Round 2 : Sale of the team

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://profootballta...-to-collapsing/

"The clearest objective evidence regarding the coming collapse of the attempt to buy the Bills comes from the cancellation of a Wednesday tour of Ralph Wilson Stadium. It’s part of the due diligence process for all finalists, and with the tour canceled and not expected to be rescheduled, it will be impossible for the Bon Jovi bid to be accepted."

So it looks like it's time to turn out the lights, because for Bon Jovi and the Toronto group, the partys over!!

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Golisano not "possessed about owning the Bills"

Quote: ""The important thing is someone buys (the team) and keeps it in Western New York," he said. "Do I feel it has to be me? No, I'm not possessed about owning the Buffalo Bills, just as I wasn't possessed about owning the Buffalo Sabres. They were in danger of leaving, too. In fact they were a lot closer to leaving than the Bills are. I got involved then because I wanted to keep that entity in Western New York, and I want to keep the Buffalo Bills in Western New York."

Quote: ""The important thing is someone buys (the team) and keeps it in Western New York," he said. "Do I feel it has to be me? No, I'm not possessed about owning the Buffalo Bills, just as I wasn't possessed about owning the Buffalo Sabres. They were in danger of leaving, too. In fact they were a lot closer to leaving than the Bills are. I got involved then because I wanted to keep that entity in Western New York, and I want to keep the Buffalo Bills in Western New York."

This is pretty much what he has said since owning the Sabres. I am not sure why he is getting involved now except maybe he doesn't take the accounts of the Pegula's bidding for granted.

the article is dated june 5

For whatever it's worth:

Kevin Massare @KevinMassare · 22h

So cool, in about a month, Pegula will own all of buffalo lol.

Say what you want about Massare, but he's usually got good info...and this meshes almost exactly with what I've been hearing (and I would venture--although I'm sure they'll correct me if I'm wrong--with what Kelly and Kirby have heard as well).

I've heard that they have a benchmark date in mind (I believe Russ discussed it with the other owners), but I don't know exactly what that date is...

That might be but we should probably tell ourselves we will find out after the Owner's meeting. This way if it gets announced early we are happy; otherwise, we aren't disappoint before then.

That said, I assume we will hear the name before that meeting with the headline being "The Owner's are expected to vote on whether of not to approve X as the next owner of the Buffalo Bills".

That might be but we should probably tell ourselves we will find out after the Owner's meeting. This way if it gets announced early we are happy; otherwise, we aren't disappoint before then.

That said, I assume we will hear the name before that meeting with the headline being "The Owner's are expected to vote on whether of not to approve X as the next owner of the Buffalo Bills".

I feel pretty confident that we'll know who the Trust has selected in advance of the owner's meeting. I also expect that the moment it leaks it will be accompanied with the tagline "owners are expected to unanimously approve Pegula at the upcoming October meetings".

Because honestly, they'll approve him the moment it becomes official; the only thing not official will be the meeting minutes proving they voted.

Correct. Provided to give insight into TG's thinking, straight from the horse's mouth.

There was a change in the perception of Golisano's intentions after John Kryk of the Toronto Sun blogged about Golisano being "in it to win it" in mid-July. So, I think the most likely explanation for Golisano's continued involvement in the bidding process thus far is not that he wants to drive up the price, but that he wants to own the team.

There was a change in the perception of Golisano's intentions after John Kryk of the Toronto Sun blogged about Golisano being "in it to win it" in mid-July. So, I think the most likely explanation for Golisano's continued involvement in the bidding process thus far is not that he wants to drive up the price, but that he wants to own the team.

The first article is him restating what he has said all along the second has someone referencing a source that goes against everything he has said in the past. Which is more likely? Someone does not drop a billion dollars after just coming to the realization they are "in it to win it" ... seems unlikely from a person like Golisano who is prudent and deliberate with his words and actions.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

The first article is him restating what he has said all along the second has someone referencing a source that goes against everything he has said in the past. Which is more likely? Someone does not drop a billion dollars after just coming to the realization they are "in it to win it" ... seems unlikely from a person like Golisano who is prudent and deliberate with his words and actions.

I think Golisano wants to own Bills, I just don't think he wants to own them at any cost. I think Pegula wants to own them at any cost. I think it's a difference in philosophy and TG not mixing business and emotion, whereas Pegs will. I prefer Pegs, because, I think he would spend to win, i.e. facilities, coaches, players etc., whereas TG might be more "responsible".

From what I'm hearing, under 900 mill is an embarrassment to the NFL, and that because the bids are so low that the NFL is upset with Morgan Stanley who screwed this who thing up so badly with their "ultra restrictive non disclosure agreement"...ultra secretive bid process. The comish is going to try and speak to the Wilson trust into firing them.

Redo the entire process and have it open so there will be more competition in the bidding process allowing others to openly know what the bids are. This could draw out the sale until next year.

Just some speculation to think about here :D

From what I'm hearing, under 900 mill is an embarrassment to the NFL, and that because the bids are so low that the NFL is upset with Morgan Stanley who screwed this who thing up so badly with their "ultra restrictive non disclosure agreement"...ultra secretive bid process. The comish is going to try and speak to the Wilson trust into firing them.

Redo the entire process and have it open so there will be more competition in the bidding process allowing others to openly know what the bids are. This could draw out the sale until next year.

Just some speculation to think about here :D

The Jags reportedly sold for $760 million a couple years ago. Buffalo is small market and the sale of the Bills involves a restrictive lease and restrictive NDA. And who knows what else the trust is requesting that might temper the bidding.

Furthermore, we don't really know what anyone is bidding. Unnamed sources are reporting bids anywhere from $800 million to $1.3 billion.

I don't think any part of this process is embarrassing to the NFL. In fact, I suspect Jamestown native Roger Goodell is happy with how things are playing out so far. I bet he's a closet Bills fan so he'll be thrilled if Pegula buys the team at whatever price.

The only thing that would make Goodell and the NFL happier is if WNY builds a new state-of-the-art stadium.

Why does it seem like im the only one that knew the nonbinding bids would be between $800-$900 million?

Also why does Forbes seem to have an issue with Morgan Stanley? They work for the trust. This is not a free for all sale. Im very confused with some of the comments.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Fair enough. I don't make too much of Kryk's 'familiar with Golisano's intentions' sourcing, it's just something I remember being covered by all of the Buffalo media outlets at the time. This was mid-July and Pegula had not confirmed that it was his intention to buy the Bills. Now Pegula's in, and Golisano has continued to be involved. We'll see if Golisano makes a final winning bid.