RIP Actor Robin Williams

CowgirlsFan

To prove they're better than everyone else.

I don't think that's it. He's had these issues himself. Crack addiction, etc.................The prevailing thought in the rooms of recovery is that it is a selfish act.

I think it's probably a good way of thinking about it, in terms of high risk people. It's harsh and needs to be, I think......But, I do see both sides.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe depression is a real, and very tough thing. I also believe people do not try hard enough to fight it, and they feel sorry for themselves and they put themselves in terrible situations that only make themself feel worse.

That is still a part of decision making. If you are self aware enough that you have depression and choose to do things that can make you depressed, you choose your fate then.

I have depression deep in my family, but I know some evolved out of feeling bad for one self over time. A lot of old people get it, like my grandpa, a carpenter, who was a young man in his early 60s when he had some physical issues that stopped him from doing things he loved, and he began to just lose his will.

This is a different depression than WIlliams. Mine was more like his, heck, I was on all sorts of pills throughout my life.

Russell Brand a pretty well spoken comedian has his thoughts up online. i have seen them on a couple of places. maybe they are up on his site. TMZ has a link if anyone is interested.

No self promotion from him just heartbreak.

Everyone has heartache. Suicide at 63 is not a tradegy, his was a decision, he had over 45 years of being an adult to decide this. Tragic is young people. This was a thought out plan, he waited until his wife went to bed and killed himself. He could have made other choices. ****, he could have got hammered, called some hookers and did a bunch of blow.

Everyone has heartache. Suicide at 63 is not a tradegy, his was a decision, he had over 45 years of being an adult to decide this. Tragic is young people. This was a thought out plan, he waited until his wife went to bed and killed himself. He could have made other choices. ****, he could have got hammered, called some hookers and did a bunch of blow.

yeah, but to some that is just Friday night.

As sad and disgusting as it is, I hope he is at peace. I hope he knew how loved he was. It was his choice, it was no one else's.

Might be safe to say you have never lost a friend or a family member to suicide. Suicide at 63 is a tragedy and no less than any other age. Depression as others have talked about is brutal. Your getting hammered comments suck BTW.

Might be safe to say you have never lost a friend or a family member to suicide. Suicide at 63 is a tragedy and no less than any other age. Depression as others have talked about is brutal. Your getting hammered comments suck BTW.

OR deal with someone who has severe depression issues......and yes it is a sickness

AND telling someone with depression issues to take alcohol.....completely uneducated

Edited by John from Hemet

The board psychologists are comparing a severed arm with a paper cut. Great...

I believe depression is a real, and very tough thing. I also believe people do not try hard enough to fight it, and they feel sorry for themselves and they put themselves in terrible situations that only make themself feel worse.

That is still a part of decision making. If you are self aware enough that you have depression and choose to do things that can make you depressed, you choose your fate then.

I have depression deep in my family, but I know some evolved out of feeling bad for one self over time. A lot of old people get it, like my grandpa, a carpenter, who was a young man in his early 60s when he had some physical issues that stopped him from doing things he loved, and he began to just lose his will.

This is a different depression than WIlliams. Mine was more like his, heck, I was on all sorts of pills throughout my life.

One persons depression is not anyone else's. Those like Shep Smith, and all the other armchair psychologists who knee-jerk to the "suicide is an act of selfishness" are a bit simple. Depression lies, they say. It convinces people that their loved ones would be better off without them... of course that isn't true, but when somebody suffers this disease, they are not thinking as rational as somebody, who say, has the blues every now and again. Edited by Buftex

Obviously it's a varied thing and needs to be treated on a case-by-case basis. if someone has a terminal illness or chronic unbearable pain, for example, and can only be kept alive with heavy drugs, and they determine they want off the medication because they dont want to live this way and let nature take it's course, I can accept that. (i was btw a supporter of Kevorkian).

But in some emotional cases when someone is using it to get attention or harm someone else, especially when they have others depending on them, then yes I think it's a selfish act.

Depression is the middling scenario gray area ... if someone is depressed and alone and decides theyd rather off themselves, then so be it. But what about when they have a new wife and 3 offspring? Even if theyre in emotional pain, isn't it worth suffering thru it for their sake?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

The board psychologists are comparing a severed arm with a paper cut. Great...

One persons depression is not anyone else's. Those like Shep Smith, and all the other armchair psychologists who knee-jerk to the "suicide is an act of selfishness" are a bit simple. Depression lies, they say. It convinces people that their loved ones would be better off without them... of course that isn't true, but when somebody suffers this disease, they are not thinking as rational as somebody, who say, has the blues every now and again.

People who are depressed don't think their loved ones would be better off without them. They don't think of their loved ones. They don't think of anyone but themselves, and they don't think of anything but escaping the pain they're in.

And I'll put my knowledge of it up against yours any day of the week. I've got more first-hand knowledge than I'd ever want, and not just of my own depression and suicide attempts.

People who are depressed don't think their loved ones would be better off without them. They don't think of their loved ones. They don't think of anyone but themselves, and they don't think of anything but escaping the pain they're in.

And I'll put my knowledge of it up against yours any day of the week. I've got more first-hand knowledge than I'd ever want, and not just of my own depression and suicide attempts.

99% of cases I agree. 1% is someone doing something rash and stupid to solve a short term solution - break up, bad news, etc.

I, too also speak from experiences in life.

Williams spent much of his adult life pretending to be someone else. He may never had a chance to deal with his depression

I was one of the lucky ones and able to face it with a ton of support, but even now I still have bad days when I wonder if the world would be better without me. Those thoughts terrify me, but they do happen.

Williams spent much of his adult life pretending to be someone else. He may never had a chance to deal with his depression

I was one of the lucky ones and able to face it with a ton of support, but even now I still have bad days when I wonder if the world would be better without me. Those thoughts terrify me, but they do happen.

if you ever feel that way, we're here

and if you saved my number, feel free to call. this year you definitely need to stop by the tbdhot. i still have your number in the PM's and will make sure you come by or at least have your girlfriend stop over.

Not denying your credentials Tom....I have a bit of a resume myself. I have no issues with anything you have posted... but I also get tired of people who don't know a thing about what they are talking about, speaking so definitively on the topic. And the ones who compare their situation to somebody else's are particularly galling. Of course they are trying to escape pain...but the sources of that pain can come from any myriad of places...including low self esteem...chicken and egg argument...

I lost YOUNG friends to suicide, and that was sad, and tragic. I have also just said in my post that you copied just a piece of that my grandfather lost his will.