple hours south of Chicago and listen to a fair amount of 670 am and 1000 am. I haven't been hearing the "easy win" comments. In fact, I haven't been hearing much, if any, week 1 game discussion at all yet.
  • Schwartz was 3-7 against the Bears as Lions HC. Many of you are selectively choosing to focus only on last year.
  • The Bears D is not nearly the same one that finished last season personnel-wise. Many of you seem to be banking on them making no improvements in their run defense, but at the same time assuming multiple facets of the Bills will be improved. Its a trap all fanbases fall into this time of year.
  • The Bears O-Line allowed the 4th fewest sacks in the NFL last year - clearly not terrible.
  • The biggest wildcard factor in the game is that it will be Week 1 and everyone is still sort of getting their feet under them. I would be less concerned about this game if it were Week 3 or later, but the fact that it is in Chicago (where they have dominated Week 1 games lately) makes me feel pretty good about their chances.
  • Buffalo's WRs are not "on par" with Chicago's. One hasn't even played a regular season NFL snap yet. I know you are excited about their potential, but c'mon.

Anyway, that's about it. No ill-will towards anyone that posts here, just thought I would provide an opposing viewpoint.

Last night on 670, Mark Grote was talking about the Bear's schedule and he mentioned that the Bills were "an easy win". He also said the Dollphins game and the Jets games were "winnable" Earlier in the week the 670 late night host (Les Grobstein) mentioned that his colleages thought that the Bears would easily beat the Bills, but that he was not so sure and believes that the Bills will be much improved, that he believes EJ Manuel will be improved and that Sammy Watkins will be a huge addition to the team. Personally I respect Les "The Grobber" and he is actually an idiot savant that can recall vivid detail about any game, any year, any team, any sport.

Its going to come down to our defense slowing them down... As odd as it may sound, the Bears have the makings of a very potent offense. Bills have to "bring their A-game", so to speak...no slow start... I do believe this is a winnable game. It would be a huge win to start the season.

It is. A winnable game. But....

Huge win to start the season ? Hell yes it would be.

I am more excited about this challenge than i have been in a while .

Hope the Bills are settled in after 5 preaseason games and ready to go.

I always say this.

Biggest game of the Year !!

Go Bills !

Early entries to the ESPN Eliminator Challenge. Looks like we have a number of people to prove wrong:

Most Popular Picks in Week 1

Philadelphia Eagles 50.6%

Chicago Bears 11.3%

Kansas City Chiefs 7.3%

Pittsburgh Steelers 4.8%

New England Patriots 3.5%

The Beats very well could pull off a win. Until the Bills prove they can win on the road I don't trust them in any game. But there won't be anything easy about it.

You mean like did at KC? 42-6 win? We aren't playing the Seahawks. It's the flippin' 8-8 30th ranked defense Bears. Get a grip.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The difference is that Bears are expected to be a playoff team and potentially challenge for the SB...where everyone mostly sees the Bills at best as a Cinderella wildcard team or worse.

The same can be said for the Cowboys every single year and look at how they finish? I see Trestman as a downgrade from Lovie Smith. If Lovie Smith was still coaching the Bears, then I would be worried about the game.

The difference is that Bears are expected to be a playoff team and potentially challenge for the SB...where everyone mostly sees the Bills at best as a Cinderella wildcard team or worse.

This is pretty much Mike Schopp's view on them. He loves Chicago this year and sees no way that the Bills can beat them. Mike Schopp...'nuff said.

There's no doubt that playing at home in this game gives the Bears a big advantage but for anyone to think that it's an "easy win" for Chicago or who says that they "see no way that the Bills can beat them" is just being asinine.

Edited by ExWNYer

Bear fan here. I'd like to respectfully address a few things I have seen stated in this thread, but also in other threads:

• I live a couple hours south of Chicago and listen to a fair amount of 670 am and 1000 am. I haven't been hearing the "easy win" comments. In fact, I haven't been hearing much, if any, week 1 game discussion at all yet.
  • Schwartz was 3-7 against the Bears as Lions HC. Many of you are selectively choosing to focus only on last year.
  • The Bears D is not nearly the same one that finished last season personnel-wise. Many of you seem to be banking on them making no improvements in their run defense, but at the same time assuming multiple facets of the Bills will be improved. Its a trap all fanbases fall into this time of year.
  • The Bears O-Line allowed the 4th fewest sacks in the NFL last year - clearly not terrible.
  • The biggest wildcard factor in the game is that it will be Week 1 and everyone is still sort of getting their feet under them. I would be less concerned about this game if it were Week 3 or later, but the fact that it is in Chicago (where they have dominated Week 1 games lately) makes me feel pretty good about their chances.
  • Buffalo's WRs are not "on par" with Chicago's. One hasn't even played a regular season NFL snap yet. I know you are excited about their potential, but c'mon.

Anyway, that's about it. No ill-will towards anyone that posts here, just thought I would provide an opposing viewpoint.

that all sounds great but I just have one question. Would you swap Cutler for Manziel?

Some people think it is bias against Buffalo. But anytime I talk to a football fan from outside of Buffalo, they almost always think that Buffalo is an easy win. It doesn't matter what team you ask. And why shouldn't they think that? This team has had a losing record for so long it is a laughing stock to many people. I don't say that to put down my team. I love the Bills. But its true. I think people look at the Bills the way I used to look at Cincinnati for so many years. They perennially sucked. Now we are that team. God I hope it changes this year.

They shouldn't think that because we played everyone tight last year except the Saints. In the first 6 games we lost to NE by 2 with our rookie qb, beat two more playoff teams in Carolina and Ravens, and took the 4th playoff team Cinci to overtime and damn near won that one. Nobody takes us lightly anymore.

As I said elsewhere, our edges are going to be pressed hard in this game. McKelvin and Gilmore are going to have to absolutely ball in order for us to compete. Forte is going to try to get to the edge of our defense, and our corners are going to have to play well in run support - all while worrying about Marshall and Jeffries (who also happen to be two of the better run-blocking WRs in the game). Also sucks that Bradham won't be there. Bottom line, the Bills are going to have to contain the edges and put up points, because Chicago is going to score.

We gonna find out how good Gilmore really is in the opener. He has to take his game to another level against those Bears WR's.

He got beat last week by a rookie who damn near fell on the route.

He better turn-up soon.

Cutler is a gunslinger. Reminds me of Rivers. They make incredible throws and then turnaround and do something careless and throw a pick 6.

Last year Cutler had groin and ankle problems, missed about 5 games. When he was in there, he threw one pick for every 29 attempts. That's Fitz numbers. McCown threw one pick in 224 attempts. That's pretty incredible numbers.

The difference in this game will be getting a few picks from Jay. If we get ahead and he gets nervous, especially late in the game, we will win this one. Gotta remember he has the best 1/2 receiver package in the league. Those dudes get open and push the YAC. Mario is gonna need one of his patented 4 sack games.

Edited by Webster Guy

Yes, Dork, the Bears fans broke out the champagne after the Bears finished 8-8. Especially when you consider the Bears lost to the 3-13 Redskins and the 5-10-1 Vikings, got swept by the Lions, and gave up 42 points to the Rams and 54 points to the Eagles in losses. Yup, Bears fans are lucky to have such an awesome team. :doh:

This is why having an intelligent conversation about football is impossible.

The Bills lost to the Falcons and Buccaneers. They still had an outside shot at the playoffs when they played the Falcons.

It's a home opener against a team with no established QB.

If you were a Bears fan and the local media said anything other than definite win you would be ridiculing them.

Just win games and make the playoffs and then the media bias will be non-existent. The media only cares about winners.